Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is "Dublin" a real place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MrPudding wrote: »
    As for hell on earth,,, It is almost as if some religious people are living on a different planet. Is it perfect? No. Are some people dicks? Yes, quite a few actually. Is it really hell on earth? Meh, not really.

Exactly.

The believers come across as scared and paranoid.

Not a great sales pitch for their superstition really is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

looksee wrote: »
    I am struggling with how it is a consolation to know that god is causing you grief and then watching you cope?

I can't really understand it either, but you can't deny that some people are reassured by the fact that there's "someone watching over them". Logic has little to do with it.

It's like when there's an earthquake and they find someone alive in the rubble after six days you hear stuff like 'God has answered our prayers' and I'm thinking "what about all those other poor f*ckers that he let die?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I think it's just that the truly religious can't believe that God would do some of the ****ty things that happen in the world, so he must be going to make up for it with some sort of awesome afterlife. It can't just be that the world is sometimes a great place, sometimes a ****ty place, and that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

I know the title looks insulting to atheists but I am not attacking atheist beliefs.

I respect that you don't believe in God but I don't understand how you can cope with life believing that when you die, that's it.
    If I had 100% definitive proof that there was no God, I'd turn into a depressed psycho murderer. That's if I didn't kill myself in a depression fulled rage.

Can you please explain how you live life believing there is no God without going insane?

You know what? I stopped going insane when I stopped believing. Was one of the most liberating things I ever did ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I much prefer the idea of life without a god and an afterlife then one with a god etc. If all that Christian crap was true, I would be going to hell for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lucena wrote: »
    It's like when there's an earthquake and they find someone alive in the rubble after six days you hear stuff like 'God has answered our prayers' and I'm thinking "what about all those other poor f*ckers that he let die?"

It's very simple,
    -They didn't believe in the god or believe in em enough
    -Nobody prayed for those people that died
    -It was part of God's plan

To think that there is no god is unthinkable for these people, it's much easier to create any other reason for somebody living or dieing,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think it's just that the truly religious can't believe that God would do some of the ****ty things that happen in the world, so he must be going to make up for it with some sort of awesome afterlife. It can't just be that the world is sometimes a great place, sometimes a ****ty place, and that's all there is to it.

The truly religious ignore the countless deaths caused by God in the Bible, God kills many more people then the devil ever did in the Bible. Yet the devil is the bad guy

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

I think everyone on the thread should stop trying to justify atheism. What if the OP is persuaded by your arguments and turns into a depressed psycho murderer like he promised?

Just keep telling him that god exists and maybe nobody will get hurt.

As for me, I find that eating babies keeps my mind off becoming a psycho.
    Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just making an observation, and going to quote Arnold's End Of Days film, something Gabriel Byrne's character The Man said, and it's stuck with me all these years later..
    Something good happens, "It's His will." Something bad happens, "He moves in mysterious ways."
    Let me tell you something about Him. He is the biggest underachiever of all time. He just has a good publicist, that's all.

I think those 2 quotes sum up God IF he did exist..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just making an observation, and going to quote Arnold's End Of Days film, something Gabriel Byrne's character The Man said, and it's stuck with me all these years later..

I think those 2 quotes sum up God IF he did exist..

Pacino's "absentee landlord" metaphor was better IMO -

(Contains NSFW/unparliamentary language)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I know the title looks insulting to atheists but I am not attacking atheist beliefs.

I respect that you don't believe in God but I don't understand how you can cope with life believing that when you die, that's it.
    If I had 100% definitive proof that there was no God, I'd turn into a depressed psycho murderer. That's if I didn't kill myself in a depression fulled rage.

Can you please explain how you live life believing there is no God without going insane?

So the only thing stopping you murdering someone is a belief you will be punished for it by some divine being ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

So the only thing stopping you murdering someone is a belief you will be punished for it by some divine being ?

We have come across a few of those. I don't think it is particularly common, but it is a lot more common than one might think or hope. Such a sad, sad way to be.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

But they have no beliefs even though they spend more time talking about God than believers do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm just a nice person I guess :D I don't need to be threatened with hell to make sure I'm not an a***hole or an axe murderer. I guess I have emphaty.

As for the fear of it being over. I'd say it's just acceptance. It's not great but at least it's the same for everyone. And deep down we all kinds know it makes sense.

And on a humorous note. All the depictions of heaven I've seen don't really appeal to me. I don't want to spend eternity all happy and smiley and virtuous and righteous sitting on a cloud playing harp. Sounds awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sam Kade wrote: »
    But they have no beliefs even though they spend more time talking about God than believers do.

I doubt it. Outside of this forum I spend virtually no time thinking or talking about deities.

If 'virtually no time' is more time than believers spend then no wonder religion is dying a death in this country.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sam Kade wrote: »

I seem to spend more time dissuading people about the fact they think I talk about god than talking about god actually.

What website did this get put up on that everyone suddenly wants to use this argument?

Anyway, standard response; the reason non believers talk so much about religion is, despite not believing in it, in countries like Ireland the separation of church and state is not clear, so in order to live our lives in peace and without the influence of (usually plainly corrupt) organisations we never bought in to, we simply have to speak out and fight our corner.

In any case, there's many, many more you simply don't hear from, as they're just getting on with life.

On topic, I think there's a certain beauty in an atheist being nice to another. To an atheist, there's a very limited time to your existence, and it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to extend the amount of time you have. Time is the ultimate finite resource. We are candles flickering in the void, and when the wick is gone, so is our mind and everything we are.

Yet, with no orders from a supreme being, or a book to tell us what to do, because it is in people's inherent nature, we're nice to each other. We give up our time. We help people out. We give up the one thing for one another we can simply never get more of, time. When you think about it, that's amazing, because there's no god for us letting us into heaven, or threatening us with hell. With no reward other than how it simply makes you feel, most people do good. Isn't that amazing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Was out for a few beers with my cousin the other day & this topic happened to come up in conversation. Can't remember exactly how the conversation went but it was mentioned that I don't believe in God. He was dumbfounded to learn this despite knowing me very well. His response when I told him I don't believe: "But then who do you pray to when you pray?".....

Some people just can't fathom life without faith. Whatever gives people comfort & all that.

We have come across a few of those. I don't think it is particularly common, but it is a lot more common than one might think or hope. Such a sad, sad way to be.

MrP

Indeed, never did understand why some people see Religion or God as a moral compass!!! - have they not read the Bible ??

Lucena wrote: »
    I can't really understand it either, but you can't deny that some people are reassured by the fact that there's "someone watching over them". Logic has little to do with it.

Exactly such a selfish disrespectful thing to say when others have suffered or worse.
    I also can't stand athletes who claim that God is on their side, or makes them win .... f'uck off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Indeed, never did understand why some people see Religion or God as a moral compass!!! - have they not read the Bible ??

Very few christians, particularly catholics have read fcuk all of the bible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    "But then who do you pray to when you pray?"

Magnificent.

No, no most Catholics and Christians haven't.
    They've heard bits of it from priests and in school, thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Why doesn't God just come to Earth tomorrow to show everyone he is real and then go back to where ever he lives? That way we would all know that he is real and life would be easier.

And whilst he's here maybe he could explain himself in regards to cancer, animal cruelty, child abuse, rape, wars, homosexuality...the list goes on!

PLEASE NOTE I meant to say Homophobia is an issue, not homosexuality!
    Sorry, genuine mistake - I'm a strong supporter of same sex marriage. It took me a while to notice my silly mistake, I apologise.

And whilst he's here maybe he could explain himself in regards to cancer, animal cruelty, child abuse, rape, wars, homosexuality...the list goes on!

Yes because homosexuality is right up there with cancer, wars, child abuse...

Seriously?

Boskowski wrote: »
    Yes because homosexuality is right up there with cancer, wars, child abuse...

Seriously?

I didn't state anywhere in my post that the issues I've mentioned were on par with each other - they're just examples with what's wrong with the world and why I am an atheist. All listed off the top of my head.

Exactly such a selfish disrespectful thing to say when others have suffered or worse.
    I also can't stand athletes who claim that God is on their side, or makes them win .... f'uck off!!
    This confused the sh!t out of me on first read as I took athletes for athiests.

I didn't state anywhere in my post that the issues I've mentioned were on par with each other - they're just examples with what's wrong with the world and why I am an atheist. All listed off the top of my head.

Fair enough. But call me a do gooder or whatever, I fail to see how homosexuality is one of the wrongs of the world. I'm not homosexual but that would imply that homosexuals would rather not be that. I don't think that's true really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

This is one of the biggest irritants I have with the religious. "I'm sorry mother of 6 in a famine and drought ridden country, I can't save any of your children, I am too busy helping overpaid, soft as sh1t football players score goals. It's all about priorities love."

MrP

Boskowski wrote: »
    Fair enough. But call me a do gooder or whatever, I fail to see how homosexuality is one of the wrongs of the world. I'm not homosexual but that would imply that homosexuals would rather not be that. I don't think that's true really.

Oh! I'm so stupid - I meant homophobia is an issue and NOT homosexuality...
    I totally came across as a homophobe myself there!

Apologies to all that I have may have offended, totally genuine mistake.

• Advertisement

Oh! I'm so stupid - haha I meant homophobia is an issue and NOT homosexuality...

Magic.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Magic.

Haha I'm so embarrassed!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Haha I'm so embarrassed!! :o

You've been rumbled, Ronán

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

animal cruelty, child abuse, rape, wars, homosexuality...the list goes on!

Ok, let's blame God for Jimmy Savile raping people. Let's blame God for Hitler starting WWII. Let's blame God for anything caused by *humans* who have *freewill*.

It's not our fault at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

That'll be 5 Hail Marys so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ok, let's blame God for Jimmy Savile raping people. Let's blame God for Hitler starting WWII. Let's blame God for anything caused by *humans* who have *freewill*.

I don't know if you're being dense on purpose or genuinely funny. The people on this forum usually don't even believe in any gods so we don't blame them for anything. Jimmy Savile is responsible for Jimmy Savile.

If a god existed it would have full knowledge of what JS was doing, as he was doing it and choose to let it happen. I bet you would act to stop JS from abusing children because you're probably a decent, moral being. You would be better than your god (if it existed).

It depends on which god squad you support. Predestination doesn't allow for free will under some interpretation. In other interpretations, it doesn't matter what you do as your eternal destination is not effected by your behaviour. JS could be in heaven watching the whole drama on Sky news with a cigar in his gob and a grin on his face.

I just think the idea of a god is interesting but clearly not reality based
    It's not our fault at all!

You're so close to solving the puzzle but I'd be afraid that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between good and bad behaviour without a god belief

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"I'm sorry mother of 6 in a famine and drought ridden country, I can't save any of your children, I am too busy helping overpaid, soft as sh1t football players score goals. It's all about priorities love."
    And this:

360954.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, personally I don't care what belief system you use, I've got mine. I don't question how you can cope having to live your life clinging to a concept that hasn't been proven to exist.

I'm a scientist so I look at everything with the scientific approach. We are just a collections of atoms and molecules that have developed a series of complex chemical reactions. If you follow the carbon cycle, you will see that we are just a part of the cycle. When we die, the atoms/molecules are released into their various cycles.

For me, the concept of a God just doesn't make sense and is not scientifically sound.

My opinion is that the concept of a "God" was primarily created to explain things that people saw and couldn't explain (sunrise, evolution, disease's, etc). It then morphed into a system of controlling populations by a minority both politically and culturally. The concept of a "soul" developed both to explain the complex bodily systems and to allow something for people to cling to.

No worries, I certainly wasn't offended. It stood out for me is all.
    Tbh I think I've seen you posting before and it would have been quite uncharacteristic if I remember right.

ianobrien wrote: »
    For me, the concept of a God just doesn't make sense and is not scientifically sound.

What do you mean by "not scientifically sound"?

Well, Mr. "Scientist". Have you proven where we've come from? Have you proven how nothing has turned into what we see today and how life formed? I believe in God more than I do atheists. I just can't see how some people can call themselves "atheists". If you told me you were agnostic, I'd say fair enough. Can you tell me how life structures itself? Can you tell me how instinct develops itself? Can you tell me how DNA creates itself? Can you tell me why humans are the only spiritual life forms?

I know "ghosts" exist. 100% belief. They definitely exist. I have experienced them and have taken photos that were photobombed by a deceased person. I'm not trying to convince you but I'm just saying that if ghosts can exist then why would I throw away the possibility of a god?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What do you mean by "not scientifically sound"?

Well, Mr. "Scientist". Have you proven where we've come from? Have you proven how nothing has turned into what we see today and how life formed? I believe in God more than I do atheists. I just can't see how some people can call themselves "atheists". If you told me you were agnostic, I'd say fair enough. Can you tell me how life structures itself? Can you tell me how instinct develops itself? Can you tell me how DNA creates itself? Can you tell me why humans are the only spiritual life forms?

I know "ghosts" exist. 100% belief. They definitely exist. I have experienced them and have taken photos that were photobombed by a deceased person. I'm not trying to convince you but I'm just saying that if ghosts can exist then why would I throw away the possibility of a god?

No, have you? You are surely not going to say 'god did it' and expect us all to say 'oh thank you Notovirus for solving that for us'?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    No, have you? You are surely not going to say 'god did it' and expect us all to say 'oh thank you Notovirus for solving that for us'?

Ah, no. I'm just pointing out that it's a bit silly for someone who knows nothing of where we came from to say "I don't believe in God" or "Science says no".

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

We came from dust, and we'll return to dust when we kick the bucket, or some might prefer cremation..

It's silly discussing this, as no side really has a definitive answer, so just stop worrying and life your life as best you can religious or not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Thats amazing news, could you post the pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

The op needs to get in touch with Mr Randi, he could collect 1 million dollars for such proof.

The op needs to get in touch with Mr Randi, he could collect 1 million dollars for such proof.

It isnt a great surprise that the credulous are not discerning about the guff they believe.

They're not on my computer so not now.

I want to keep on topic but if you really want evidence then ask Google.

They're not on my computer so not now.

I want to keep on topic but if you really want evidence then ask Google.

Would you be interested in buying a magic lamp? Its got a genie , three wishes and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Roquentin wrote: »
    “You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.”

― Henry David Thoreau

“To be is to do”—Socrates.
    “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
    “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

another good day at the gym op. all good for this atheist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement