Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check how much electricity is being used

Options
  • 21-08-2015 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for advice. I know from online that there are devices that can be plugged into the electricity to see what watts are being used. Is there any specific to Ireland? How are they installed-do I need an electrician? Our bills are skyrocketing so I want to pinpoint whether anything is eating electricity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,388 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I had one sent by the electricity company as part of a scheme. One part clips around the mains kine in the meter box and it transmits to the display unit which is plugged into the wall. Couldn't be simpler to install but I don't know how accurate it is. You can see major jumps in usage.

Kettle uses 2.3 kw/hr
    Shower uses 6-7

it's pretty accurate with lights and it reports within a few seconds of turning things on or off.

I think they are fairly cheap to buy but I'm sure they are a great investment as they make you mindful of hoe much you're using.

I stopped brushing my teeth in the shower once I saw it was so electricity intensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭geosynchronous orbit

Well, not specific to Ireland but I have an Owl monitor - it is 67 euro and does not require an electrician - just clips on to
    the outlet from your meter. Great for graphing your usage and seeing your instantaneous usage... but....
    there is no substitute for just switching stuff off at the wall when not in use.

When I got my monitor about 2years ago, it made me see the amount of electricity we were using but hair dryers still need
    to be used, clothes washed (and dried), dinners cooked etc.

To be honest, we don;'t really use the graphing etc anymore, but I like to see the instantantaneous usage figures,
    usually it is followed by a roar of 'did someone forget to turn off the immersion!!

I get a warm feeling going to be and I see 0.025 kw/H usage - not so much when dinner is being prepared
    and I see 4.567 kw/H usage

http://theowlireland.com/electricity-saving-device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks guys will look into them so and chat to our electrician. He's out to put up a sensor light anyways

Advertisement