Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine for SE Asia

Options
  • 21-08-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭

Myself and my friend are going travelling around South East Asia & Japan for 10 weeks in October.

I'm currently living in the UK while he is in Ireland and it's been recommended for me to get the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine while he hasn't. I've been reading up a bit on it and I'm basically wondering if we should get it?

I'm after getting all the other vaccines (One of the good things here is the majority are only £8 each while rabies is £90) however the Japanese vaccine is £180 in total.

So did others who did the trip get it and would you advise it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EJ Aza

tok9 wrote: »
    Myself and my friend are going travelling around South East Asia & Japan for 10 weeks in October.

I'm currently living in the UK while he is in Ireland and it's been recommended for me to get the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine while he hasn't. I've been reading up a bit on it and I'm basically wondering if we should get it?

I'm after getting all the other vaccines (One of the good things here is the majority are only £8 each while rabies is £90) however the Japanese vaccine is £180 in total.

So did others who did the trip get it and would you advise it?

I didn't have been to SE Asia a good few times, a lot of hiking too. Didn't get rabies either. You need to go to a hospital even if you do get the vaccine apparently it just buys you a little more time but the risks are not great presuming you are doing the usual tourist stuff. I have been off the beaten track in Central America and SE Asia numerous times and have, touch wood, been OK. Have a few friends who have got dengue and a couple with malaria but they are hard to prevent.

I don't know anyone who has either of them to be honest even out of my friends who have been travelling continously for the last few years.

I just get the most essential every time I go somewhere. Have my hep B from college, hep A, typhoid, polio, tetanus, dip. Will be getting the yellow fever vaccine this year as travelling to Colombia.

Have loads of anti malarial tabs here at home, both malarone and doxy, cost me a fortune but couldn't take them as they didn't agree with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Thanks for the response. My friend was in to get more vaccines today and they said they have essentially never given that vaccine, only the once in fact.

They discussed it in a bit more detail and as you said it shouldn't really affect tourists that much as it's more likely to happen in rural areas during the rainy season which we really shouldn't be around anyway.

Advertisement