Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Couch 25k To Where Ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thats very kind of you, Thanks , The log keeps me honest and helps with the motivation plus the advice and encouragement from more experienced runners here is invaluable.

I have always logged my uns. I had my own word press log when I stated running and then I used to log on facebook, I 'd say my friend are delighted I've moved to log here.

For anyone that has never used a foam roller don't be fooled by the word foam, Its painful. First session completed, Ice pack applied now so lets see how things are tomorrow before deciding whether I do my session or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

How's the knee treating you today?

How's the knee treating you today?

Its a little better today , I can still feel it coming down stairs, I'm definitely going to give the tempo session a miss today , but i'll see how its feeling this evening and may go for a light short jog on it to see how that feels and take things from there. Thanks for asking.

Hows you foot and glutes today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

The Muppet wrote: »
    For anyone that has never used a foam roller don't be fooled by the word foam, Its painful. First session completed, Ice pack applied now so lets see how things are tomorrow before deciding whether I do my session or not.

it is quite painful! but if done regularly* very beneficial

*if I took my own advice I'd be sorted :D

• Advertisement

Its a little better today , I can still feel it coming down stairs, I'm definitely going to give the tempo session a miss today , but i'll see how its feeling this evening and may go for a light short jog on it to see how that feels and take things from there. Thanks for asking.

Hows you foot and glutes today?

Glad to hear it! Sounds like you're being sensible anyway.

Much better on both counts, thanks. Glute seemed worse last night but it seems back to normal today. Only problem is I deferred last night's easy run to today to let it rest and now I'm struggling to see where I'm going to fit it in! :o
    Firedance wrote: »

Yeah I always have good intentions but then end up only doing it when I feel like I need it. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear it! Sounds like you're being sensible anyway.

No point being silly about it and being out for longer than I need, That's the huge advantage of this forum, my instinct is telling me to run as the pain eased the other night when I ran but the more experienced runners here say rest it or it will force me to stop for longer.
    Much better on both counts, thanks. Glute seemed worse last night but it seems back to normal today. Only problem is I deferred last night's easy run to today to let it rest and now I'm struggling to see where I'm going to fit it in! :o
    Yeah I always have good intentions but then end up only doing it when I feel like I need it. :rolleyes:

Good, it's a little better, take it easy. That can be a struggle, fitting in the runs but you'll find a way I'm sure, Enjoy it, I'll be reading about it with envy if I don't get out myself.

Firedance wrote: »

Couldnt believe how sore it was. I will do it regularly,

Like you were saying in own log regarding strength and fexibility its an aspect of training that I didn't give the attention it needs. Lesson learned I will have to devote some time to it a couple of times a week at least.

hows the foot today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Couldnt believe how sore it was. I will do it regularly,

Like you were saying in own log regarding strength and fexibility its an aspect of training that I didn't give the attention it needs. Lesson learned I will have to devote some time to it a couple of times a week at least.

hows the foot today?

we're not alone I think though, lots of runners neglect this area of training in favour of, well, running! foot is still sore but am optimistic I'll see an improvement by the end of next week as long as I put the work in of course! Good call to skip todays tempo run, don't go out later either if you feel another days rest would help even more.

Just had my second date with my foam roller, It was painful but not as painful as yesterdays .

My legs feel good this evening, very little pain in the knee, I really had to fight with myself not to go out for a few easy miles.

If they are the same tomorrow im going to try a warm up mile and see where i go from there, if there is no reaction I might try the tempo session I missed today, I will play safe though if I feel any pain at any stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Just had my second date with my foam roller, It was painful but not as painful as yesterdays .

My legs feel good this evening, very little pain in the knee, I really had to fight with myself not to go out for a few easy miles.

If they are the same tomorrow im going to try a warm up mile and see where i go from there, if there is no reaction I might try the tempo session I missed today, I will play safe though if I feel any pain at any stage.

IMO very little is too much to even consider doing a tempo tomorrow.
    I'd go for a recovery effort run tomorrow (if no pain at all) and if everything's ticket-boo 100% during and after I'd count my lucky stars and then go for it Sunday or Monday. I know it might mess up your plan but think of the bigger picture and all that...
    Good work on the foam rolling:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    IMO very little is too much to even consider doing a tempo tomorrow.
    I'd go for a recovery effort run tomorrow (if no pain at all) and if everything's ticket-boo 100% during and after I'd count my lucky stars and then go for it Sunday or Monday. I know it might mess up your plan but think of the bigger picture and all that...
    Good work on the foam rolling:)

Ok , no tempo tomorrow , Recovery run if there is no pain in the knee it is.

Ok , no tempo tomorrow , Recovery run if there is no pain in the knee it is.

For the sake of a day or two, might be the best thing... Everything's going so well for you, you don't wanna scupper the progress etc. :)

For the sake of a day or two, might be the best thing... Everything's going so well for you, you don't wanna scupper the progress etc. :)

Yeah I know you're right, I just hate missing planned runs. Thanks

Yeah I know you're right, I just hate missing planned runs. Thanks

Oh I know how you feel!! It's the old runner's OCD in us all! Usually a good thing but has its downside too!

No pain in the knee when I woke this morning so I ventured out for an easy few miles as instructed:). I just upped the pace slightly on each mile and all felt quite good and no pain so far after.

I'm unsure of where to go from here , whether I go for a few more days of easy runs and rest just to be sure all is ok or go back on to my plan from tomorrow.

3.1 miles @9:52 pace

splits
    1@ 10.23
    2@ 9:54
    3@ 9:15

No pain in the knee when I woke this morning so I ventured out for an easy few miles as instructed:). I just upped the pace slightly on each mile and all felt quite good and no pain so far after.

I'm unsure of where to go from here , whether I go for a few more days of easy runs and rest just to be sure all is ok or go back on to my plan from tomorrow.

3.1 miles @9:52 pace

splits
    1@ 10.23
    2@ 9:54
    3@ 9:15

Ha ha you're quite welcome to ignore my advice/comments:D. That's all they are at the end of the day as I ain't no expert! Far from it but I am quite sensible when it comes to listening to my body.

Only you know your body, but it does sound like you'd be fine to give it a good old lash tomorrow! You approached today very sensibly btw. Exactly how I would have:)

Ha ha you're quite welcome to ignore my advice/comments:D. That's all they are at the end of the day as I ain't no expert! Far from it but I am quite sensible when it comes to listening to my body.

Only you know your body, but it does sound like you'd be fine to give it a good old lash tomorrow! You approached today very sensibly btw. Exactly how I would have:)

I wouldn't dare,

I do appreciate the help. I'm here to learn and improve, there would be no point looking for advice here if I'm not going to take it on board.

Delighted all went well today. Not sure what you should do tomorrow, so I'll say nothing this time. ;)

On the premise that lost workouts are gone and I didn't want to put too much strain on my knee too soon I decided not to do Fridays missed 5k tempo session today, My ocd allowed me do this as I did the parkrun last weekend which should adequately cover for the missed session.

So it is onto week 12 of the plan which allowed me to do the sensible thing and do another easy run this morning.

55 minutes easy it was . The run went well but I did feel some soreness in my knee nearing the end, I've had that before on runs so I'm not too concerned about it but I will take this week day by day be extra careful not to push things too far on any of the runs and bail if I feel any pain.

Todays run
    5.26 miles in 54:46 @10:24 pace avg hr 132

1 @ 11:00
    2@ 10:55
    3@ 10:04
    4@ 9:58
    5@ 9:58

No pain after the run, I have some foam rolling planned for later in the day.:eek:

Week 12
    Day|Run|Notes
    Sunday|55 minutes easy|
    Monday|4 x 90 seconds Hills with recovery|
    Tuesday|55 minutes easy|
    Wednesday|110 minutes easy|
    Thursday| Rest|
    Friday| 72 mins with 24 minutes temp| *8.40 per mile
    Saturday|55 minutes easy

• Advertisement

Nice progression run there. Hope the knee is still ok tonight and you enjoyed the foam rolling :)
    I do it when I'm watching something good on the telly as it takes my mind off it if it's hurting any sore spots.
    Good luck with the week ahead!

4 x 90 second hill sprints today. I was s a little fearful that I would break down during these today but all went quite well. I was whacked by the end of the last one but recovered quite quickly. walk/jog back for recovery except the last one which I walked.

Had a "nice" foam rolling after the session , i think im getting used to them now .

1 mile warm up and cool down either side of the tempo stuff.

Splits
    1 @ 6:43 min /mile
    2 @ 6:46
    3 @ 6:59
    4 @ 6.45

A little bit of soreness in my knee on the cool down run home .

Impressive paces there! How's the knee now?

Thanks . The knee is ok . I stopped of to see my mam on the cool down and when I started up again I had a little soreness . It's fine now though.

It's obviously not 100 % though and I'm thinking of rolling back on the 110 lsr this week. I suffered the injury during that last week .. What do you think?

Thanks . The knee is ok . I stopped of to see my mam on the cool down and when I started up again I had a little soreness . It's fine now though.

It's obviously not 100 % though and I'm thinking of rolling back on the 110 lsr this week. I suffered the injury during that last week .. What do you think?

A few more easy days maybe and see how you go? When were you gonna do the 110? Loops close to home maybe if you do decide to do it so you can knock it on the head if it's not looking good. If you could push it out to late in the week might be best.

Wednesday night is my usual lsr night . I will definitely do shortish loops near home . Tuesday is 55 mins easy . Thursday is rest . Friday is another tempo and I'm travelling down the country and back on saturday so Im not sure where I could fit it in.

I think a few more easy days would be a good call myself .

Wednesday night is my usual lsr night . I will definitely do shortish loops near home . Tuesday is 55 mins easy . Thursday is rest . Friday is another tempo and I'm travelling down the country and back on saturday so Im not sure where I could fit it in.

I think a few more easy days would be a good call myself .

yeah I think you're right. If you have to drop the tempo on Friday and do the longer run then it's not the end of the world in the great scheme of things. See how you go tomorrow. Take it one day at a time!!!

Do you do anything extra besides the foam rolling to compliment your running? I find the myrtl routine great. Link if you're interested:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0

Moving the long run to Friday sounds good . Hadn't though of that . You think it's ok to miss the tempo I missed last week's one too though I did a parkrun.

I don't do anything apart from some stretches after my runs and the foam rolling. Im on my phone at the moment I will look at the link later. I had seen you mention that in you log but wasn't sure what it was.

Moving the long run to Friday sounds good . Hadn't though of that . You think it's ok to miss the tempo I missed last week's one too though I did a parkrun.

I'd just say let it go and let things settle a bit for a few days with shortish and easyish runs and concentrate on nailing the long run at the weekend if all is 100% with the knee.
    Just my opinion!

• Advertisement

Hi Ossoslo, I had a look at myrtl. I'd certainly give them a try, When would I do them , before after or during a run?

Advertisement