Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any course worth doing - post college?

Options
  • 21-08-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hey Guy's, so i have finished college a few years ago - computer science.
    I'm now working for a software company as an automated tester. Using Selenium and JUnit. My goal is to get into proper java development. My company are quite good about paying for further education, so i could do a evening course or something. Are there any beneficial courses? That could help get into java development. Or should i just continue to do work on my own, contribute to Github myself etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I would expect that having a (degree?) in computer science and having secured a job that you should be able to get into Java development without further training. You are already doing JUnit; I'm surprised that your company is not having you develop also.

How does the process work? Others develop and you write the JUnit tests for them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If you want, you can pursue Certifications in your own time in Java Development and other Oracle tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

If you want to make the jump to dev from testing maybe its something you should discuss with your manager? Your (degree?) like the onemorechance says should be enough to start in development.

If you want to progress your education and the company is willing to pay, have you considered doing a masters?

Advertisement