Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPAM on mothers PC

Options
  • 21-08-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey Guys

I posted another thread recently regarding a fake virus my mother seem to be getting heckled with continuously on her PC and I really appreciated the help.

I just have some follow on queries here as it appears my mother is encountering more and more issues/spam content.

Basically my mother is using the home laptop and her tablet which I purchased here for three main reasons which are youtube, email and candy crush (on tablet) so in truth shes a novice.

It seems that my mother is being sent ferociously explicit emails on a daily basis full of all types of sexual content in a provocative and demeaning manner.

I suspect shes probably clicked into a spam email accidentally which has lead to her account being spammed consistently would this be correct?

Now in the past I've come across plenty of spam myself and got many emails from the prince of persia and the manager on oil rigs looking to purchase my cars for sale. So i've explained to the mother that its just a scam.

My question is are there any recommended products out there to block all this crap from coming her way? I'd prefer her to be in a nice environment when shes watching fleetwood mac videos on youtube without some lads knob popping up in the corner on a spinning wheel?

One point to highlight here is that the PC is very old its a Time brand which isint the mae west.

Is anyone familiar with this Mcafee security container thingy advertised recently on tv?

Any assistance/guidance provided would be warmly welcomed.

Cheers

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Prevention is the best medicine. Security software on windows will just clog the old machine up more.

Try to teach her basic internet safety. Also if it isn't too much of a bother just make a new email if her current one is getting too much spam. What email client is she using? I've found gmail to have a pretty good spam filter. Also, "mark as spam" on it (and I assume other decent email clients) will probably get rid of any other spam coming from the same source via keywords.

Limiting advertisements will reduce risk of her clicking on things that lead to trouble. Install Ublock or Ublock origin on your browser of choice (I reccomend waterfox for 64bit systems. Regular ole firefox for 32bit).

Also running CCleaner wouldn't hurt.

If all she really does want to do is watch videos then I also suggest you tell her simply to never download anything... ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Also if it isn't too much of a bother just make a new email if her current one is getting too much spam.

Ultimately this is what your mother will have to do. It's the e-mail equivalent of moving house but if she is getting bombarded with junk and spam then she has no choice.

Abandon the old e-mail address and get a new one. Be very selective about who you give the new e-mail address to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

+1 for gmail address - they are really good at the email filtering.

And the usual scan with the free "Malwarebytes" takes a couple minutes and should sort out any browser ad hijacks in case that's what she is seeing.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement