Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermediate care operative 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

Jesus the wages are embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

mojopin10 wrote: »
    Jesus the wages are embarrassing

Apparently from talking to some of the lads it gets better after shift allowance etc and plent of overtime :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

Yeah I heard that too but it's so grim the wages that are going for those tough tough jobs. The new guards, I.C.O's, nurses, paramedics, fire service lots of jobs with a lot less skills and responsibility make more than them. I know after a while you go up grades of pay but from the minute you get a job like that you should be fairly compensated for the things you have to do.

mojopin10 wrote: »
    Yeah I heard that too but it's so grim the wages that are going for those tough tough jobs. The new guards, I.C.O's, nurses, paramedics, fire service lots of jobs with a lot less skills and responsibility make more than them. I know after a while you go up grades of pay but from the minute you get a job like that you should be fairly compensated for the things you have to do.

True

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr ice

The penalty points declaration seems to be handled by the driving license authority now, takes a week and costs 15 quid.

• Advertisement

mr ice wrote: »
    The penalty points declaration seems to be handled by the driving license authority now, takes a week and costs 15 quid.

Yep you call NDLS and pay €15euro for it

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

There's no Shift Allowance. Extended shifts and subsistence brings up pay. Also if you get restored for weekends you get Saturday allowance approx €12 extra and the Sunday Premium ie. double pay. Remember not all bases have weekend rosters.

mr ice wrote: »

They will email out aswell I'm told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

I have the qualifications and Licenses but im not sure whether or not to apply. I don't know much about the role bar the fact they are a PT transport ambulance mainly operating a non-serious non-life threatening transport facility.

I would also be dropping a good 10/15k in wages which is not good

What are you guys/girls doing? Are many applying for it? Does this lead into Paramedic at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bilirubin

megabantz wrote: »
    I have the qualifications and Licenses but im not sure whether or not to apply. I don't know much about the role bar the fact they are a PT transport ambulance mainly operating a non-serious non-life threatening transport facility.
    I'm not an ICO myself but I'm told ICOs could be assigned to a major emergency call to help assist paramedic crew i.e. a cardiac arrest scenario or to attend a scene to treat and stabilise if nearby and a paramedic crew will be delayed getting on scene.

I would also be dropping a good 10/15k in wages which is not good
    That is a risk you have to weigh up yourself. In fairness that is a given whenever you change job career, you kind of have to expect to take a wage cut to start off with.
    What are you guys/girls doing? Are many applying for it? Does this lead into Paramedic at all?

My guess is there will be loads of EMTs applying. There is a huge abundance of EMTs doing courses and waiting for HSE ICO and Paramedics jobs to appear. I'm aware of loads of EMTs who want to apply for ICO and from observation half of them don't have their D1 or C1 licence sorted yet. Anyone else observe some EMT's are very slow are sorting out their driving licence? I met one guy at a upskilling training session who had done an EMT course privately 2 years before me and wanted to get into the ambulance service. He didnt even have his B licence and was still working odd jobs. I told him he did he not know that unless he has his EMT qualification and D1 & C1 licence he cant get any EMT's jobs, his answer was yeah I must get that sorted... unbelievable...rant over. Other EMTs have gone to England because they are eager to start their new career and can't wait for the HSE to advertise the jobs.

I know some paramedics and they told me there seems to be a career path process in place to allow ICO progress to paramedic level, obviously they will have to be pass entry level tests, so it's not a given. It is also mentioned in the documents on the HSE website
    NRS02848 Intermediate Care Operative - Job Specification & Terms and Conditions

Development, Education & Training

"Intermediate Care Operatives who carry out the duties of this grade satisfactorily may be eligible to apply in the normal way for support in progressing to the Emergency Medical Service."

"Progression to Paramedic training may be available to Intermediate Care Service Personnel, following advertisement, application and successful completion of the selection process, who wish to develop a career in the Emergency Medical Service. Initial acceptance for this level of training will be determined upon satisfactory performance of duties and following successful completion of aptitude testing, interview etc."

My advice, apply for it if you meet the requirements and you enjoyed doing the EMT course and you like this type of work. HSE jobs don't appear on a regular basis, so don't miss the boat. The process can be long before you get offered a job if you are put on a panel. If you are offered the job and decide you don't want to take the wage cut then decline the job offer and the next person will be offered it. No harm done. But if you don't apply you wont get that choice.

I know a person who took the wage cut and loves the ICO job. I also know of a person who went through the whole process and got offered ICO and last minute he decided he couldn't take the wage cut due to family financial reasons so he stayed doing he trade. But he would love to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

Call type and volume differ from region to region. Where i am, approx 80% of our calls are routine AS3 transfers. The rest is then AS2 (GP calls) and first response/back up to Echo and Delta (life threatening calls)
    We were doing low acuity 999 calls (Alpha and Omega) up until recently but managment have put a stop to this until more staff come in, as they were interfering with discharges etc.
    There is also a new inter-facility transfer standard, which will be implemented soon, called protocol 37. ICV's will play a part in this so it's worth having a look at. It's a great job in it's own right but you'll also get invaluable experience if going on to paramedic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Banana peel

Does any of you have the copy of terms and conditions and job spec and money earning please
    Thakn you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Hi folks, sorry for bringing this thread back up again!

Are the leaving certificate qualifications the same as for a Paramedic? I can't find anything relating to what secondary level education you need before applying so I'm curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

does anybody know how many they are taking on from the 2015 recruitment last month?

to the last reply, i dont think you need any specific leaving cert requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SLDT

Is anyone here on the panel?

The new panel just formed? Is there any word of them taking on? I'm hearing Feb

I'm on the panel. Heard they trained a few after the interviews when the panel went live. No idea how many they're going to take on in total.

icv1111 wrote: »
    I'm on the panel. Heard they trained a few after the interviews when the panel went live. No idea how many they're going to take on in total.

Surely if they trained a few after the panel Went live people in the top 15-20 would have been notified? I'm in the top 10 and got no correspondence about that training?

SLDT wrote: »
    Surely if they trained a few after the panel Went live people in the top 15-20 would have been notified? I'm in the top 10 and got no correspondence about that training?

I was told they took on about 15. Maybe they immediately took on the 15 and then formed the panel, where you are now.

send them an email and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

The last class was off the old panels.
    Current panel, your panel, is the 3rd panel.They will be recruiting in Feb and yee will be called on fairly quickly.

The current class was supposed to be 22 but they could't get enough people to take up the positions.

Most people on the ICO panels are also on the Trainee Paramedic panel.

• Advertisement

Parafox wrote: »
    The last class was off the old panels.
    Current panel, your panel, is the 3rd panel.They will be recruiting in Feb and yee will be called on fairly quickly.

The current class was supposed to be 22 but they could't get enough people to take up the positions.

Most people on the ICO panels are also on the Trainee Paramedic panel.

Any idea how long the 22 will take to train come february and if/when they'll be taking on the next batch after feb?

icv1111 wrote: »
    Any idea how long the 22 will take to train come february and if/when they'll be taking on the next batch after feb?

It's 5 weeks training, 3weeks driving and 2 weeks in the class room from what I've heard

expressions of interests up for various places around the country today. total of 14 i think

Another 12 expressions of interest for around the country emailed out today.

best of luck, this is moving much faster than I expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 megacubester

What number are they up to now?

Has anyone received a contract yet for start date 22nd Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Moose31

Any word on next batch of ICO's to be taken in????? Also are you given full time hours when fully trained,i've been reading some mad stuff about being put on a roster for years before getting fulltime position/hours????

Moose31

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Moose31

Hello all,

I have a query regarding new ICO postings,just wondering does anybody have any answers for me,new expressions of interest are out for current panel this is 2nd one for this panel........all areas covered are the same as 1st time eg bantry,letterkenny,waterford,mallow & Cork city............do they ever ask for expressions of interest closer to Dublin or do they always start off in these areas and then maybe you could get transfer after certain amount of time............just I live and have house in Dublin?????????

Sorry hope this makes sense.............

Moose31

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Moose31 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have a query regarding new ICO postings,just wondering does anybody have any answers for me,new expressions of interest are out for current panel this is 2nd one for this panel........all areas covered are the same as 1st time eg bantry,letterkenny,waterford,mallow & Cork city............do they ever ask for expressions of interest closer to Dublin or do they always start off in these areas and then maybe you could get transfer after certain amount of time............just I live and have house in Dublin?????????

Sorry hope this makes sense.............

Moose31

There is a fair amount of icos waiting to transfer back to the Dublin region that took up positions in the above-mentioned stations.

It could take time to get back to the region. Transfers are generally based on your start date in the Service (seniority) plus somebody would need to be replacing you for it to be granted Ie: new staff

It's always a gamble, so you need to weigh it up.

Good Luck :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ylwambulnce

Less than a year since the panel has formed. Hows everyone getting on?
    Standclear are you working as an ICO?

Advertisement