Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGCE Chemistry

• 21-08-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering beginning a PGCE in Chemistry education in September 2016 and am loaded with questions!

I hold a BSc. (Hons) in Chemistry (2.1) and a PhD in Chemistry. I believe I will be eligible for a bursary of £25,000 with these qualifications but do I need to apply for this bursary?!

I'm also wondering if I'm eligible for a UK government loan for tuition fees (which are £9,000). How is this loan paid back?! Also - if I leave the UK before the loan is paid back how does that work?

Last question (for now) - after my PGCE year would I be a fully qualified teacher and be able to use my qualification outside of the UK or is there a probationary year which must be completed?

I'll leave this here for a while if anyone has any info OP, but this is mainly Irish related.. there is a 'Teaching Abroad' sub-forum if you want to try that.. or else maybe try the TES discussion forum (that's a UK website).
    MOD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawney

I did a PGCE in the UK a few years ago. the bursary then was automatically awarded, you didn't have to apply.. Once you're registered with the uni. You can apply for a tuition fee loan yes, it's paid back once you start earning over a certain amount. If you're not working in the UK you still have to pay it back, they ask you annually for evidence of your salary and let you know how much you need to pay monthly. I'm currently paying about €100/month.
    After your PGCE you have to do an NQT year in order to be classed as a qualified teacher. The NQT year is 3 complete terms, though you don't have to do them all in the same year, as some people have trouble getting work immediately and end up subbing.
    There's also a golden hello for teaching a priority subject, which chemistry is. This is awarded after a year of teaching, aimed at encouraging graduates to stick it out.
    Hope this helps!

Advertisement