Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Couch 25k To Where Ever

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hadn't heard the term aerobic power before using this forum. It's a funny one and made me think of jargon associated with formula 1, though we don't really need a pit change and can usually just keep going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hadn't heard the term aerobic power before using this forum. It's a funny one and made me think of jargon associated with formula 1, though we don't really need a pit change and can usually just keep going...

Formula Ford perhaps in my case B . It's all new to me too , learning as I go along and enjoying it thanks to the good folk here. I got it the term wrong in yesterday's post , anerobic power it was. How did you find your session at it?

My last post re aerobic power/anerobic power set off an alarm in my head and it's possible I ran yesterday's session at the incorrect pace .

The plan says 6x2 ap. I think that should be aerobic power which is 8.05 to 8.15 for me . I tried run it at Anerobic Power 6.47 to 7.00. Whatever it's done now

60 Mins easy this afternoon, feeling a little worse for wear today so easy it was , Pilates class tonight .

5.3 miles 60 mins at 11.19 pace avg hr 128

Todays session was 4 x 6 minute Threshold with 2 minute recovery. i decide when I woke to go and run a parkrun at threshold instead . Was at st anns for 9 and ran a warmup mile down the avenue , I thought there were very few runners about for parkrun and found out parkrun was cancelled so decided to revert to the intended session on the avenue instead of running the parkrun course with the others who had turned out.

8.50 pace is the faster end of my threshold range so that was the target pace .

6 min splits
    1 @ 8.49 pace for .68 mile
    2 @ 8.29 pace for .71 mile
    3 @ 8.33 pace for .70 mile
    4 @ 8.04 pace for .75 mile

The last one I didn't look at watch just ran it comfortably hard. Beautiful morning and I was feeling good.

I met Wubble Wubble of this parish in the park just as I finished and we had a bit of a natter, always nice meeting other Boardsie runners. I did a short cool down and headed home.

warm up .83 miles @12 :12 pace
    session 3.07 miles @ 9.46 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Flying on those intervals, T ! Perhaps it's time to revise your training paces, training obviously working well for you. Seems like everyone was in St.Anne's this morning :D, sorry to have missed you.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Flying on those intervals, T ! Perhaps it's time to revise your training paces, training obviously working well for you. Seems like everyone was in St.Anne's this morning :D, sorry to have missed you.

Thanks for the advice , I'm feeling really good of late all right G , I may well have given park run a blast this morning but it wasn't to be. I will give it another go in the next few weeks and recalculate my paces form it, I'm actually running quicker that the prescibed paces on most of my runs now anyway.

Yeah It was a glorious morning in there today, I only met J but i saw from his log Murph_D and yourself were there also. I would have like to hang around for the races but had other commitments for the day, next time .

On the road early ths morning for my 70 minute easy. It was cool enough starting out but nice.

6.8 miles in 70 minutes @ 10.18 pace

Avg hr 130 max 144

In other news 29 years married today to a wonderful woman who has always supported and encouraged me with my running . It's so time consuming it would be difficult to do without that support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Congratulations on your anniversary, hope you have plans for a good night out, enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs Muppet! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Nice one, Happy Anniversary :D

60 minutes very easy today . I was in Drumlish Co. Longford this evening for this . Not familiar with the area it was an out and back on the road. Very hilly area .

5.83 miles @ 10.21 pace in 60 minutes

I mile warm up , 8 x 1 minute hills with 3 minutes recovery , 1 mile cool down.
    Nice tough session . Felt good throughout.
    Hill splits
    1 @ 6.44
    2 @ 6.23
    3 @ 6.20
    4 @ 6.42
    5 @ 6.47
    6 @ 6.33
    7 @ 6.25
    8 @ 6.49

4.48 mile total

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good to have some hills going on.

Good to have some hills going on.

Yeah I find them tough B but in a good way . It's a good session to use for comparison too . Last night's were much better than the same session a few weeks ago at least all reps were consistant , sub 7 pace and I didn't feel ready to lie down after 3 .

A little stuck for time yesterday so had to skip the run. I got to my Pilates class, it was a tough class but enjoyable. Still feeling the effects of it this morning when heading out for yesterday's skipped 60 minutes easy run so I took it nice and easy.

Headed towards Malahide on the main road and back along the estuary . Lovely morning for running with a cool but not too strong breeze.

I stubbed my toe 5 miles in and nearly ended up in a heap but managed to stay on my feet, hurt my lower back though in the process , hopefully it will sort itself out before tomorrow.

5.68 miles @ 10.40 pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ouch, that's happened to me more than once. Hopefully no harm done!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ouch, that's happened to me more than once. Hopefully no harm done!

Thanks, Hope not too D but quite sore at the moment . It happened me a few times too this is the first time I had the strength to stay on my feet bambi style so that's a plus .

Feeling ok today after yesterdays trip. Hip was a little sore but nothing major.

1 hr 40 easy was on the plan. I have to get a base to recalculate my training paces but for today I decided to run this at 10.40 pace , that pace was easy enough for me for 2 thirds of a marathon .

That plan went out the window after the first mile and I just ran by feel not really paying much attention to my watch.

Felt comfortable throughout . Aerobicall fine , legs tired a little near the end but I wasn't dropping the pace so late in the run.

Lovely morning. Wore too much gear 2 layers and jacket and running trousers. Was quite warm when I got going, I really must learn that lesson .

The faster pace meant I finished a few minutes earlier than planned

9.37 miles @ 10.00 pace in 1:33:47

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Really seeing some Improvements T, nice work.

Thanks G . Feeling it myself , not before time . I think the marathon really took it out of me in a way I am only now realising .

I hope to do parkrun in the next few weeks to get a fix on where I am really .

15 minute tempo , 4 min recovery and 10 min threshold today.

Not much time today so short warm up to the local park for the session. Old Calculated paces tempo 9.15 , threshold 8.49 . I planned to take 15 secobds off each to allow for current level. I Felt a little tired this morning so was happy with how things went.

Tempo 15 minutes at 8.58 pace 1.67 mile
    Threshold 10 minutes at 8.09 1.23 mile.

Nice evening for tonights 60 minutes very easy. Nice cooling breeze in off the sea at Sutton , enjoyable run.

6.34 miles in 63 minutes @10.27 pace

Out at lunchtime for today's sesion 5 x 5 min cardiovascular pace with 4 minute recovery. Calculated my cv pace off my old 5k pb of 24.07 giving me 7.59 minutes miles . I think that might be nearer the mark now.

1 mile warm up to start , short cool down

5 min splits

1 @ 7.50
    2 @ 7.50
    3 @ 7.50
    4 @ 7.35
    5 @ 7.29

4.88 miles @10.47 pace

60 minutes easy this evening . 10.37 pace followed by my pilates class . Looking forward to my rest day tomorrow

• Advertisement

The plan today called for 3 x 8 minutes threshold (8.00) with 3 minute recovery but I decided ot do St. Annes parkrun instead.

Got there a little late , parked at the main gate and ran down the avenue for a warm up and headed straight to start line.

First lap I felt comfortable ran it at 7.55 pace 1.63 miles

for second lap I eased off at the start of it which wasnt intentional , I glanced at my watch and it said 8.30 pace, picked it up alittle from there and ran the secon lap average 7.57 pace 1.42 miles.

Crossing the line my watch time was 23:35. delighted with that.

I just got my email result and the time is 24:11 4 seconds off my st annes pb , I also noticed I used my grandsons barcode instead of my own I
    must have taken the wrong one from my wallet in the rush before hand , My bad.

I'm slightly puzzled by that but I'm happy even with the 24.11 as it indicates improvement from my last few timed runs which were edging near the 26 minutes for 5k. Strava tells me I got a st annes pb this morning too.

will have to go back soon and try some of that hurt I see others mention here to get under that 24 minute using my own barcode

ran a cool down on the avenue to bring teh day to 5 miles .

Met Bungy Girl, Annapr , Kenny G and Murph D after for a chat alway nice to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Strava seems to be saying 24:10 for the PR on St Annes (new course) and it's reading 3 miles rather than 3.1 so that might explain the difference in the result V your watch? But well done!! Maybe see if they have a 23:59 pacer next time they're doing pacer week! You will definitely get a sub 23 before long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

good to see you this morning T, and you had a good run either way... even if it is your grandson who gets the credit :)

Strava seems to be saying 24:10 for the PR on St Annes (new course) and it's reading 3 miles rather than 3.1 so that might explain the difference in the result V your watch? But well done!! Maybe see if they have a 23:59 pacer next time they're doing pacer week! You will definitely get a sub 23 before long.

Perhaps .I'm just happy to know i'm moving the the right direction again . Sub 23 would be good.

Congratulation on your own run today .

annapr wrote: »
    good to see you this morning T, and you had a good run either way... even if it is your grandson who gets the credit :)

Thats exactly it Anna . Can't believe I took the wrong barcode. I'll be back soon with my own one.

Woke early this morning and decided to get today's 1hr 40 minutes easy done.

I ran an out and back from Swords to Santry. Had done that route since marathon training , had forgot how up hill it is on the way out but what goes up must com down so it was an easier return journey.

Legs were quite tired this morning after yesterday's Parkrun and a bout of DIY. More of that today too.

9.4 miles @ 10.40 pace. In 1 hr 40

Was thinking about my timing faux paux yesterday and I think my watch must have auto stopped under tree cover in the park.

That's another solid week under the belt. 31 miles covered. , ran 5 days including a session , a Parkrun and Pilates class. Really loving it at the moment

• Advertisement

Back at it this evening after an enforced break, not enough hours in the day so the running had to go on the back burner for a week. No harm having the odd week out I guess

Felt good and it ended up being a progression run

5 miles from 11.00 to 8.52 pace.

5 miles @. 9.49 average

5 miles tonight ' just felt like running , will get back to the plan next week

5.04 miles @8.56 pace

Lovely night

9.46 miles this afternoon at 10.24 pace. Usual route , clontarf to kilbarrick about 3miles into a strong wind , couldn't hear my headphones with the noise of the wind , just put the head down and plodded away. Enjoyed the run, legs a little sore now will have to break out the roller later.

Back to the plan tonight with 60 minutes very easy.

From the off I felt a twinge on the outside of my left hip, new to me so I took it all very easy. Hoping it's nothing but will note it here. Will try roll it out later.

Lovely evening but cool enough in the shade.

5.41 miles @ 11.14 pace

Session day today , 5 x 3 min Aerobic Power (7:45) with 3 minute recovery.

I ran these along the coast and it was really nice, Pace was comfortable enough for me

splits were all a couple of seconds under my target. Short half mile warm up and the same cool down as time was tight.

Nothing from hip today.

60 minutes very easy on the plan for today, I ran it a little quick for very easy as I only had the hour to get it done if I was to go to my Pilates class this evening . It felt comfortable.

5.09 miles @10.01 pace

Hips were niggling me again today, We did some serious stretches in Pilates tonight so hopefully they will help loosen things out. More rolling later too, rest day tomorrow so hopefully all will be good by Saturday.

Today should have been 2 x 12 minute threshold with 4 min recovery but as I had been invited to join our esteeme 2016 DCM mentors Nop Anniegetyourun (firedance) and a crew from St Annes in cabinteely parkrun I decided to do that instead.

I did run here once before with my daughter at her pace so I knew what to expect. It's a tough 3 lap couse with a serious hill each lap.

I arrived at 9 and did a short lap to warm up , I met Nop98 and his son and had chat with them,( only shook his hand once this time D;) Nop98 introduced me to boardsie Mrs Mac and a few other of the St. Annes crew . Nice to meet you all.

Off we went on the first short lap , going comfortable here, glances at watch which was set to average pace 7.30 , when i got to the top of the hill the first time i was breathing hard and the pace had dropped. Mr's mac gave me shout as i crossed what would be the finish line, thanks.

Lap 2 I eased back on the down hill to recover and was feeling good again , back to the hill and I think why did I come here? but up I go again , back onto the flat finish strecth , only one more lap I tell myslf . I'm breathing hard but not uncomfortable.

lap 3 is a repeat of lap 2 recoveing but with the intention of pushing up the hill the last time. I did pass 2 or 3 people on the final up hill, there was a guy just ahead of me and I tried to get past him but hadn't got it in the legs , I crossed the line feeling I had given it a good effort which leaves me pleased with the day.

After the run I chatted with Nop98, AGYR, and some of the St. Annes crew and headed off.

Mile splits
    1@8.24
    2:8.45
    3@ 9.06
    .1@ 12.26 forgot to stop watch on line.

official time 27:17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Lovely to see you today T, dem hills don't get any flatter though :D Our regulars are always getting PB's in their goal races though so it's well worth the pain for the gain ;)

Last time I ran it I was with my daughter so was running it easy, the hills were not as lung busting. To be honest I was grand 2nd and 3rd lap , probably went out a bit too quick at the start.

Enjoyed it all the same , it is a lovely setting , nice catching up with you too.

Shopping with herself in town or a run in the Phoenix park were the options today. Unsurprisingly the run won out .70 minutes easy was on the plan but I had more time to kill and it was a lovely day I ran for longer taking in the sights in the park, tame deer , two people practising martial arts in the trees , a game of cricket and tons of other runners too. It would do you good.

Really enjoyed the change of scenery .

9.17 miles in 1.33. @. 10.10 pace

That's another decent week on the plan completed .

• Advertisement

Out late this evening for my 60 minutes very easy. Ran my usual route in reverse it's a longer more gradual climb that way .

Took it nice and handy

5.44 miles @ 10.57 pace

8 x 2 cv 7.59 pace with 2 min recover on the cards today.

A little stuck time wise so I did them ail with 1 min recovery . I was good to go after the minute anyway. Not much of a warm up or cool either for same reason.

Paces ranged from 7.28 to 7.41 for the 8 splits

Our at lunchtime for my 60 minutes easy today.

6.2 miles @10.18 pace .

90 minutes easy today, legs were tired this morning , i think they still had not recovered from a tough Pilates class Thursday or perhaps I'm just tired but i contemplated not running at all today but common sense/guilt prevailed and I went out .

I did take it easy though keeping it around 10.40 pace keeping the heart rate nice and low. The legs felt fine once i got moving and warmed up, I though it was going to rain and wore a light rain jacket which was a mistake i warmed up a little too much. upped the pace a little for the last two miles as I was feeling really good by then.

9.36 miles @10.35 pace

30 minute tempo(8:50) today.

My grandson was playing football at St Pauls besides St. Annes Park so I left him over and did my run in the park while he was getting ready to play .

Up and down the avenue twice @8.39 pace did the trick and then back to watch the football.

Lovely morning .

60 minutes very easy the plan for tonight.

Out late for me and it was still warm . Nice run around swords . Probably not as easy as it should be but it felt very comfortable.

Nice night with a bit of a breeze in places.

6.3 miles @ 10.30 pace

7 X 3 minutes cv (7.59) with 2 minutes recovery.
    Jogged to the local park at lunchtime for this. Pace was mid 7.40s on all splits except the last one which was a litttle quicker. The latter ones felt easier than the earlier ones so I guess I didn't warm up enough.

It's quite warm, my former self would have been reluctant to venture out on warm days like today never mind run on them.

60 minutes very easy today. Another warm day but there was a nice cooling breeze on sections of my run

6.1 miles @10.11 pace felt good.

Had to skip pilates tonight as life got in the way.

90 minutes easy today. Herself hit the big 50 this week . Last night was party night so I was a wee bit delicate today but by 4 pm I had recovered sufficiently to attempt the run.

It went well after I got going the rain helped and I just ran by feel some miles faster than others but generally very easy effort, wasn't up to anything else anyway. I Was pretty damp by the end but it was nice

8.5 miles in 90 minutes @ 10.39 pace

• Advertisement

4 mins @ threshold 8.17 , 3 @ cv 7.49 , 2 @ ap 7.46 and 1 @ vo2 7.29 with equal recovery was the plan today. though about bringing a calculator with me 8-) but tried to memorise it instead.

Sunday mornings are Grandsons football morning so I went along to that and ran this while he was getting ready to play , Portmarnock AFC was the venue this morning so I ran these around their pitch. Still feeling a little delicate , i think the celebration this past week late nights etc has just caught up on me but there is also flu in the house so we'll see.

The session went well , I walked and jogged for the first 3 recoveries recovery , walked the last one. Lost the plot on the final split but the others were as they should be.

splits
    4 mins @ 8.15
    3 mins @ 7.57
    2 mins @ 7.42
    1 min @ 6.06

Advertisement