Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Couch 25k To Where Ever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done today TM, last mile was your fastest which is a great sign. Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day for another stab at it. Bit of specific speed work and you'll take chunks off that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Good work, glad you enjoyed the run. I'd say most of us graduates have lost pace since the summer (I know I got a PB but that's because mine was from a year ago).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done today TM, last mile was your fastest which is a great sign. Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day for another stab at it. Bit of specific speed work and you'll take chunks off that time.

Cheers Tang, Will have a look at that, Will have to go easy on the turkey etc if i do, more so the etc.

I need some speed work for sure but I knew that before today. I probably need to learn how to suffer too, that's something that won't come naturally to me.

Did you run today? I would have liked to say hello in person.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Cheers Tang, Will have a look at that, Will have to go easy on the turkey etc if i do, more so the etc.

I need some speed work for sure but I knew that before today. I probably need to learn how to suffer too, that's something that won't come naturally to me.

Did you run today? I would have liked to say hello in person.

I did, 16 secs slower than my PB but delighted with my run. No more than yourself I have little or no speed work in the legs, last mile was my quickest to. Would have liked to say hello to but had to make a quick exit as my missus was running to and we had to be home to let childminders go.

I did, 16 secs slower than my PB but delighted with my run. No more than yourself I have little or no speed work in the legs, last mile was my quickest to. Would have liked to say hello to but had to make a quick exit as my missus was running to and we had to be home to let childminders go.

Next Time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Nicely done, glad you enjoyed it. I've definitely lost whatever speed I had before the marathon as well. It'll come back before too long!

tailgunner wrote: »
    Nicely done, glad you enjoyed it. I've definitely lost whatever speed I had before the marathon as well. It'll come back before too long!
    Thanks TG, My pb was nearing the end of the 2015 Graduates plan which I was on from January to June this year, I was in good shape then.

I was fairly confident I was slower now than then so that's no surprise . I'm equally determined that barring jnjury I will get back to where I was on this years plan as Myles Splits is the creator of both, most likely the same plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks TG, My pb was nearing the end of the 2015 Graduates plan which I was on from January to June this year, I was in good shape then.

I was fairly confident I was slower now than then so that's no surprise . I'm equally determined that barring jnjury I will get back to where I was on this years plan as Myles Splits is the creator of both, most likely the same plan.

You will :) lovely to see you again today, tang is right about that race on Jan 1st, its very fast course but then 5K's are 10 a penny and you've loads of time to work on tumbling all your shorter PB's.

Couch 2 5k session today with my daugher. She wanted to try to run the 5 k under 30 mins . She only told me this when when we finished .

She hit 5 k in 28.45 so what I expected to be an easy run turned into a decent workout.

She's flying, well done to her!

• Advertisement

She's flying, well done to her!

She is max . Instead of it just being me helping her I think she'll be a benefit to me too. I wouldn't have been running 9 minute miles today but for her and I really need to start pushing myself at least one run per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats to your daughter T. Did I meet her yesterday on the way to the race start? You will have some nice competition for JB 2017 :D

denis b wrote: »
    Congrats to your daughter T. Did I meet her yesterday on the way to the race start? You will have some nice competition for JB 2017 :D

Hi Denis it was nice meeting you yesterday . I see you had a good run congratulations .

I have 2 daughters Rachel was with me yesterday she is not the runner yet .

My other daughter Alison started running the week after the marathon she loved the atmosphere and it's Inspired her to try get into condition for next years DCM.

The plan is we'll run it together . Early days yet but she's going well and I'd love to do it again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Darazio92

Couch 2 5k session today with my daugher. She wanted to try to run the 5 k under 30 mins . She only told me this when when we finished .

She hit 5 k in 28.45 so what I expected to be an easy run turned into a decent workout.

Thanks dad! Appreciate all the support :)

Darazio92 wrote: »
    Thanks dad! Appreciate all the support :)

:eek:

Good to see you here A, theres plenty to learn from the logs here.

The hip that's been niggling me for the last 2 weeks is really bothering me today so no running for me. Going to take it day by day for now to try sort it out.

No running since Sunday last and things seem to have settled,

Just in from Pilates, we had a good session so if all is good tomorrow I plan to get out for a few easy miles . Park run on saturday, again easyish is on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Good to hear TM! I think I am finally motivated to get back out regularly, need to make space for xmas :-)

Great to see your daughter doing so well already! When is she starting the log :-)

tony1980 wrote: »
    Good to hear TM! I think I am finally motivated to get back out regularly, need to make space for xmas :-)

Great to see your daughter doing so well already! When is she starting the log :-)

Thanks tony . Good to see your motivation returning . I can't wait to get going on the plan . Starting the 30 day s&c this weekend too . I'll be divorced if I don't get back into it soon .

I'm really chuffed about my daughter at 4 weeks in she's doing well. She rang me this evening to say she'd just done a 40 minute run , so id say she has the bug . That'sa bit to much of a step up imo but shes young and seems to be comfortable with it. I'm doing a parkrun with her Saturday all being well her first.
    I'm not sure she'd be into logging ' that may not be cool enough for her.
    I,m trying to get my eldest son at it now too.

• Advertisement

2 miles easy 10:53 just to get the legs moving in prep for park run tomorrow. So far so good .

My favouritr haunt out along the coast to Sutton beautiful mild evening with the usual gentle breeze for the area.

Best of luck with it in the morning TM, hope your daughter enjoys it.

Best of luck with it in the morning TM, hope your daughter enjoys it.

Thanks Tang . She can't wait she had her gear ready from 6 this evening . I'm looking forward to it too . St Anne's is the plan once she makes it across the city on time .

Lovely run with my daughter this morning St Annes parkrun in 30.03 . Nice to meet a few boadsies again too. This felt very comfortable with no major issues, Hoping to step it up a notch now and get on with the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice to see you and your daughter today, sorry had to run to catch young
    fella for warm up. And was running back to run in with him when I seen you
    near the end. Well done today.Good to hear the need for speed is coming back
    best luck with it.

Is that your finish time or hers? Or both? For her sake I hope you finished a few seconds behind her because that's agonising! :D

• Advertisement

Is that your finish time or hers? Or both? For her sake I hope you finished a few seconds behind her because that's agonising! :D

It's both our finish times max though she crossed the line first of course.

Struggling a little at the moment if I'm honest, My hip/ glute was niggling me yesterday and I can still feel it this morning. Mojo is low, which is unusual for me, I just need to get back into a routine but that's not easy at the moment.

Struggling a little at the moment if I'm honest, My hip/ glute was niggling me yesterday and I can still feel it this morning. Mojo is low, which is unusual for me, I just need to get back into a routine but that's not easy at the moment.

Hang in there T, it's not unusual after marathon training, the body is tired and your goal is complete, take whatever time you need to recover well and use the new year as your new start. Are you doing the Raheny 5 mile?

Thanks AM. Absolutly no danger of me not hanging in there . I Love it too much but I think you're right . I'M Going to hold off on the plans for now and just get back to running regularly which is difficult enough this time of year with all the xmas stuff going on.

Got out for 3.4 miles easy and I enjoyed it.

I didn't sign up for any races yet AM . Thinking of doing the 5k on tge park on new years . Will have company if I do so it won't be an assault on a pb.

I'm definitely goin to do more of the shorter races in the first half of next year.

No run today . Just in from work so i'll leave it until tomorrow .

• Advertisement

Pilates tonight. Gave the legs a good workout .

No running today but that was due to lack of free time rather than motivation . Plan to get out tomorrow.

Nice 5 miles @10.30 pace . Lovely evening ' I set out to do 3.5 and added another 1.5 on st the end .

Slumming it this evening . 3 miles easy along sandymount in good company .

Not quite as nice as coast run the other side of the bay . Enjoyable run.

Yay, I actually manage to get out for 5 miles this lunchtime. It was cold starting out but a lovely day once I warmed up.

I did my last xmas gig last night so I should be able to get back to normal from here on in or at least I'll have to find another excuse if not.:pac:

The idea now is to run consistently for the next week hitting at least 20 miles :D and then start the graduates plan and my strenght and conditioning in the new year.

5 miles @ 10:23 pace

I went out to cabinteely this morning for a spot of park run tourism . Met up with my daughter Alison for the run, it's her local venue.

Nice course . The hills make it interesting , we finished in 30.30 which was a decent for Alison time considering the course.

Nice friendly crowd this morning. Race Director Annie Get your Run gave us the low down on the coarsé . Was glad of that by lap 3 .I imagine it would be easy to go out too fast and suffer on that course.

Lovely run really enjoyed it .

It's a testing enough route alright TM, my one & only parkrun, must really sort that out in 2017. Happy Christmas to all The Muppets.

It's a testing enough route alright TM, my one & only parkrun, must really sort that out in 2017. Happy Christmas to all The Muppets.

Lol all the muppets' they'll love that.

It tested herself this morning she gave it all she had . It would be sub 30 on a flat run so she's happy with that.

Happy Christmas to you and all your crew.

Delighted to see you both this morning, well done to Alison, it's definitely 70-90 seconds slower than a flat course but it's a super workout, regular Cabinteely runners do very well in other races :D:D

Happy Christmas!

Delighted to see you both this morning, well done to Alison, it's definitely 70-90 seconds slower than a flat course but it's a super workout, regular Cabinteely runners do very well in other races :D:D

Happy Christmas!

Nice course AM . The downhills allow for recovery before tge next climb . I really enjoyed it .

Merry Christmas to you too.

Nice course AM . The downhills allow for recovery before tge next climb . I really enjoyed it .

Merry Christmas to you too.

3 Mlies easy this morning with Alison . Nice mild morning . Set me up nicely for the Christmas dinner .

Merry Christmas to all of you.

• Advertisement

5 easy miles tonight . It's cold out there . Nice run i took it easy . Good to get a few miles in today as I missed yesterdays run .
    Apart from the cold thrres nothing much else to report . Suppose if i'd ran faster I might not have felt the cold so much.

5 miles @ 11.11

The old legs felt a little stiff this morning after yesterdays run which I take as a sign I'm not running enough, not that I needed a sign to tell me that.

I went out tonight for 3.5 miles well it was 3.5 miles last time I ran this route . It was 3.13 tonight . Go figure.

A mile in I met a man walking who for some reason reminded me of my former self. For the rest of the run all I could think of was the difference running has made to my life, the fitness to enjoy playing with my grandkids, the improvements in my health and the friends I've made here ,some of whom me I have yet to meet. I lose sight of that stuff quite often and really when I do think of it I realise it is my motivation to run. I ran the last 2 miles with a big fat grin on my face and at decent pace for me 10:11 and 9:20

3.13 miles @10:18

The plan for today was to run 2 parkruns st annes and fr collins. Unfortunately some unexpected events overnight meant this didn't happen.

I got out tonight for 3.4 miles easy. First 1.5 miles was a solid uphill . Enjoyable run.

Heading to the west with the missus for a few days midweek to recover from xmas so I don't know what I'll get done running wise. Hotel has a gym so perhaps I'll hit the dreadmill .

Ì

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

The plan for today was to run 2 parkruns st annes and fr collins. Unfortunately some unexpected events overnight meant this didn't happen.

I got out tonight for 3.4 miles easy. First 1.5 miles was a solid uphill . Enjoyable run.

Heading to the west with the missus for a few days midweek to recover from xmas so I don't know what I'll get done running wise. Hotel has a gym so perhaps I'll hit the dreadmill .

Ì

Enjoy the break in the west... but don't waste the opportunity on a treadmill... nothing beats running in the wild west!!!

annapr wrote: »
    Enjoy the break in the west... but don't waste the opportunity on a treadmill... nothing beats running in the wild west!!!

Thanks A I will enjoy for sure.

I had forgotten how much I dislike running on a treadmill but I suppose it's better than not running at all. I get so hot even at easy pace it's definitely not for me.

5k from 9 k to 11 k per hour .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

I had forgotten how much I dislike running on a treadmill but I suppose it's better than not running at all. I get so hot even at easy pace it's definitely not for me.

5k from 9 k to 11 k per hour .

I am the same as well, we have the treadmill up in the top floor in the house so the velux windows do be open and it's the only time I would ever run without a top on.

Congratulations on your win! You're in good company, all the very best people win new poster of the year :D:D

Congratulations on your win! You're in good company, all the very best people win new poster of the year :D:D

Cheers , Just writing my acceptance speech , be back in day or 2.

Perhaps not :D , Definitely in good company with OSO, TBL and yourself winners since I started reading this forum.

Thanks to everyone who voted, your are all the nicest bunch of strangers I've ever encountered.

• Advertisement

Oh its not good when you have to go searching for your log, Page 4 I found it. :eek:

So its the start of the graduate plan today which considering it's a rest day I found easy enough to fulfill.

I also started James Dunnes 30 day challenge today, hopefully I'll get further with it than I did last time (2 weeks). I plan to do this before work in the mornings and do my runs in the evenings

40 minues very easy tomorrow, which is 12 to 13 minute miles for me, I've never ran at that pace but thats what the plan says so it will be so.

I entered into the ballot for the great north run today, Hoping im sucessful as i watched before I ran so it would be special to participate.

My eldest son has asked me to do the Great Ireland 10k with him in april , he 's not a runner yet so that could be interesting, I sent him a link to tommy tiernan he didn't really appreciate that .:D

Advertisement