Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Couch 25k To Where Ever

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

diego_b wrote: »
    Excellent stuff, well done! Another couch to 5K grad here btw. Keeping up the good work!!

Thanks Diego b , I didn't know you are a c25k grad, I remember you from last years novice thread which I folloed with great interest at the time, It was lovely meeting you In Mc G, I think I said something to you abour being from the sticks, Classy what? Sorry aboout that my head was not in the game at that time.
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Well done Tom, delighted for you. Your positive attitude is incredible - there aren't many runners out there who could get into trouble that far out and manage not only to finish, but to enjoy the experience as well. Brilliant stuff, can't wait to see what you do next.

Thanks TG I appreciate that. You know I never looked on it as being in trouble , I was in real trouble in Frank Duffy, I really dont know how I finished that day but Sunday was different. I never doubted I'd finish, never though I had to stop running, the only stops I remember making were for the text messages to family and to eat a bar.

Of course now that you say it I realise I was indeed in trouble and it could have turned into a very difficult day, I was just too focused on getting to the line to realise that.

Just in from Pilates Class , I though I was in good shape to return to running, I'm not so sure now, I have a lot of tightness in a lot of places. I am still planning to run Saturday but its going to be a very easy session.

I enjoyed the class none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Superb report & performance TM, delighted for you. Might bump into you at the Jingle Bells.

tang1 wrote: »
    Superb report & performance TM, delighted for you. Might bump into you at the Jingle Bells.

Thanks Tang1 , Would love to say hi in person too , Thanks for all the support along the way all those likes on my post's didn't go unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thanks Diego b , I didn't know you are a c25k grad, I remember you from last years novice thread which I folloed with great interest at the time, It was lovely meeting you In Mc G, I think I said something to you abour being from the sticks, Classy what? Sorry aboout that my head was not in the game at that time.

I am indeed but in saying that it wasn't off the boards thread (never noticed it before the mention in report)....will def keep and eye on it as think I could off some advice to few people on it from time to time. I did a NHS Choices Couch to 5K podcast starting in May 2013 and did my first 5K race in November that year...have kept up and built on the running since then.
    No probs at all, for sure I think you did but it was not taken anyway bad....I am in the sticks (originally from a different set of sticks) and wouldn't have it any other way! I am still trying to figure/recall who I actually met there anyways...usernames/real names get mixed up!!

I am indeed but in saying that it wasn't off the boards thread (never noticed it before the mention in report)....will def keep and eye on it as think I could off some advice to few people on it from time to time. I did a NHS Choices Couch to 5K podcast starting in May 2013 and did my first 5K race in November that year...have kept up and built on the running since then.
    No probs at all, for sure I think you did but it was not taken anyway bad....I am in the sticks (originally from a different set of sticks) and wouldn't have it any other way! I am still trying to figure/recall who I actually met there anyways...usernames/real names get mixed up!!

Cheers . It's all a bit of a blur really .

I used those podcasts too . Some days I could still do wit lauras help. Started in Feb 2013 but had two lapses for a couple of months each time .

Cheers . It's all a bit of a blur really .

I used those podcasts too . Some days I could still do wit lauras help. Started in Feb 2013 but had two lapses for a couple of months each time .

Very good, I have recommended them to a few people but had yet to know of another person to use them as well. Found them brilliant to use at the time, very well put together and manageable/achieveable. Still not sure how I managed to run at the weight I was at the time.
    Well done on keeping it up now, it kinda becomes a self sustaining thing after a time as you know what it took to get you to where you are and don't want to slip back to old ways or have to try do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Well done on keeping it up now, it kinda becomes a self sustaining thing after a time as you know what it took to get you to where you are and don't want to slip back to old ways or have to try do it again.

Very true. It took me three or four failed attempts over the years before I finally completed the programme last year. I think half the reason I've kept up the running since is that the thought of doing it again is terrifying!

You another graduate TG didn't know that or perhaps I did and forgot .

That program has changed so many people's life for the better it's unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Yep. I still think of that 20 minute run at the end of week 5 as one of my better running achievements. My legs were like jelly after it!

tailgunner wrote: »
    Yep. I still think of that 20 minute run at the end of week 5 as one of my better running achievements. My legs were like jelly after it!

Yup, isn't that the week where it tells you that you have ran for 20mins so now you can effectively run for any distance...I def use that mental cue when the going is tough or when I first thought about doing the marathon last year.

Funny thats the week I knew I could complete the program, up to that I just laughed when I saw walk 5 run 20 walk 5 on the plan which was stuck on my fridge. I was on such a high after that run.

I see the current runners in the c25k thread expressing the same doubts and before the run and the elation after it, It will always be one of my running highlights too.

Heading out for my first run since DCM this morning, the back of a Parkrun is the plan, I'm actually excited at the thoughs of getting back into it. I've read a good bit about recovering properly from marathon so November is going to be a very easy month but at least I'm back.

I have also been giving the future a bit of though,is Strength and conditioning is going to be addressed, diet will also be improved, Its not bad but there is room for improvement. Running wise I want to incorporate a little more "speed" work into my routine, I feel I've lost the little bit of speed I had in marathon training with all the easy running, perhaps that's just my perception.

I hope to do lots of parkruns and other races too, I have pb's at all distances now except 5 mile, for the first time I have targets to try beat which is really exciting as I will be better able to guage my progress. Another Marathon is a definite, not sure when but I loved it and have to have more of that , Funny I though that would be a one off thing but no.

Now I just need to find/formulate a plan which incorporates all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Raheny 5 to set that PB ? It' s a great race and a popular one too. Kids races beforehand as well if the grandkids are going come cheer you on. Looking forward to seeing you smash those PBs over the next while. Most important thing is to stay well and injury-free so some extra S&C will be a good investment.

, Went out to St. Annes for the parkrun this morning , It was cold but nice . Started out at the very back and took it nice and handy. quicker than planned though finishing in 30:10 . Just as I arrived they called all last weeks marathon runners for a photo so I joined in , everone else had they marathon shirt on so I felt a little odd a I didn't wear mine for some odd reason .

Good to be back though and all is good afterwards.

• Advertisement

Went out for 1.5 miles yesterday with my daughter who's on week 5 of the couch 2 5 k program. Nice and easy pace, I'm doing the week 5 run 3, her first 20 minute run with her on Thursday.

Was out on the bike today for a few miles just to keep the legs turning over. Plan 4 miles easy tomorrow on my own . No niggles so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

"I have since explained to him that Grandad didn’t lose , that there are no losers when it comes to running a marathon , everyone that puts in the work and toes the line at the start of a Marathon are out and out Winners."

That brought a smile to my miserable Monday face.

Well done, great achievement

TbL

"I have since explained to him that Grandad didn’t lose , that there are no losers when it comes to running a marathon , everyone that puts in the work and toes the line at the start of a Marathon are out and out Winners."

That brought a smile to my miserable Monday face.

Well done, great achievement

TbL
    Thanks Tbl . Love the humour in your log, the running is not too shoddy either.

The best of luck with the marathon . Enjoy your taper.

The 4 miles easy didn't happen, My daughter asked me to do another c25k run with her so we met up after work to do just that along the coast .

The plan is she'll finish the plan before xmas and we'll do a 5k race together over the festive season.

2 x 8 minute runs @10.50 and 10.25 pace . A lot quicker that I was in my time but we chatted away for the runs so it is easy for her, the benefit of being young and fit.

More of the same on thursday so after that I'll get back to my own routine.

1.75 miles today @11.29 pace c25k week 5 run 3 . Nice easy run with my daughter again .

• Advertisement

I went to my Pilates class last night, I'm really concentrating on doing the moves properly now with proper breathing technique not that I wasn't trying to do them properly before. Feeling it in the legs this morning which I'm taking as a sign I did it right. I think I'm going to give James Dunnes 30 day challenge another go, I did week one two years ago and then gave it up but I really do need to improve my strength.

I got my 5 miles in today at a decent pace for me. It was a really nice day for running . Set off with the intention to run easy but as soon as I started I just wanted to run at a steady pace so that's what I did . My best run since dcm . I felt a few twinges in left hamstring and right glute nothing serious but a reminder not to do too much too soon.
    More c25k tomorrow and a couple of easy rus on the card s this coming week. Loved my run today .

5.06 miles @ 9.38 pace

Really nice conditions today and scenery . I went out to Newbridge house with my daugher for her c25k wk 6 day 1 run .

2 miles including 2x3 minute walkIing in 24 minutes .

4.15 miles today @10.40 pace not much to add to that , it's another few miles in the legs.

Enjoying the down time but missing being on a plan tbh .

Got out at lunchtime today for 5 easy miles, fecking cold out there , enjoyable run all the same once I thawed out.

Busy with other stuff this week so it's all a bit hit and miss, Probably wont get out again until Sunday now, hoping things will easy off next week to allow a little more time for running

5 miles @11 min pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I finished the C25K app and ran a 5k in 33 mins and lost 41 pounds in the process :) Im now using the 10K app by Zenlabs. I actually paid for the pro version this time as I fell its worth every cent. Even though im using strava to monitor by pace and distance.

I was going to run in the Killarney Park Run this morning but the roads were a bit icy and I live about 25 Kms away with pretty bad roads.

I started from week 8 I think with the app. 10 minutes running followed by 1 minute walking X4. Not including the 5 minute warm up and warm down on strava I managed 6.6 km in 44 minutes with a pace of 6.31 Km.

A local bridge was closed for reapirs so there was a lot more traffic on the road than normal. I had to stop a few times to let cars pass which slowed the pace a bit. But im still very happy with the result.

Nice going pc user I assume you intended to post this in the c25k thread .

I posted one of my updates there a few weeks ago . Both thread titles being so similar.

Had my own c25k outing with my daughter this evening

2 miles @11 minute pace .

Nice going pc user I assume you intended to post this in the c25k thread .
    Nope im finished with that, On to bigger and better lol.

pcuser wrote: »
    Nope im finished with that, On to bigger and better lol.

Ah cool. Congratulations on finishing the program.

I see you're onto the 10k plan now . It'll be no bother to you . You should also consider starting a log like this one . I've a feeling you are on a journey and the log will help you and others as you proceed.

Thats a great idea Muppet. My next run is tomorrow il start it then and give a brief history.

• Advertisement

Decide to head out this evening for a few miles, I've had a niggle in my lower back since saturday evening ,it's an old injury I was driving most of the day so I think that aggrivated it. With that in mind I took a 4 mile loop around home with the option to bail at any time if I felt anything odd.

I was grand and actually I had a lovely run , wore too much gear but it was cold starting out and too warm once i got into it, It turned into an Unintentional progression run, paces 11:36, 10:32, 10:05, 9:35.

4 miles @ 10:33

Milder night tonight , one layer less and still too warm, 3.34 miles @10:18, pace. Running two nights in a row is good , i hadn't planned to run tonight but wanted to, wanting to run is much more enjoyable than having to run.

I'm a little concerned about my lack of pace , effort for the last 1.3 miles tonight was high enough for 9.30 pace which is a long way off my 5k pb time. I'm hoping I can give more in a race , roll on jingle bells.

I might try get get a longish run in this weekend 5 miles has been my longest since the marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You'd be amazed the speed in the legs after a marathon training block. I ran a 5k PB off the Rotterdam Marathon this year. Bet you'll surprise yourself come Jingle Bells.

tang1 wrote: »
    You'd be amazed the speed in the legs after a marathon training block. I ran a 5k PB off the Rotterdam Marathon this year. Bet you'll surprise yourself come Jingle Bells.

Cheers Tang , I hope it kicks in before then because I'm unimpressed with the "speed" in them today, I pushed a bit today for the last mile or so with pretty unspectacular results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Maybe try 3-4 sets of strides in one of your runs to get legs turning
    over, you'll be surprised if you make part of your weekly routine how
    it wakes the body up. Best luck in Jingle bells.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Maybe try 3-4 sets of strides in one of your runs to get legs turning
    over, you'll be surprised if you make part of your weekly routine how
    it wakes the body up. Best luck in Jingle bells.

Thanks G I will do that. I'll give jingle bells all I can and see where that gets me . Once I have a good run i'll be happy.

Thanks G I will do that. I'll give jingle bells all I can and see where that gets me . Once I have a good run i'll be happy.

What's the time to beat TM ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What's the time to beat TM ?

24.07 :D St Annes new course. Must have been on something that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

24.07 :D St Annes new course. Must have been on something that morning.

make firm decision in your head and go for it, no bother to you.

• Advertisement

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    make firm decision in your head and go for it, no bother to you.

Ah yeah, will be doing that for sure and see what happens

Did my pilates class last night , we did some new moves and I've quite a sore hip ass this morning, taking a rest day today and hope to get out tomorrow if soreness has died down.

5.11 mies easy tonight. Decided against the lsr today as still some soreness in my "hip".

Really nice night for a run . Loved it.

4.14 miles @ 9.41 with 6 x 15 second strides.

My fastest run since i started marathon training last june .my last 2 miles in 8.49 and 8.53 . happy with that.

My hip is still a little sore all the time, its sorer when I press on it but no worse when running, thinking it should be ok by now if it was just an over stretching so it's something for me to keep an eye on.

Looking forward to jingle bells now. easy running for the rest of the week.

6.2 miles tonight @ 10.50 pace

I took this one nice and handy up through the rivervally park and a loop around swords, Used the headlamp from the marathon bag, it worked a treat, really bright.

Really enjoying my runs again , not that I didn't enjoy the marathon training, I did, but there's something really lovely about running just for the enjoyment of it.

My marathon tag arrived today ,I didn't know we got one of those so it was a nice surprise, My Jingle Bells race pack arrive too so i'm all set to go on Saturday.

Hip is still sore but not a big deal at the moment, my Pilates instructor is also a sports therapist so I'm going to mention it to her Thursday see what she thinks.

3.16 miles @ 10.09 pace

This was to be my daughters 28 minute c25k session but she was feeling good at 28 and wanted to try for the 5k .

She was delighted to hit 5k in under 32 minutes . We have plans to do some park runs and possibly the race series and dublin city marathon together next year all going well.

I think she'll be a lot quicker than me but gonna enjoy running with her until I can no longer keep up. :D

Pilates class tonight . Looking forward to that.

Congratulations to your daughter on reaching the 5K mark. Look what you've started :D. See you on Saturday hopefully.

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Congratulations to your daughter on reaching the 5K mark. Look what you've started :D. See you on Saturday hopefully.

Thanks BG .She's a chip off the old block when she decides to do something so I expect that she will keep at it.

She wants to get under 30 minutes before the end of the year . We're targeting a parkrun for that . Most likely st annes near the end of the month. I'm very proud of her .

I'll be there Saturday to give it my version of a blast all being well.

Ideal conditions for Jingle bells this morning , I really enjoyed the run but was miles off a pb. That doesn't really surprise me I had though I'd lost some pace since the summer, now its confirmed. On a plus I did have a kick at the end that even the MC noticed :cool: , thats a first for me.

Really looking forward to the gradutes plan and getting that pace back if possible.

watch time splits
    1 @8:21
    2 @ 8:33
    3 @ 8:09
    .1 @ 7:13

5k @ 8.19 pace in 25:53

Edit : 26.25 official time, no way my watch was that far out so I'm assuming that's gun time, I started my watch on the line and was over the line a few seconds when I stopped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

They've added the chip times now to the results if you want to check that against your own watch's time.

spaceylou wrote: »
    They've added the chip times now to the results if you want to check that against your own watch's time.

Still the same for me if Im looking the the proper place the downloadable spreadsheet, TBh Im not all that bothered, I know my watch time is the correct time , give or take a few seconds, Distance matches up too 3.11 miles .

I wasn't near a PB , had I been I would be annoyed.

EDIT see my chip time there now at 25:53 exactly my watch time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Very nice run, TM. I was exactly the same as you with losing some pace after my first marathon, but it will come back and you'll be stronger than ever with a few months of speed training under your belt. Great work today and very nice splits with a good strong finish!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement