Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Lisbon, Portugal for Irish people

Options
  • 21-08-2015 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey there,

I'm thinking of spending a year in Lisbon living there with my girlfriend. As a newly graduated B.Sc who doesn't speak the language this is a little daunting. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience or advice on work in Lisbon for non Portuguese speakers? I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I cant imagine there would be many and being in Portugal I'd imagine the wages would be less than lucrative. Maybe have a look online to see if any Irish/British/American (etc) companies have offices in Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

EMSA and the EMCDDA are there and while difficult to get into as a career I would imagine that there are plenty of contracted admin staff employed. They would require high if not native levels of French, English or German. Try Monster maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Learn Portuguese ASAP, I always thought moving to a country without knowing the local language to be ridiculous. imagine trying to become employed in Ireland without English? possible but far more difficult and less people will want to deal with you. Now however, if you speak both Portuguese and fluent English, your opportunities double instantly as everyone wants native English speakers (especially ones that have the native language and can deal with both local and international situations) , it makes their companies look good...

try learn the basics of Portuguese at least, its not that hard a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Hey Bogger 92,

Did you make the move in the end?
    If so how has it gone so far. I'm considering moving there myself but speak Spanish and
    hoping it'll be fairly handy for me to pick up Portuguese.

If you're still considering it, I'd suggest English schools as the easiest way to get a job and get started out there.
    Also look at language apps like duolingo.com or babbel to start learning the basics.

Advertisement