Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left with cold shower for past 2 days and over weekend

Options
  • 21-08-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Is this acceptable.
    Just moved into a place about 3 weeks ago.
    2 showers both not heating.
    1 blocked toilet (in fairness the other toilet is working).
    Told I'd get a parking permit on moving in but having got it yet.
    Alarm not set up as I was told it would be.
    Food left in freezer and presses.

Told agency about it yesterday morning and told someone would come out today at 2.30. Waited patiently but nobody has come. No call about them not coming.
    Now agency guy not answering.
    Looks like Monday now.

Is this acceptable.
    What would you recommend I do.
    Why is this the standard of renting in Ireland.
    They haven't signed me up for PRTB if that's relevant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

This is a very poor standard. All of this should have been sorted before you moved in. You should contact Threshold or Citizens Information as they could give you information as to how best to proceed with this. Although you cannot withhold your rent you should try to get a reduction in the amount you pay for one the coming months as a form of compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Not acceptable. Check they are PRTB registered. Keep note of dates and complaints. Would never treat my tenants like that. May not be possible to get plumber or electrician at short notice but arrangements should be made to deal with it asap.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Are they full electric showers or pumped showers (which require you to use immersion to heat the water first)

Btw...it would be hard to have two full electric showers unless and relay is fitted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is really irrelevat whether there is a PRTB registration or not as it will not change the OPs actions.
    OP document everything and e-mail it to LL/agent so you have a continuous record of all contact. A reasonable amount of time should be given to rectify problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is really irrelevat whether there is a PRTB registration or not as it will not change the OPs actions.
    OP document everything and e-mail it to LL/agent so you have a continuous record of all contact. A reasonable amount of time should be given to rectify problems.

No, won't fix the showers this weekend but failure to register the tenancy along with all the other crappy broken promises helps build a decent picture of the <snip> taking the rent each month....

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

We have two showers, unless heating or immersion is on there is no hot water....could the op not realise that their showers may be same system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No, won't fix the showers this weekend but failure to register the tenancy along with all the other crappy broken promises helps build a decent picture of the <snip> taking the rent each month....

It's a little early to be calling them <snip>. They have 30 days to register a tenancy without penalty. It's not always that easy to get someone to fix these problems immediately. A little patience is required before going nuclear on it. A cold shower is hardly 3rd world conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It's a little early to be calling them <snip>. They have 30 days to register a tenancy without penalty. It's not always that easy to get someone to fix these problems immediately. A little patience is required before going nuclear on it. A cold shower is hardly 3rd world conditions.

TWO cold showers.
    One BLOCKED toilet.
    A no-show from the plumber.
    A letting agent dodging calls.

Dirtbag is the right term.

Edit: Don't forget, last tennants food left in fridge and no parking permit either.

This isn't a complaint about a dripping tap or a draughty window.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hi
    Told agency about it yesterday morning

So you moved in three weeks ago, noticed the problems then, but only reported them yesterday?

I think I can see why the agent may not have a sense of urgency about these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Thanks for the replies.
    Just to clarify showers are not electric. They work off immersion so (as I was instructed to do) you just turn on the boost and I was told you'd get hot water for 2 showers during the day.
    Nothing of the sort has happened.

• Advertisement

So you moved in three weeks ago, noticed the problems then, but only reported them yesterday?

I think I can see why the agent may not have a sense of urgency about these issues.

This is only in your head. Not what I said.
    I noticed this yesterday morning.

If it makes a difference (it doesn't):

I asked for permit on moving in and didn't get after three weeks.
    Ditto for the alarm.
    I was away until yesterday morning and reported the toilet and shower upon finding the problems with them YESTERDAY MORNING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This is only in your head. Not what I said.
    I noticed this yesterday morning.

Where does your OP say this?
    Hi
    Is this acceptable.
    2 showers both not heating.
    1 blocked toilet (in fairness the other toilet is working).
    Told I'd get a parking permit on moving in but having got it yet.
    Alarm not set up as I was told it would be.
    Food left in freezer and presses.

Told agency about it yesterday morning and told someone would come out today at 2.30. Waited patiently but nobody has come. No call about them not coming.
    Now agency guy not answering.
    Looks like Monday now.

Is this acceptable.
    What would you recommend I do.
    Why is this the standard of renting in Ireland.
    They haven't signed me up for PRTB if that's relevant.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Where does your OP say this?

I never said my OP said anything.
    I only said what she posted is not what I said.
    So her inference seems to have originated in her head. As your inference that I said something seems to have.

Jaysus.

Edit:
    For what it's worth (not much incidentally but i'll pander to your imagined scenario) such a delay that's being imagined would be largely moot to the tardiness of a landlord's response anyway.
    At the risk of digression into this imagined scenario would your point be that a landlord's tardiness is more justified if a tenant delayed reporting.

Can we get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,919 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thanks for the replies.
    Just to clarify showers are not electric. They work off immersion so (as I was instructed to do) you just turn on the boost and I was told you'd get hot water for 2 showers during the day.
    Nothing of the sort has happened.

Turn on the boost *when* and get water for "2 showers during the day"

If you hit it at 9am there isn't going to be hot water at 9pm. Or realistically at 10am if you have one shower at 9am, for that matter.

It'll heat enough water for 2 showers immediately (and after each other) assuming its a normal 30 minute countdown timer

L1011 wrote: »
    Turn on the boost *when* and get water for "2 showers during the day"

If you hit it at 9am there isn't going to be hot water at 9pm. Or realistically at 10am if you have one shower at 9am, for that matter.

It'll heat enough water for 2 showers immediately (and after each other) assuming its a normal 30 minute countdown timer

This is all irrelevant (i only detailed the setup out of courtesy to distinguish it from an electric shower).

The relevant point is there is no hot water at all. That means no hot water 1 minute after boost set.
    No hot water 10 minutes after boost set
    No hot water 20 minutes after boost set
    No hot water 30 minutes after boost set
    None one hour after boost set
    None 2 hours after boost set
    No hot water.

I'm aware that this concept can be tricky so I'll do my best to answer any questions ye have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note
    OP, you have already had a warning for being uncivil. People have taken the time to try and help you and you don't seem to appreciate that. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement