Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laburnum and Privet

Options
  • 21-08-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi there

Looking for advice for the following...pics attached

I planted the privet hedge a year and a half ago, it's to hide a bio unit, I haven't touched it at all and I think it needs pruning to make it bushy at the bottom. Is it ok to do this now? I think I probably should have done it earlier perhaps. Do I leave it during the winter?

Secondly, the laburnum I have was planted a year ago also (bare root)..It's in a good spot, well drained, slightly sloping....but it is so spindley looking, should I be cutting the bottom shoots? It's also looking a little yellow.

Any advice and experience on these two would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

You really need to get rid of the grass at the base of the plants. They'll do better next year if you do. The biggest risk is lawnmower or strimmer damage.

They look fine for now, but might need tidying next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Thanks for reply, I was in the process of ridding the grass that is behind the privet, the other side is lawn. I'm careful when mowing, and just hand clip around the hedge after. Do you think then I need not prune them back at all, and just leave till next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Yes you can trim the privet hedge now. I wound cut the new shoots half way down.
    All young Laburnum look kind of spindly. I wouldn't prune it, but it probably could do with a little fertiliser like chicken manure pallets or similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Thanks for reply, I was in the process of ridding the grass that is behind the privet, the other side is lawn. I'm careful when mowing, and just hand clip around the hedge after. Do you think then I need not prune them back at all, and just leave till next year?

You could trim it now but won't have any effect until next year. Clear a nice strip on both sides of the trunks of the privet ... and a nice circle around the laburnum. Grass steals water and nutrients from plants. Makes it easier to mow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree about the privet, cut it down by pretty much half. Sounds drastic but it will turn it into a proper hedge rather than tall, bare based shrubs that you have at the moment. Cut the privet now, trim all leading branches at least a bit - eg front and back, but take down the height considerably. The laburnum looks fine to me, bit spindly ok but it is young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

looksee wrote: »
    I agree about the privet, cut it down by pretty much half. Sounds drastic but it will turn it into a proper hedge rather than tall, bare based shrubs that you have at the moment. Cut the privet now, trim all leading branches at least a bit - eg front and back, but take down the height considerably. The laburnum looks fine to me, bit spindly ok but it is young.
    Cutting the hedge by half is pointless unless the base is kept clear of all weeds all of the time.
    OP there is absolutely no need to prune them by half to encourage growth at the base, there are already shoots and leave present at the base on most of them and once you clear the grass and weeds completely, the privet will start to produce new buds/shoots at the base.
    It is helpful to trim the plant to encourage new growth, but all that is needed is a light trim, no more than an inch or two.

Well there you have it op, flat contradiction, maybe you should google it and see what others have to say. I'm not disputing that clearing the ground a bit would help btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Well I cleared the grass all around the privet today properly, there are indeed little shoots that were stifled by that long grass.
    I think, for a happy medium, I will trim the new shoots a couple of inches all around...it can only encourage bushier growth from what I've read.

Thanks also for laburnum advice. I've only ever seen established trees, so seeing my weedy looking I thought it needed some tlc.

Well there you have it op, flat contradiction, maybe you should google it and see what others have to say. I'm not disputing that clearing the ground a bit would help btw.
    Yes google it, is that where you got your advice?.;):pac::pac:
    OP the trouble with free advice, is that you have to very sure of the source otherwise you'll end up paying substantially more than if you were to pay for it in the first place.

Yes google it, is that where you got your advice?.;):pac::pac:
    OP the trouble with free advice, is that you have to very sure of the source otherwise you'll end up paying substantially more than if you were to pay for it in the first place.

No, I got my advice from a lifetime of gardening and experience, and a (deeply boring) hedge of privet that edged the entire garden of my house when I was a child. I realise that this does not begin to compare with a certificate in landscape gardening.

• Advertisement

No, I got my advice from a lifetime of gardening and experience, and a (deeply boring) hedge of privet that edged the entire garden of my house when I was a child. I realise that this does not begin to compare with a certificate in landscape gardening.
    Ah I see, and from this lifetime experience of pruning your own hedge you have found that when the lower part of the plant is devoid of leaves the remedy is to prune the plant by half?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Ah I see, and from this lifetime experience of pruning your own hedge you have found that when the lower part of the plant is devoid of leaves the remedy is to prune the plant by half?.

The sarcasm is unnecessary and makes you look childish. Disagree by all means but there is no call for personal attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I greaw a privet hedge from cuttings in the last few years and both pieces of advice are valid. you should trim it to encourage outward growth and removing the grass will help although I didn't clear the grass every year and it still established fine. I would also recommend thinning out the top to form a slightly conical shape to encourage thickness at the base..handbags at dawn.

Advertisement