Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Couch 25k To Where Ever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bravo TM, great time and great racing, very well done to you.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Sub 24 is my goal now.

Bob Heffernan 5k 17.5.16. A race where runners are nearly guaranteed to PB, might not suit being on a Tuesday evening but a seriously competitive race where your almost dragged to a PB by other racers. Give it some thought if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks i certainly will consider it . Competitive Racing is not something I've given any though to up to now.

Thanks i certainly will consider it . Competitive Racing is not something I've given any though to up to now.

Think about it now after today's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Brilliant stuff, well done!

106 minutes @ 131 bpm for my lsr this morning

9.51 miles @ 11:02 pace

Went out to clontarf for this, my favourite route along the coast . Slight miscalculation on the route as a 90 minute run was scheduled . Took it really handy after yesterday's exploits. Lovely morning if a little cool in the shade .

Week 10 of the plan completed though I missed two midweek runs . Week 11 starts tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Only catching up on this now. Great work TM, well deserved PB!

Nice and easy 58:31 @ 128 bpm this evening

5.26 miles @11:08 pace.

60 minutes steady was the plan this evening. I went to my local park for this which is flat and there's a path that is around .75 mile long , My plan was to run up and back 4 times which I figured would get me to my 60 minutes. I calculate that my steady now should be between 9:20 and 9:45.

I'm very happy with the session , The splits are nicely consistent and I felt quite comfortable throughout and my breathing was nice and steady.

Myrtl and a good foam rolling after the session.

6.55 miles in 60:20 @ 9:13 pace AVG Heart Rate 148

Mile splits

1 @ 9:22
    2 @ 9:21
    3 @ 9:10
    4 @ 9:10
    5 @ 9:10
    6 @ 9:08
    .55 @9:03

• Advertisement

50 minutes easy today . A little heady today and feeling quite tired so I took this very easy .

50:44 @ 130 BPM

4.33 miles @11:35 pace.

slower than usual today. I struggled to keep the hearth rate under 132 at times when running uphill and into the wind.

Hope the heady felling is not the onset of something nasty. Rest day tomorrow so hopefully I will be good to go Saturday.

Another session today consisting of 10 minute warm up followed by 7, 6 and 5 minutes at 10 k pace (8:05 minute miles) with 3 minute recovery and 3 , 2 and 1 minutes @ 5k pace (7:48 minute miles) with 2 minute recovery and 10 minute cool down.

I found this tough enough especially the 10k paced runs, I did my best to stick to the proper paces as I know the purpose of these are to get used to running at race pace and I plan to do a 10k race as soon as I find one that suits.

Just looking at my splits to post and I noticed I ran for 7 minutes for my 6 minute repeat, I'll put it down to a senior moment but perhaps I was just so focused on keeping pace I didn't notice running over the time.

10 k pace splits
    7 minutes @ 8:02 [.87 miles]
    7 minutes @ 8:06 [.87 miles]
    5 minutes @ 8:05 [.62 Miles]

5 k pace splits
    3 minutes @ 7.46 [.39 miles ]
    2 minutes @ 7:21 [ .27 miles]
    1 minute @ 7:09

That's April done, 110.7 miles in total . I missed 2 scheduled runs for the month and had a 5k pb so all in all its been good on the running front.

Month|2016|2015|2014|2013
    jan|94.78|46.2|8.31|0
    feb|61.68|13.9|30.35|0
    March|111|4.64|47.37|7
    April|110.7|21.08|42.23|25.01
    May|-|65.69|36.37|33.78
    June|-|97.03|52.69|33
    July|-|108.73|25.33|49.74
    August|-|110.42|57.9|29.42
    September|-|94.12|58.37|13.87
    October|-|125.17|95.32|3.01
    November|-|100.78|88.95|0
    December|-|63.16|23.83|0
    Totals|378.16|851.69|567.02|194.83

Nice session, solid months running to, well done.

Nice and easy 100 minutes @ 128 BPM this morning on tired legs followed with Myrtl and a good foam rolling .

Week 11 of the plan completed. I found the 2 session challenging enough so I'm happy to have completed the week .

Rezy day tomorrow Week 12 starts tuesday

50 minutes easy tonight @ 132 bpm

Enjoyable run felt very easy . 4.4 miles in the 50 minutes.

In other news I will be one of the novices running the 2016 Dublin city marathon once I stay fit. Sure why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

In other news I will be one of the novices running the 2016 Dublin city marathon once I stay fit. Sure why not.

why not indeed! best of luck with it :)

Thanks FD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Great to see you're entering DCM, best of luck with the training!

tailgunner wrote: »
    Great to see you're entering DCM, best of luck with the training!

Thanks, I'll give it my best and see where that gets me. Really looking forward to it now. As Elvis said it's now or never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck with it, you're in good hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Really cool! It looks like you're good at following plans, so this should be no bother to you :)

Give me a shout if you fancy a partner on a long run around the Swords area.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, you're in good hands!
    Thank you.
    Singer wrote: »
    Really cool! It looks like you're good at following plans, so this should be no bother to you :)

Give me a shout if you fancy a partner on a long run around the Swords area.

Thanks Singer Yeah I enjoy the structure of running to a plan . Tend not go miss too many runs on the.

Thanks for the kind offer . I hadn't forgot your offer from before so I will definitely take you up on that if you don't mind running at my pace. You may have a few routes from you training last year that I could use too. So cheers for that.

Tempo session today. 10 mins warm up 20 mins tempo and 10 mins cool down. Tempo for me is 8.13 to 8.18 minute miles.

21 minutes tempo completed @ 8.13 pace

Happy with that . Enjoyed the run .

50 minutes easy tonight .
    Well 48:08 @129 bpm

4.44 miles @ 10:51 pace .

Pace was a little quicker than usual. same route
    and heart rate as previous runs .

Out early for todays session of 10 min warm up , 5 x 5 mins at 10k pace (8.05) with 4 minute recovery and 10 minute cool down.

It's a wet morning which was nice and cooling for sessions. Before I went out I though the four minute recovery might be a little long, it wasn't especially for the last 2 reps. I found I could comfortably hit and hold the pace for the five minute intervals.

splits
    1 5:00 @ 8:02
    2 5.16 @ 7:59
    3 5;00 @ 8:05
    4 5:00 @ 8:00
    5 5:00 @7:57

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very exciting, and good luck with the training!

annapr wrote: »

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to the training and all going well the marathon itself .

annapr wrote: »

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to the training and all going well the marathon itself .

95 minute lsr was the plan today.

I have been running my easy runs by heart Rate keeping it below 132 BPM but our mentors on the marathon thread have advised us novices to run our lsr's in certain pace ranges . My LSR pace range is 11:28 to 12:53 min mies so I was determined to keep it all nice and easy and run within those ranges .

96.5 minutes @ 127 BPM
    8.3 miles @ 11:38 pace

Thats week 12 of the current plan completed, I think I will stick with this plan for another few weeks but my focus is now on dcm 2016, I'm really looking forward to starting that plan in june.

95 minute lsr was the plan today.

I have been running my easy runs by heart Rate keeping it below 132 BPM but our mentors on the marathon thread have advised us novices to run our lsr's in certain pace ranges . My LSR pace range is 11:28 to 12:53 min mies so I was determined to keep it all nice and easy and run within those ranges .

It's absolutely fine to stick with what you're doing T, I did my marathon training by HR - we'll be doing a post on it closer to the time as I think there's one other novice running by HR too.

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    It's absolutely fine to stick with what you're doing T, I did my marathon training by HR - we'll be doing a post on it closer to the time as I think there's one other novice running by HR too.

Thanks FD, It's so slow, I do question if it's the right way to go when I see some of the other novices times. I will stick with it so.

Thanks FD, It's so slow, I do question if it's the right way to go when I see some of the other novices times. I will stick with it so.

Having done it both ways I can tell you the benefits of doing your LSR's very very slowly means your body copes much better with the sessions or MP runs and when it comes time to do races you're legs are raring to go!! I'm a big fan of HR training over pace training - can you tell?!! :D

Firedance wrote: »
    Having done it both ways I can tell you the benefits of doing your LSR's very very slowly means your body copes much better with the sessions or MP runs and when it comes time to do races you're legs are raring to go!! I'm a big fan of HR training over pace training - can you tell?!! :D

I do feel fresher for the session runs since I slowed the easy ones. The only concern i have is when the mileage increases I will be out longer than I would be if running by pace but I'm doing my best to arrange my non running life around the time needed to train properly for the marathon.

Today is normally a rest day on my current plan but its a recovery/cross training day on the marathon plan I will be starting in June. With that in mind I have decided to make Monday my cross training day from now on.

I swam and cycled a bit in my youth so I will be doing one of either each week. I bough a Mountain Bike yesterday, I didn't heed my 6 year old grandsons advice who when I told him I was buying a bike and I would be able to go for spins with him said "now Granda you have to be careful ,make sure you get one with extra wheels cause you'll have to learn how to balance."

I got out for my first cross training session this evening a 40 Minutes cycle and I can confirm the old saying about never forgetting how to ride a bike is true. I loved cycling when i was younger and really enjoyed my spin this evening apart from missing the padding I used to have before I started running. A pair of those padded cycle shorts are now top of the shopping List.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Cycle for a few days and the arse gets used to it, you don't really need the padding. :)

50 minutes easy tonight, I ran by heart rate .

49:47 minutes @ 131 BPM which translated to 4.64 miles @10.44 pace.

it's a very heavy evening , I sweated quite a bit despite the easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Bit late to the party, but delighted to hear you're training for the marathon! The very very best of luck with it. Can't wait to read about it and maybe pick up some tips for next year :p

Thanks Fifa giving it a go anyway . I feel I'm in decent condition to take it on .

I see your back at it after a tough week last week. No harm in having step back weeks every now and then . Any plans for parkrun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Thanks Fifa giving it a go anyway . I feel I'm in decent condition to take it on .

I see your back at it after a tough week last week. No harm in having step back weeks every now and then . Any plans for parkrun ?

You're flying with the training now, and you definitely have the determination to see you through!
    It was mostly laziness, and a bit of demotivation, but I think the week off did me well in the long run. Hopefully will get one in this weekend but depends on work and my ability to get out of bed!

Training is going well but it's all lowish milage I have not ran over 10 miles in months .

Getting out can be tough all right but your going well and have a good attitude to it all. Keep at it.

• Advertisement

Today's session was hill repeats. 8 x 70 second repeats with 2 minute recovery , 1 mile warm up and cool down.

Another warm evening didn't help but I got through well enough I think. The two minute recovery was tough because it took me that to jog back to the bottom of the hill after each repeat. It did mean I had to jog and not walk in the recovery part and even with that there was slightly more that 2 minutes between some of the repeats.

70 second Repeat pace
    1 @ 6:53 minute mile
    2 @ 7:05
    3 @ 7:23
    4 @ 7:18
    5 @ 7:18
    6 @ 7:39
    7 @ 7:41
    8 @ 7:17

50 minutes Easy today .I was five 5 minutes in what I remembered to start my watch. Very warm here again so I took it nice and easy.

53 minutes @ 127 bpm

4.5 miles @ 11:12 pace

This morning session was 10 minute wake/warm up , 4 x 3 min @5k pace with 3 min recovery, 3 x 1 min @10k pace with 1 min recovery, 2 x3 min@ 5 k pace with 3 min recovery , 10 minute cool down.

I was really looking foward to this last night but when I woke this morning I really just felt like a lie in. It is a beautiful morning so I convinced myself to get up and get the session done.

Splits
    4x3 min @5k pace 7:48 min mile

1 @ 7:40
    2 @ 7:39
    3 @ 7 :44
    4 @ 7:41

3x1 min@10k pace 8:05 min mile
    1 @ 8:03
    2 @ 8.05
    3 @ 7:56

2x3 min@5 k pace 7:48 min mile

1 @ 7:56
    2 @ 7:45

90 minutes easy this morning at 125 bpm.

7.77 miles @ 11.43 pace
    Nice easy run before it gets too warm.

That's week 13 of the plan completed. The LSR.' Step up to 2 hours from next week which will lead me in nicely to marathon training .

45 minute spin on the bike today for my cross training fix followed by a good foam rolling.

40 minutes easy today at 129 bpm.

Wasn't really in the mood for it today which is unusual for me.

1 mile warm up ' 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 minutes @5k pace (7:48) with 2 to 3 minute recovery and 1 mile cool down.

5k pace
    1 min @ 7:41
    2 min @ 7:55
    3 min @ 8:02
    4 min @ 7:55
    3 min @ 7:55
    2 min @ 7:32
    1 min @ 7:25

I was trying to run them by feel . I didn't quite hit the paces . 2 minute recovery on each repeat.

the plan was 40 minutes easy today.

Loops of the local park was the route mostly on Grass, most of my running to date has been on footpaths so following discussion on the Marathon thread I'm going to do some of my easy running on grass to try spare the knees as the mileage increases. No music today either which didn't really bother me on the run though I tend to find myself counting as I run when I don't have the distraction of music. Haven't a clue why I'm doing that?

I'm going to continue on my current plan for one more week after this and perhaps do a timed run at the end of it and then focus solely on marathon training.

44:13 minutes @ 132bpm, 4.05 miles @11:06 pace

1 mile warm up , 3 x 10 minutes at half marathon pace 8:30 for me with 3 minute recoveries and 1 mile cool dowm.

I got to one of my favourite running locations for this, along the coast on the howth road from sutton to Raheny.

There was a brisk breeze which kept me cool but also meant i had to give a little more effort to keep the pace on parts of the repeats. Half of repeat 1 and 3 and all of repeat 2 were into the wind.

10 minute splits
    1 @8:32 pace
    2 @ 8:31 pace
    3 @8:29 pace

I had pace instead of lap pace set on my watch so I had to reset it after the warm up to record the repeats properly so the warm up and repeats were recorded as separate activities

warm up 1 mile in 11:09 @11:09
    repeats and cool down 4.9 miles in 47.57 @ 9:37 average pace

• Advertisement

2 hours easy this morning . I was on the road by 6.30 with a plan to run from Swords to Donabate on the headlands, I think it may be possible but unfortunately not when the tide is in as it was this morning, so after two miles on the coast the water blocked my intended route I had to head inland on country lanes, The amount of rabbits out with me this morning was amazing.

The run itself was nice and easy at average 126 bpm, 10.2 miles @ 11:45 pace. I ran it without music, a first for a lsr for me, It didn't bother me that I had no music though I cant say I noticed any benefit either given I was on a lsr so heart rate , breathing etc was nice and easy.

That's week 14 of the Plan completed.

I've been going solid for the last few months now so I think I may take a step back week this week and start into marathon training in earnest from Monday week.

In other news I have registered to start a 6 week Pilates course starting on Thursday next, i notice a lot of runners recommend pilates so I'm hoping it'll work for me in strengthening my core and help with marathon training.

Advertisement