Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is "Dublin" a real place?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

endacl wrote: »
    C'mon. How are you going to backtrack later if you won't take a position on the question of unicorns?

:)

That report button is tempting... But I'm a nice person. :)

Can you find quotes of unicorns from the Bible? I'm the religious one here and I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That report button is tempting... But I'm a nice person. :)

Can you find quotes of unicorns from the Bible? I'm the religious one here and I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.

Report away there. That's what it's for, if you think you're being abused.

Here's a link for the biblical unicorns. http://bfy.tw/1iER

Report away there. That's what it's for, if you think you're being abused.

Here's a link for the biblical unicorns. http://bfy.tw/1iER

As I have said, they're just non-Jesus related stories.

I've just noticed that you're from ahem ""Dublin"" and this has got me thinking, is there any connection between living in an urban area and being atheist and living in a rural area and being religious? Have any studies been done?

As I have said, they're just non-Jesus related stories.

I've just noticed that you're from ahem ""Dublin"" and this has got me thinking, is there any connection between living in an urban area and being atheist and living in a rural area and being religious? Have any studies been done?

I have no idea. Are you suggesting a link between rural living and credulity? I certainly wouldn't automatically make that link. Some of the smartest people I know are woollybacks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm curious as to the double inverted commas, which suggests the poster is not convinced of the existence of dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

i'm curious as to the double inverted commas, which suggests the poster is not convinced of the existence of dublin.

Based on his previous posts, there seems to be a conspiracy theorist thing going on with him. Maybe there's a link there to the whole....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

No, I think you're mixed up again. Alien life may exist, or it may not. We don't know if it exists or not. Until there is evidence it does exist / does not exist, we can't logically state that it's a fiction or a fact. Hence opinions / beliefs that it does exist, or that it does not exist.

Ah ok, i see what you're saying. We should really stick to the religious part of the conversation though.
    It is my opinion that to believe in something that somebody just made up and has no evidence of is a bit naive.

OP, my life is great,i enjoy life. I don't think there is an afterlife but i suppose it would make the thought of death a little easier.

But why do u believe in a god or heaven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

There's a conspiracy theory (or joke) about a town which is believed to not exist.

If you ask anyone if they have ever been there they either say yes or no. If no, nobody has been there. If yes, they are part of the conspiracy and lying about its existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There's a conspiracy theory (or joke) about a town which is believed to not exist.

If you ask anyone if they have ever been there they either say yes or no. If no, nobody has been there. If yes, they are part of the conspiracy and lying about its existence.
    The Bielefeld Conspiracy.

Thargor wrote: »

That's the one. Couldnt remember the name of the town because its not real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It exists!

I've been there! Read about it:

The Five People You Meet in Dublin.

Stairway to Dublin.

Love From Dublin.

The First Phonecall From Dublin.

Proof of Dublin.

Dublin is for Real.

And many more good books about Dublin.

This is the thread that keeps on giving. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It exists!

I've been there! Read about it:

The Five People You Meet in Dublin.

Stairway to Dublin.

Love From Dublin.

The First Phonecall From Dublin.

Proof of Dublin.

Dublin is for Real.

And many more good books about Dublin.

How do you know you exist?

Keplar240B wrote: »

How does he know you don't?

I have photographs of Dublin, but I wont show them to you. Just look some up online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The Bible was written very shortly after Jesus died so if some people started to write about this Jesus guy and claiming it was true, there would be uproar, or at least some record of one person complaining about the Bible.

Another thing, the writers of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John must have been crazy potheads to have wasted so much time writing about Jesus if it wasn't true.
    The New Testament was written, at the earliest, around the year 50CE, 18 years after Jesus' reported death. The gospel of Mark was written about the year 70CE; 38 years after Jesus' reported death. None of it 'very shortly' after Jesus died.

The bible itself was put together around 300CE and edited, re-edited, translated, and re-translated who knows how many times between now and then.

As for having to be crazy potheads to spend a lot of time writing something untrue - people will write any old guff for money and fame.

kylith wrote: »
    The New Testament was written, at the earliest, around the year 50CE, 18 years after Jesus' reported death. The gospel of Mark was written about the year 70CE; 38 years after Jesus' reported death. None of it 'very shortly' after Jesus died.

The bible itself was put together around 300CE and edited, re-edited, translated, and re-translated who knows how many times between now and then.

As for having to be crazy potheads to spend a lot of time writing something untrue - people will write any old guff for money and fame.

The writers didn't declare themselves miraculous. They talked about a Jesus guy. I don't know why they'd get money.

Also, 18 years isn't a long time and the story of Jesus would have been passed down to children by their parents. If it wasn't then there would be people moaning about the story of Jesus being a load of bull.

I have photographs of Dublin, but I wont show them to you. Just look some up online.

Dont worry. I borrowed the OP's camera and got a picture of dublin.

Dont worry. I borrowed the OP's camera and got a picture of dublin.

No no no. The black lips and ghost photos are completely unrelated. Please edit your photo so it shows a ghost AND a legitimate person whose lips "came out" black, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The writers didn't declare themselves miraculous. They talked about a Jesus guy. I don't know why they'd get money.

Also, 18 years isn't a long time and the story of Jesus would have been passed down to children by their parents. If it wasn't then there would be people moaning about the story of Jesus being a load of bull.

Word of mouth is subject to so much error though, like Chinese whispers.

• Advertisement

No no no. The black lips and ghost photos are completely unrelated. Please edit your photo so it shows a ghost AND a legitimate person whose lips "came out" black, thanks.

Marilyn-Manson-Black-Lipstick.jpg

You'll have to imagine the ghost. There's no such thing as ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

this has got me thinking, is there any connection between living in an urban area and being atheist and living in a rural area and being religious?

"No".

Shrap wrote: »
    "No".

""""""""No""""""""

Shrap wrote: »
    "No".

Actually, I believe there is. I know a few city dwellers, they're all atheist.

Nearly every rural person (like myself) has some faith.

Anecdote. The enemy of fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Cogito ergo sum!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The Bible was written very shortly after Jesus died so if some people started to write about this Jesus guy and claiming it was true, there would be uproar, or at least some record of one person complaining about the Bible.

About 50 -80 years afterwards is the best estimate. Imagine the first accounts of WWII were only to be written today based on stories passed down from war veterans.
    Another thing, the writers of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John must have been crazy potheads to have wasted so much time writing about Jesus if it wasn't true.

Or they were interested in starting a new religious movement and Jesus was a good person to base it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Does only having Faith on vinyl count?

Cogito ergo sum!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

• Advertisement

Cogito ergo sum!

That's good. That's very good. But how do you know that anything else exists?

That's good. That's very good. But how do you know that anything else exists?

Photos. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Aren't you going to answer the question about this """"grandmother"""" you claim to have photographed?

Oh wait, that was someone else. Oops, sorry.

Or maybe the """"""grandmother"""""" in question doesn't exist.

Or perhaps we can't find out if the """""""""grandmother"""""""" exists or not without causing her to cease existing.

Is she possibly Schrödinger's Grandmother?

Now, listen, listen. Here's the big question. How do you know that the evidence your sensory apparatus reveals to you is correct? What I'm getting at is this. The only experience that is directly available to you is your sensory data. This sensory data is merely a stream of electrical impulses that stimulate your "brain". You really don't know what the outside universe is really like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Now, listen, listen. Here's the big question. How do you know that the evidence your sensory apparatus reveals to you is correct? What I'm getting at is this. The only experience that is directly available to you is your sensory data. This sensory data is merely a stream of electrical impulses that stimulate your "brain". You really don't know what the outside universe is really like.

Are you even able to verify that it's real sensory data, or that your "brain" is even made up of cells or other flesh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is getting deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

kippy wrote: »
    This is getting deep.

Like a treacle well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I am a rural person living in a village of about 500. I know many atheists and more religious, so yes there are more religious people in my area. However, I would say that the proportion of atheists to religious people is approximately the same countrywide, so I dispute your anecdotal evidence and present my own instead.

So, again.....,""""NO""". And my """proof""" is as good as yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can someone please verify the existence of boards.ie before i continue posting here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Tá sé mahogany gasspipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Overheal wrote: »
    Are you even able to verify that it's real sensory data, or that your "brain" is even made up of cells or other flesh?

How can you know its even called a "brain"?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lazygal wrote: »
    How can you know its even called a "brain"?

Jaffa Cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Jaffa Cakes.

Yeah, that makes about as much sense as the previous couple of pages.

You are all false data.
    Therefore I shall ignore you
    False data can act only as a distraction. Therefore, I shall refuse to perceive. The only thing that exists is myself.

What's with all the "s?

You are all false data.
    Therefore I shall ignore you
    False data can act only as a distraction. Therefore, I shall refuse to perceive. The only thing that exists is myself.

Link to a photo of said potentially habitable exoplanet please. Not an "artist's impression".

No photo, no Keplar 240B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wrong thread.

robindch wrote: »
    Wrong thread.

Has been since the granny bit.

Biscuits?

Has been since the granny bit.

Biscuits?

The "granny bit" was on-topic. My grandmother is a fine and happy woman. She is also atheist, which makes me think "I wonder what gives her a reason not to complain about life not having any meaning".

The "granny bit" was on-topic. My grandmother is a fine and happy woman. She is also atheist, which makes me think "I wonder what gives her a reason not to complain about life not having any meaning".

Have you spoken to her about it yet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement