Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Couch 25k To Where Ever

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

60 minutes very easy tonight . Had intended to do this earlier but didn't get to. My eldest lads birthday today, a Pre run meal of pizza chips and beer definitely was not have a good idea but the family stuff is important too.

Ran this on a longer uphill route as I knew pace was going to be slow anyway. Started to feel almost normal in the last mile or so.

Diet has been really bad for the last few days , back on the wagon tomorrow for sure .

5.5 miles @ 11.08

Session day today , a short one . 6 x 2 minutes at v02 7.29 pace with equal recovery.

I woke this morning with a sore shoulder . , can't lift my left arm over my head . Have't a clue how it happened but it's sore ' so it was a try it and see run.

After a short warm up I decided to try get the fast stuff done and call it a day and I did that.

The 6 splits were all under target . Walked for recovery .

Wouldn't fancy a long run with the soreness so I may miss a few runs in the days ahead . We'll see how it is .

Rested yesterday to allow my shoulder improve . It felt ok today so I did yesterday's missed 60 minutes very easy .

Well that was the intention going out as and I ran the first 2 miles at easy pace ,10.34 and 10.48.

Felt good, noticed the pace increasing and just went with it , pace 9.57, 9.36, 9.12 and 8.51 turning it into a progression run . Nice day , quite warm and heavy .

5.75 miles @9.53 average pace

3 x 8 minutes @8.29 with 3 recovery the plan today. Headed to my favourite haunt along the coast at Sutton for these . Half mile warm up and into first 8 minute section. All went well and backed off on the pace near the end 8.24.

Turned to run the second split in tge opposite direction. Into a stiff breeze . Tried to keep pace under 8.29 but it wasn't to be 8.54 pace . Really feeling tired after this split.

For the last split I ran 4 minutes into the wind and turned to run with the wind for the last 4 minutes. 8.44 pachalf m ill e cool down

This was the first session ever where I have not maintained prescribe pace and 8 mins at 8.30 should be easy enough for me.

Wind was a factor and I'm guessing that the progression run yesterday was also a factor but overall I think I should have maintained pace so I'm not happy at all with the run.

Off down the country for a few days now have the gear packed and will get the long run in if I can .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Wind can definitely be a factor, if the effort was right I wouldn't worry to much, its more about the right intensity than the pace. How's the shoulder if you are not running freely it can increase effort as well.

• Advertisement

cheers. Just marking it off as a bad day at the office. shoulder is still sore but I have more movement in it today ' I don't think it caused me any bother today .

Took a few days out as I was feeling off. No major sympthoms but not right. Shoulder is still sore too.

Didn't Feel like running today either but I had a few hours to kill In Dublin this evening and decided to go.

It didn't go well so decided to call it a day at 3 miles.

Not like me not wanting to run but i have been here before

Perhas it's just a bug but i've changed my diet a lot in the last few months and lost
    A fair bit of weight perhaps I need to look at that again can't remember the last time I ate red meat

3.14 miles

The Muppet wrote: »
    Took a few days out as I was feeling off. No major sympthoms but not right. Shoulder is still sore too.

Didn't Feel like running today either but I had a few hours to kill In Dublin this evening and decided to go.

It didn't go well so decided to call it a day at 3 miles.

Not like me not wanting to run but i have been here before

Perhas it's just a bug but i've changed my diet a lot in the last few months and lost
    A fair bit of weight perhaps I need to look at that again can't remember the last time I ate red meat

3.14 miles

Could very well be Iorn Levels, are you taking suplamets for Iorn if no Red meat in diet. Hope you feeling better soon, any targets on horizon.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Could very well be Iorn Levels, are you taking suplamets for Iorn if no Red meat in diet. Hope you feeling better soon, any targets on horizon.

No supplements G , I was feeling grand up to a week ago will sort the lack of red meat out anyway and will take iron supplement for a few weeks, have to be careful with that as my brother has that thing where he has too much iron.

The primary target is the Great North run in early september , I was going to do some of the race series too and lately i had been thinking of my second marathon if Newcastle went well. i'll see how things go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

No supplements G , I was feeling grand up to a week ago will sort the lack of red meat out anyway and will take iron supplement for a few weeks, have to be careful with that as my brother has that thing where he has too much iron.

The primary target is the Great North run in early september , I was going to do some of the race series too and lately i had been thinking of my second marathon if Newcastle went well. i'll see how things go.

If your brother has haemochromatosis them you shouldn't take iron supplements unless you've had blood tests. Too high iron levels has similar symptoms to low iron levels. It might be worth getting some blood tests done especially if you've changed your diet. You could be low on b vitamins. Hope you feel better soon.

• Advertisement

The race series will give you plenty to fill your Summer with, before Great North run, but as Chicky says maybe a blood test in order, especially before you get into intensive end if your training.

Thanks for the advice , I' ll be sensible , I'm quite in tune with that side of things .

Have neglected the mileage update for the last few months , happy enough when I looked at the mileage for the last two months, things were going well for me .

Got to the end of week 17 on the graduate plan too last week , all going well up to the last run when I couldn't maintain prescribed pace. Running into the wind was a factor in that but I'm sure something else was amiss too as indicated in my earlier posts. Only ran 3 miles in the last week, going to try get back on the plan this week and take it from there, easy runs will be easy to give me a proper idea of where i am for the hard sessions.

That's the plan anyway , hoping for a drama free week.

Mileage update
    Month|2017|2016|2015|2014|2013
    jan|73.95|94.78|46.2|8.31|0
    feb|89.94|61.68|13.9|30.35|0
    March|70.83|111|4.64|47.37|7
    April|98.06|110.7|21.08|42.23|25.01
    May|107.46|121.32|65.69|36.37|33.78
    June||154.31|97.03|52.69|33
    July||148.97|108.73|25.33|49.74
    August||124.57|110.42|57.9|29.42
    September||138.17|94.12|58.37|13.87
    October||151.18|125.17|95.32|3.01
    November||49.11|100.78|88.95|0
    December||45.12|63.16|23.83|0
    Totals|440.24|1310.91|851.69|567.02|194.83

back out this afternoon, it was a warm one. 60 minutes very easy on the plan, My usual route, felt it more than usual for the first 2 miles (up hill), it felt easier from there on but 2 of those miles are downhill. Dug out the hart rate monitor for this and that was all good, 132 to 136 max which indictes it was easy running.

I'M still not feeling 100%, very flat, tomorrow is a session, 4 x 4 mins @ 8 pace , will see how that goes.

5 miles@10.28 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

As a matter of interest, what was your diet, and what did you change it to? Not that any of us are experts but might be no harm to document it anyway.

As a matter of interest, what was your diet, and what did you change it to? Not that any of us are experts but might be no harm to document it anyway.

Do I have to answer that I'm worried that I may incriminate myself. :D

I'll be honest though but before i do I don't need to be told that some of what I did to lose weight is not ideal.

One thing that bothered me in race pictures was that I always looked to be carrying weight around my stomach and a few months ago I decided I was going to get rid of that and I did.

Diet was Porridge in the morning with low fat milk, Lunch was a bagel with some cheese or ham and dinner savory rice and chicken, some days if I was busy I skipped lunch other days I'd have a second bagel in place of dinner, no snacking between meals. I went from just over 13 stone down to just under 11.5 stone in three months. that' s probably a little light as I'm 6.1 and I'd be happy anywhere around 12.

Do I have to answer that I'm worried that I may incriminate myself. :D

I'll be honest though but before i do I don't need to be told that some of what I did to lose weight is not ideal.

One thing that bothered me in race pictures was that I always looked to be carrying weight around my stomach and a few months ago I decided I was going to get rid of that and I did.

Diet was Porridge in the morning with low fat milk, Lunch was a bagel with some cheese or ham and dinner savory rice and chicken, some days if I was busy I skipped lunch other days I'd have a second bagel in place of dinner, no snacking between meals. I went from just over 13 stone down to just under 11.5 stone in three months. that' s probably a little light as I'm 6.1 and I'd be happy anywhere around 12.

:D incriminate indeed!

So was it just that you stopped snacking or is the above totally different from what you had been eating? A couple of tips (even though you didn't ask for any :p) low fat anything is useless, it's full of high carbs, fat is goooood so use full fat milk and butter etc. I don't see any veg with your dinner.... :eek: tell me there's veg in there! Turkey is a good substitute for red meat in that its higher in iron (and lower in fat) than chicken - shellfish too if you like that. Would you substitute the bagel for a big tuna salad?

None of us know whether your change of diet is what's affecting you feeling unwell now but it's not a bad place to start I guess? If it's energy levels though there's every chance that's what it is.

:D incriminate indeed!

So was it just that you stopped snacking or is the above totally different from what you had been eating? A couple of tips (even though you didn't ask for any :p) low fat anything is useless, it's full of high carbs, fat is goooood so use full fat milk and butter etc. I don't see any veg with your dinner.... :eek: tell me there's veg in there! Turkey is a good substitute for red meat in that its higher in protein (and lower in fat) than chicken - shellfish too if you like that. Would you substitute the bagel for a big tuna salad?

None of us know whether your change of diet is what's affecting you feeling unwell now but it's not a bad place to start I guess? If it's energy levels though there's every chance that's what it is.

I stopped eating potatoes, bread, red meat, portion size would have been reduced too.

I use full butter but with bread gone i don't eat very much of it. There's veg in savory rice , just not very much of it;) and I love veg. I eat fish a couple of times a week instead of the chicken, not mad on either turkey or shellfish.

Yeah I am changing things again this week, Had a steak yesterday , just had a pasta and chicken salad for lunch now .

It is just energy levels , I'm not sure myself if its diet or something else so i will sort the diet first and see if things improve. Blood sugars have been very good so I dont think its that. It could also be a viris which will go its course. I will mind it.

I stopped eating potatoes, bread, red meat, portion size would have been reduced too.

I use full butter but with bread gone i don't eat very much of it. There's veg in savory rice , just not very much of it;) and I love veg. I eat fish a couple of times a week instead of the chicken, not mad on either turkey or shellfish.

Yeah I am changing things again this week, Had a steak yesterday , just had a pasta and chicken salad for lunch now .

It is just energy levels , I'm not sure myself if its diet or something else so i will sort the diet first and see if things improve. Blood sugars have been very good so I dont think its that. It could also be a viris which will go its course. I will mind it.

There's nothing too drastic in that really as long as you're replacing the potatoes and bread with healthier carbs like carrots and parsnips or sweet potatoes (yum!) - you still need carbs when you're running. Hopefully whatever it is rights itself soon. Congrats on the weight loss BTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

First off before I make any comment I just want to say congrats on the weight loss.

In terms of the energy levels though it could be that you are in too much of a calorie deficit. With mileage increasing and weight dropping it could just be a case of needing to fine tune.

FWIW one of the biggest changes I made this year to my training was actually upping calories significantly, found energy levels higher and I was not picking up as many little bugs. Previously I was probably just eating minimum amount that I could get away with. I am a little bit heavier than previous (about 4 lbs) but I felt this has really helped with training

Also seen something similar posted by Olympic Silver medalist

https://twitter.com/nickwillis/status/871872399532339205

• Advertisement

First off before I make any comment I just want to say congrats on the weight loss.

In terms of the energy levels though it could be that you are in too much of a calorie deficit. With mileage increasing and weight dropping it could just be a case of needing to fine tune.

FWIW one of the biggest changes I made this year to my training was actually upping calories significantly, found energy levels higher and I was not picking up as many little bugs. Previously I was probably just eating minimum amount that I could get away with. I am a little bit heavier than previous (about 4 lbs) but I felt this has really helped with training

Also seen something similar posted by Olympic Silver medalist

https://twitter.com/nickwillis/status/871872399532339205

Thank's, I appeciate the advice.

There's nothing too drastic in that really as long as you're replacing the potatoes and bread with healthier carbs like carrots and parsnips or sweet potatoes (yum!) - you still need carbs when you're running. Hopefully whatever it is rights itself soon. Congrats on the weight loss BTW!

Yeah will definitely start eating more veg.

Thanks for the congrats, Weight loss has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me since before I started running, I have gone beyond my own expectations in that regard , I am happy with where I am now

I might as well post a before and after photo here , it just might help others coming from where I've been , the wrong side of 18 stone.

419826.jpg

Out today for 6 x 4 minutes cv 8 pace with 2 min recover.

Didn't go well . 2 minutes into third repeat I stopped . Started again and finished that one but called it a day then as I was feeling tired .

The beauty of having a log is being able to look back at past runs . I did 7 X 3 minutes @ 7.40 pace last month so obviously I am just not right at the moment.

I've known that for the past week anyway. Easy running for me for a while now until I get to the bottom of my lack of energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Thank's, I appeciate the advice.

I might as well post a before and after photo here , it just might help others coming from where I've been , the wrong side of 18 stone.

419826.jpg

Fair play Muppet, I've certainly seen the progress from reading through your logs but it's great to see the progress in pictures too, fair play.

Hopefully the energy issue at the moment is just temporary.. good luck.

Didn't run yesterday but did go back to pilates had missed 3 weeks with my shoulder. Different teacher last night' she focused more on upper body . I found it tough enough but felt good after class.

Got out this evening for 5 miles easy . Warm evening so it's difficult to gauge the effect of that on energy levels. Think things felt a little better than tuesday . Heartrate was good throughout a steady132 bpm rusing to 138 for last mile .

Just taking things day by day for now . I hope to do 80 mins easy tomorrow .all being well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

sumsar wrote: »
    Fair play Muppet, I've certainly seen the progress from reading through your logs but it's great to see the progress in pictures too, fair play.

Fcuk me sideways, you might be The Muppet, but it ain't the Pig :)

You look great in photo

TbL

sumsar wrote: »

Fcuk me sideways, you might be The Muppet, but it ain't the Pig :)

You look great in photo

TbL

Ha Ha thanks . Trying to keep it off is the challenge now .

You look great in photo

TbL

Plus 1 to that, fantastic achievement!

Thanks A.M.
    Running has changed my life so much .

Out this morning for 80 minutes easy. Picked a 7.5 mile loop intending to run at 11 pace , pace was a little quicker so finished a few minutes early.

Energy levels still not great . Very warm day , there was a nice breeze too but didn't benefit much on my route, would have been better running it in reverse .

7.5 miles in 77 mins @10 16 pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done on the weight loss, T. Giving up red meat is a positive for sure.

Hopefully you come out of your slump soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on the weight loss, T. Giving up red meat is a positive for sure.

Hopefully you come out of your slump soon...

Wow you look amazing, well done. Just to play devils advocate though if you've given up red meat and are a bit low in energy, maybe get your iron levels checked. I had mine checked a while back to discover my iron reserves (ferritin levels) were rock bottom :eek: I hadn't really been feeling too bad or very low in energy just not quite 100%. I got a good talking to from my GP, apparently it does not happen over-night, it is a result of a chronic lack of Iron in the diet for 6 months + :rolleyes: There is plenty of iron sources such as leafy greens, beans, eggs etc but Heme Iron (found in red meat) is the most easily absorbed by the body. Anyhow, sorry for butting in. Maybe you know all this already :o

ariana` wrote: »
    Wow you look amazing, well done. Just to play devils advocate though if you've given up red meat and are a bit low in energy, maybe get your iron levels checked. I had mine checked a while back to discover my iron reserves (ferritin levels) were rock bottom :eek: I hadn't really been feeling too bad or very low in energy just not quite 100%. I got a good talking to from my GP, apparently it does not happen over-night, it is a result of a chronic lack of Iron in the diet for 6 months + :rolleyes: There is plenty of iron sources such as leafy greens, beans, eggs etc but Heme Iron (found in red meat) is the most easily absorbed by the body. Anyhow, sorry for butting in. Maybe you know all this already :o

Always happy to listen to advice here. Sounds familiar, I do need to get my levels checked. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Been away from the logs for a while but fup me TM that's some difference in the two photos, fair play to you on the weight loss. Half the man you once were(weight wise).

OOnegative wrote: »
    Been away from the logs for a while but fup me TM that's some difference in the two photos, fair play to you on the weight loss. Half the man you once were(weight wise).
    Cheers .

Out for 5 miles easy tonight . After 7 when I got out so it was a little cooler that my last run . Should have been very easy ie 11.20 plus miles and going out that is what I intended to do. Really need to be more diciplined but it did feel easy enough.

5 miles @10.40

Skipped Sundays run went to the beach with grandkids and got a nice helping of sunburn instead . You'd think I'd have more sense , but no. Sleep has been awkward since , eased off a little today so hopefully I'll get a good kip tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I sometimes get shoulder pain early into a run. It's rare, but tends to be diagonal and a little sharp. It does go away pretty quickly.

I was talking to a vegetarian on holidays a few weeks ago and he said giving up meat was linked to his marathon efforts (years ago). Reckoned it had a positive impact on performance and that some pros today are probably veggie for this reason. Can't comment as I don't follow any pros, or their diets. Plenty more informed commentary here in the earlier replies than anything I can say. Sounds like you're keeping an eye on it all anyway.

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you in Sept in the UK.

• Advertisement

Thanks B I strained the muscles in my shoulder but it's a lot better now thanks.

Got out tonight for a short run just to get moving . Decided to do some cv pace ruñning just to see how I was feeling . Felt better tonight but it was only for a few minutes. Very warm tonight so kept it short .

Did my Pilates Class on Thursday but didnt get out for my 60 Minutes easy, I planned to go Friday my rest day but didn't , time was tight again but I could have gone out late if i was motivated enough .

Wasn't really feeling the love for it this morning either but I know it's important to get out those days too so I stuck on the headphones and set off on my 80 minutes easy 11 min pace. Stuck with that for the first two miles , pace picked up a little from there and so I did another long run quicker than I should have, the last 4 miles were avg 9.40 pace . The effort felt fine and feeling fresh enough after it .

Funny the days your are just not feeling it going out and end up having a good enjoyable run , this was my best run in a few weeks.

Don't read this bit if you're eating, After the run I noticed I had little bubbles on my skin when I pressed on them sweat came out,:eek: rather gross I know. f:eek: Freaked me out so I was straight onto Dr. google who tells me its related to the sunburn I got last week. I have never experienced it before but then again I have never got badly burn since I started running. I plan to go for bloods this week I will mention my bubble issue to the quack anyway just to get good old Doctor googles diagnosis confirmed, not that I doubt it.:D

9 miles in 92 mins @10.15 pace

Nice LR T, good to finish strong now and again.

You say all the right things G lol

TBH I needed a decent (for me) run to disspell some doubts , a little consistancy now would have me back on track I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Don't read this bit if you're eating, After the run I noticed I had little bubbles on my skin when I pressed on them sweat came out,:eek: rather gross I know. f:eek: Freaked me out so I was straight onto Dr. google who tells me its related to the sunburn I got last week. I have never experienced it before but then again I have never got badly burn since I started running. I plan to go for bloods this week I will mention my bubble issue to the quack anyway just to get good old Doctor googles diagnosis confirmed, not that I doubt it.:D

I had the exact same happen to me a few weeks ago, I burned myself badly/stupidly when cycling around San Francisco. The bubbles went away when the skin peeled off :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Did my Pilates Class on Thursday but didnt get out for my 60 Minutes easy, I planned to go Friday my rest day but didn't , time was tight again but I could have gone out late if i was motivated enough .

Wasn't really feeling the love for it this morning either but I know it's important to get out those days too so I stuck on the headphones and set off on my 80 minutes easy 11 min pace. Stuck with that for the first two miles , pace picked up a little from there and so I did another long run quicker than I should have, the last 4 miles were avg 9.40 pace . The effort felt fine and feeling fresh enough after it .

Funny the days your are just not feeling it going out and end up having a good enjoyable run , this was my best run in a few weeks.

9 miles in 92 mins @10.15 pace

Saw this today and thought of you!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4635588/Sunburnt-runner-suffers-gruesome-pus-filled-leg-blisters.html

Jesus that looks sore. Mine were just smallish bumps , noticed them after Tuesdays run first but didn't notice them leaking sweat until I rubbed them today.

Not worried about them at all.

5 .2 miles @10.10 pace early this morning , enjoyed this and feeling a lot better on and after my runs.

Singer wrote: »
    I had the exact same happen to me a few weeks ago, I burned myself badly/stupidly when cycling around San Francisco. The bubbles went away when the skin peeled off :)

AH I knew it couldn't just be me, Thanks.

60 minutes very easy this evening. Warm evening , kept it very easy .

5.5 miles in 60 mins @10.57 pace

60 minutes very easy this evening. Warm evening , kept it very easy .

5.5 miles in 60 mins @10.57 pace

Session day today . 6 x 2 minutes at aerobic power pace ( 7.45 ) for me with 3 minute recovery. Hadn't a great deal of time for warm up and cool down .

Ran these on the avenue at St. Annes. All went to plan , First one a few seconds off pace as I had to slow to turn .

Happy enough with them , took 2 mins recover on some as I felt that was enough. Splits 7.50, 7.43, 7.39, 7. 30 ,7 29, 7.32

Wet and cold today, i forgot how enjoyable running in the rain is. Really enjoyed this one.

6.26 miles @ 9.49 pace

Session Today 4 x 6 minutes @ threshold (8:20) off 2 minutes recovery.

The avenue at St' Annes park is ideal for these. No drama to report :D, all went to plan and felt comfortable . Really happy with this one as it's the best session I've ran since my slump of a few weeks back.

Splits, 8:19, 8:16, 7:57 , 8:02 .

20 minutes recovery today.

I'm onto my plan for the Great North Run in September since last week. It's the dcm graduates half marathon plan which has been on my fridge months now.

I should have started early June but I was nearing the end of the 5 k plan and wanted to finish that .

I started on week 4 and completed all runs successfully.

I need to read the notes on this plan as it has runs every day, Monday has 20 recovery or rest . I felt like a run so off I did 2 easy mins.

A ltitle quicker than my calculated recovery pace but heart rate was a little lower than my calculated recovery zone too so I'm guessing pace was about right .

I'm determined to train at the proper intensity this time . That's the plan anyway

1.92 miles @ 10.53 pace Avg hr 124

• Advertisement
Advertisement