Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is "Dublin" a real place?

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Call the fire brigade , your pants are on fire.

Fireman Sam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Can we introduce a rule whereby any theists have to give a full, thorough, account of what they're on about when they say 'god'? Between all the various world religions and their multitude of flavours, and the new habit of saying 'oh but when I say 'god' I mean the universe/some nebulous being that created everything but isn't defined by any religion/my cat' it's very difficult to actually know what we're discussing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Not to go off topic (mar dhea), but Hitler didnt order the Holocaust. Heydrich ordered it. You can see for yourself in the Wansee Conference House, Wansee, Berlin. Or trust the wikipedia article:

Ok, replace Hitler with "Heydrich" in my posts. You know what I meant. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nobody said "Christian God". Throughout my whole posts I have been referring to "God", nothing else. I don't know what you mean by Christian God anyway. My belief is that someone is responsible for everything and I have no idea what a Christian God is.
    In response to all those who say "Why does God allow blah blah blah to happen to people?", I have the following to say:

I believe that life is just God giving us a taste of both pain and enjoyment, as well as being a test.

God wants us all to be saved and to live with him in his wonderful world called "Heaven".

God is a loving being. He wants us to be part of his family, but he doesn't want serial killers or thieves (i.e. sinners) in his home.

If life was perfect without disease or death or suffering then people would be too attached to false idols to want to know God.

I don't know why I'm here. Maybe we've all met God before. Maybe he has wiped our memories and put us here to test us.

I would like to ask certain people here, why does the idea of a being such as God seem ridiculous?

I find it quite difficult to believe that someone can be truly "atheist".

Very Christian language to use considering you didn't mean to refer to Christianity.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Delirium wrote: »
    Very Christian language to use considering you didn't mean to refer to Christianity.

Christian language? :confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Christian language? :confused::confused::confused:

Christian language: words/phrases pertaining to Christianity, Jesus, God etc.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Thanks for clearing up that tricky question there, Delirium.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Nobody said "Christian God". Throughout my whole posts I have been referring to "God", nothing else. I don't know what you mean by Christian God anyway. My belief is that someone is responsible for everything and I have no idea what a Christian God is.
    I respect that you don't believe in God but I don't understand how you can cope with life believing that when you die, that's it.

I find it difficult to square these two assertions. In your OP you refer to God, not a god, and you refer to an afterlife. Now youre going on about the theoretical possibility that an unknown divine agency created the world. So either you believe in a specific set of religious beliefs which includes an afterlife (doesnt have to be Christian, I suppose) or you simply think its possible the world was created by a divine force. You cant ride two horses in this race.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ok, replace Hitler with "Heydrich" in my posts. You know what I meant. :pac:

Thats precisely my point. You were adamant that it was Hitler/God, then when you didnt like how the argument was going it became Heydrich/a god. What you meant was that some facts are so well entrenched that people are reluctant to sway from that view. What I meant is that very often accepted wisdom or common sense are wrong, albeit that they require information that a lot of people arent aware of.

kylith wrote: »
    Can we introduce a rule whereby any theists have to give a full, thorough, account of what they're on about when they say 'god'?
    In theory it's a good idea to ask people to say what they mean. Not going to work with religious thinking though.
    kylith wrote: »
    [...] it's very difficult to actually know what we're discussing.
    That's the point really - by using nebulous words, people can avoid being tied down to any particular fixed meaning - either because they've no very good idea of how to map what they think to what they say, or because they want to avoid saying something that they can be picked up upon.

Deepak Chopra is a wonderful example of this kind of meaningless woo - you could listen to him for hours and not have the slightest idea what he actually means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Lord Riverside

Watching the hateful mob's enjoyment feeding off and bullying this guy has been quite educational. Not in the way they think though.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

You posted in the Christian forum saying you are a Christian, with a caveat of being at least a theist.
    You also use God not god. 'God' is traditionally referring to the Christian god. It would be like some, who posts both in the Islamic forum and here, talking about Allah and then saying they never claimed it was the Islamic god, just another sort of Allah (which means Highest or Greatest God).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Watching the hateful mob's enjoyment feeding off and bullying this guy has been quite educational. Not in the way they think though.

How was it hateful? It was simply pointing out evasions and inconsistencies. The same thing happens in the politics and economics forums. Is that hateful too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Have you reported posts? Would you like to make specific allegations? Why do you think the OP is incapable of speaking for themselves?

Which mob and which guy?

Your invective might achieve more if it were possible to establish where it's aimed at.

robindch wrote: »
    Which mob and which guy?

Your invective might achieve more if it were possible to establish where it's aimed at.

I think I'm the guy and you all are the mob.

Wait a minute... :eek: You bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Reported for personal abuse. Stop bullying us! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well its certainly been good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

:D
    endacl wrote: »
    Reported for personal abuse. Stop bullying us! :mad:
    looksee wrote: »
    Well its certainly been good value.

Lads, we're not great at being a mob are we? :o How embarrassing. We're after falling down at the first commandment of mob behaviour (thou shalt not make friends with your victims...).

Bloody atheists. Never could toe the line, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Christian God is the god Christians believe in,

Unless you believe the god that created all was thor?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shrap wrote:
    Bloody atheists. Never could toe the line, eh?

I know, it's as if there are no common rules or guidelines for atheists to follow.....other then none belief in God's.

;)

Advertisement