Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Problem (Energy Levels)

• 21-08-2015 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am studying for a chemistry exam in collage! I haver never done chem before or been to a lecture!

The Question is: The characteristic yellow/orange light emitted from sodium vapour street lamps arises from two closely spaced lines with wavelengths of 589.59 nm and 588.99 nm. The two transitions are to a common lower state. What are the energies of the two transitions, and what is the energy difference between the two upper states? Give your answer in eV and in J mole-1.

Do you use E=(planks constant)c/(lamda) and 1/(lamda)=R(1/n^2-1/m^2)?
    I dont know where I can include sodium?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 harmonisch

E=hf and f=c/λ are the equations needed f (frequency), c(speed of light), h(plank's constant) and λ(the wavelength)
    use the equations to find E for the two wavelengths given, this gives you the energies of the two tramsitions. Then subtraction of those two answers will give you the answer to the last part

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ste.kelehan

Yeah I did that! It just seems to simple?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 harmonisch

Well that's all there is to it, it is good that you are finding it easy! Good luck in your exam!!

Okay thanks a mill!

Any one know how to do this question?

Barium Sulfate (BaSO4) is practically insoluble in water. Estimate the mass of BaSO4 that will be produced when 100ml of a 2M solution of Ba(NO3)2 in water is added to 100ml of a 2M solution of Na2SO4 in water.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why don't you attend lectures and do your own work?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

At least make an effort.

Also, this is the Leaving Cert forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement