Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant ID

Options
  • 21-08-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi everyone!
    I'm looking for the name of that tree on the photograph. It is flowering now (end of August). The flowers are about 6cm accross. The bees love them! The tree is about 10m tall. It's evergreen. Quite an impressiv specimen.
    Sorry the photo is not very sharp. It was a windy day...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Cumin wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I'm looking for the name of that tree on the photograph. It is flowering now (end of August). The flowers are about 6cm accross. The bees love them! The tree is about 10m tall. It's evergreen. Quite an impressiv specimen.
    Sorry the photo is not very sharp. It was a windy day...

It's a Eucryphia variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I do not know what that tree is, but it is very attractive. Looks a bit like a camellia but the flowers are too late in the year, the flower looks like a tree peony but the leaves are wrong, I did a bit of hunting and this https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2005/eucryphia-lucida.html seems like a good bet, http://www.hortweek.com/eucryphia/ornamentals/article/1305834

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Thanks Ik67 and looksee! Yes I think it's Eucryphia lucida

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yes, it is a eucryphia. I have a beautiful one in full flower too. A bit later than normal this year here - they like a sunnier time than we've had this summer. Ours seems as tough as old boots - is in a sheltered enough spot but it gets no special treatment. I just cut it back to fit it's site when needed. I planted 2 more delicate varieties a few years back and they are growing too - more slowly but growing away.

Advertisement