Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is "Dublin" a real place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    it comforts people to think so which cant be a bad thing

I beg to differ. It comforts some people sometimes. Other times it torments people. Surely I don't need to give examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

endacl wrote: »
    I beg to differ. It comforts some people sometimes. Other times it torments people. Surely I don't need to give examples?

i know many it really works for, in fact im some what jealous of their beliefs at times as my world in this regard is very black or white. its ok to have religious beliefs and also if you do not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

My grandmother is an atheist. Sometimes she talks about her own death in a laid back way. "When I die I'll give this to X". And sometimes she mentions having a pain and not being able to have surgery because she's too old and she says things like "Well I have to die sometime". Obviously she doesn't look forward to dying but she seems happy despite her irreligious beliefs.

Maybe I have some kind of OCD thing when it comes to this topic, but I can't imagine being an atheist and having a drive to live life to the fullest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My grandmother is an atheist. Sometimes she talks about her own death in a laid back way. "When I die I'll give this to X". And sometimes she mentions having a pain and not being able to have surgery because she's too old and she says things like "Well I have to die sometime". Obviously she doesn't look forward to dying but she seems happy despite her irreligious beliefs.

Maybe I have some kind of OCD thing when it comes to this topic, but I can't imagine being an atheist and having a drive to live life to the fullest.

my grandfather use to say he was in the departure lounge when asked how he was doing. this was for the final years of his life. i suspect he was ready for death. he had a pretty good life. i guess i ll understand it better when i get to that stage of my life but we find it funny now, always did really

On the contrary, when you're aware that this is 'it', a tendency to live 'it' to the fullest follows. What's hard to understand about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Lord Riverside

One of the greatest misconceptions some religious and non religious people have about one another is that they presume the other has nothing substantial to live for in this life.

One believes this life determines their eternity, the other believes it is their eternity, so in either case, why would one not endevour to live the absolutely best and fullest life one possibly can ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

What's the point in a living being reproducing even though it's going to die? Do sheep reproduce because they want the sheep race to dominate the world?

I dunno. Not much point to it really, except LIFE. We are born, we live life (through chance and happy circumstance) and the purpose or point is what we make of it. We have the drive to want to stay alive (and I've no idea where that comes from - some primeval instinct?) until such a time as we've maybe had enough of wherever we're at - maybe we're old and tired and sick, maybe we're past caring - and then we can be comfortable with our lives ending. I don't know, I'm not there yet.

TBH though....I don't think there's a point to it, from some external force. Just an internal urge to live your life to the full.

In what way do you feel your grandmother has failed to live her life to the fullest?

In what way do you feel your grandmother has failed to live her life to the fullest?

She hasn't failed to live her life to the fullest. I never said that.

She (presumably) has had a good life so far and still has a good life but for some reason she's not too worried about dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Psychologically don't people behave in ways in which they try and reach their full potential and towards self growth anyway?

• Advertisement

Shrap wrote: »
    I dunno. Not much point to it really, except LIFE.

DNA, that's where it's at.

If you're going to read Dawkins - and I recommend that you do - don't bother with that God Delusion book. Read The Selfish Gene instead.

Has she or hasn't she?

It's not that hard a question, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

It's interesting that you for some reason link happiness and faith, and something that contradicts that is seen as anomalous.

Try looking at the bigger picture, people are happy regardless of religious leanings, just as people can be unhappy regardless of beliefs.

Your grandmother sounds secure in her interpretation of the world, not something that can be said for you. It's that security that allows her to be happy and content, and not living in fear of the end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zillah wrote: »
    Why does God need to exist?
    Because if we didn't have Zeus, who's going to create all the smaller gods?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

DNA, that's where it's at.

If you're going to read Dawkins - and I recommend that you do - don't bother with that God Delusion book. Read The Selfish Gene instead.

Thanks, but tried him a few times. Life's too short ;) I have both those books actually....

Not that he's not fierce interesting, just that I exclusively use reading for relaxation and I like a good fictional drama! Wish I did know more about DNA, but am quite happy not knowing much, at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She (presumably) has had a good life so far and still has a good life but for some reason she's not too worried about dying.

But if you think that atheists can't live life to the fullest and your grandmother is an atheist then it sounds like you don't think your grandmother has lived life to the fullest.

Have you considered talking about this with your grandmother? Is it the fact that she may not have long left which is giving you concern about atheism, our lives, and what happens after we die?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If anything athiests have more of a drive to live life to the fullest. Mind you, that does depend on what a your definition of a full life is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

So, to recap: the OP is afraid of death, when he will be reunited with his loved ones for an eternity in the presence of God, who OP is pretty sure exists, in the afterlife, which OP knows exists because OP has photos of ghosts. Therefore atheists, scientists, and their ilk are full of it (and even worse, are cheerful, well-adjusted, and manage to get through the day without running amok in an amoral orgy of murder, licentiousness and crayons).

Have I left anything out?

thomasbelnap.png#Atheism%20memes%20650x650

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BarryAlfaro

To live life as an athlete, the only thing you need to have is DISCIPLINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Can you tell me
    Can you tell me
    Can you tell me

Can you tell me what "God of The Gaps" means? Because that is essentially what you are selling here.
    I know "ghosts" exist. 100% belief.

Fair enough, I will just add it to the list of things you declare belief in but refuse to offer even the smallest quantity of substantiation for of any type.
    Ah, no. I'm just pointing out that it's a bit silly for someone who knows nothing of where we came from to say "I don't believe in God"

Except it is not silly at all. Just because there are questions for which we have no answers, that does not make it silly to also acknowledge that the god hypothesis for answering it is an unsubstantiated non-starter. What IS silly is making up fantastical narratives to stuff into the gaps in our knowledge and sweep our ignorances under the carpet.
    What are you saying? I have a genuine question.

You yourself have made this difficult to believe by doing everything from derailing your own thread by yourself away from the "genuine question", skipping over, ignoring and refusing to engage with people who genuinely did answer your "genuine" question, and with shoving words and claims into peoples mouths who never made them.

You are not making it easy to believe you are genuine at all therefore and any responses you receive suggesting you are not, are as much your fault as theirs.
    I just don't get how someone can confidently say "Nope, there's no God. When I die, that's it for me. I'm still happy."

Then perhaps try reading and engaging with the people who have given you answers to that very questions, rather than derailing your own thread into theistic debating and proselytizing and lame evolution bashing.
    I just want people to explain how they find happiness as atheists. There is no need for flaming.

And explain it they have. You having ignored those responses does not magically make them cease to exist. Go back to the start of your own thread and start again and engage honestly this time with the people who took the time to answer your "genuine" question.
    I can't understand why life would start itself. Why does life need to exist?

You would need to clarify for me why you are making the leap from "X happened" to "Why did X NEED to happen". Where are you pulling "need" from here? What do you mean by "need"? All we know is that it happened. How is still an open question, but I have not seen anything to do with "need" in this question.
    heavily point to intelligent design

Does it? How so? You appear to be asserting this without supporting it in any way. By all means lay out for me the arguments, evidence, data and reasoning you have on offer to support the notion that a non-human intelligent intentional agent is behind the creation and/or subsequent maintenance of our universe. I am all ears.
    How can you explain intelligent design?

More to the point, can YOU? You are the one that brought it up, asserted it, and are claiming it. The onus of explanation lies with you, not us.
    In the beginning, there was nothing.

Explain how you have come to this conclusion and established it as fact please.
    you'll never see them again[/B] just makes me sick. If you're a fully convinced atheist then how do you cope with believing that? How the hell do you do it?

Well firstly I do it by accepting it. Acceptance is the first step in dealing with anything. If you can not get past that much, there is no point telling you more.

Further however, you are making an argument from implications fallacy here. There either is a god, or there is not. There either is an after life, or there is not.

The truth of this is not affected by how you feel about it, how much it terrifies you, how much you want something to be true, or how well you are coping with it. If your belief in god is predicated on not being able to cope, which is all you have actually presented so far, then it is predicated on nothing. You needing there to be a god, does not mean there is one.

And my position is the exact opposite of yours. I can not imagine being all that bothered to engage and life THIS life, if it was a simple preclude to an eternal never ending second one. Even in terms of mere time this one would be insignificant as there is no linguistic way to compare 80 years with infinite time.

Further however the concept of an infinite long life is itself horrific. Let alone one overseen by a dictator who insists you have a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Ah, no. Evolution wasn't discovered. It's a theory that Darwin himself said can only be proven by future scientists if they find the missing links, which they haven't.

For any unfortunate believers of the evolution theory, this is a good read: http://humansarefree.com/2013/12/9-scienctific-facts-prove-theory-of.html

According to endacl, the link I gave above is "riddled with malware". It's fine for me with the necessary malware blocking add-ons. Proceed at your own risk.

OK, two problems here.

Firstly, evolution was discovered. The idea of evolution (i.e. that things change over time) had been around long before Darwin. What Darwin did was propose a naturalistic mechanism to explain the changes that occur from generation to generation. In fact Darwin proposed two mechanisms which act in concert with each other. Natural selection explains how mutations are retained because of the physiological advantages they confer on their parent organisms. Sexual selection explains how mutations are retained because of the attractiveness advantages they confer on their parent organisms. While Darwin's original theory was a pretty good explanation it didn't have the benefit of modern discoveries like genetics, DNA, cladistics etc. However in the last 150 years all the information that we've obtained from microbiology, palaeontology, cladistics, genetics, geology etc. have only confirmed Darwin's theory. Again and again and again.

Secondly, there's your link. As endacl points out it's wrong. In fact, it's fractally wrong. And here's why.

"The Theory of Evolution is not a scientific law or a law of biology. A scientific law must be 100% correct."

It is clear from the opening sentence that the author has no clue what the terms theory and law mean in a scientific concept. A law is a linguistic and mathematical description of a phenomenon. Take gravity, for example. The law of gravity as formulated by Newton states:

"any two bodies in the universe attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them."

The law can also be represented mathematically:

0f36df929ac9d711a8ba8c5658c3bfee.png

So the law tells us how gravity operates and what the factors which govern it are and their relationship to each other. However, the law doesn't explain why gravity exists or why it behaves the way it does. That's what the theory of gravity of is for.
    A theory is the highest level of confidence that science can attain. A theory is an explanatory framework encompassing laws, observations and experimental results. So a theory includes laws, it doesn't ever become a law. So when the author of the article says:

"The Theory of Evolution will never become a law of science because it is wrought with errors. This is why it is still called a theory, instead of a law."

he is dead wrong.

But the fail doesn't stop there.

"A desired trait can be produced in dogs by selecting dogs with a particular trait to produce offspring with that trait. This specialized selective breeding can continue for generation after generation until a breed of dog is developed. This is the same as the "survival of the fittest" theory of the evolutionists.
    Many different types of dogs can be developed this way, but they can never develop a cat by selectively breeding dogs. Natural selection can never extend outside of the DNA limit. DNA cannot be changed into a new species by natural selection. The same process of selective breeding is done with flowers, fruits, and vegetables."

Here the author confuses not only artificial selection with natural selection but also breeds with species and microevolution with macroevolution.

Firstly with regard to dogs and artificial selection. The different types of dogs are different breeds not different species. A breed is defined as any group of animals which have a set of characteristics shared by all members of that group and no members of a sister group. So different breeds of dog can still interbreed since they are part of the same species.
    Secondly, because of artificial selection breeds have been artificially restricted to be within certain limits because, unlike natural selection dog breeders choose to manipulate breeding for aesthetic or behavioural reasons rather than survival.
    In order for a new species to emerge you would need to have two separate groups of animals between which there is no genetic transfer. So, for example, if you placed two groups of dogs on two separate remote islands where the possiblity of interacting each other was eliminated and then left them alone for a few hundred generations then when you came back you would likely have two new daughter species.
    There is no DNA limit as the author claims. What he's essentially saying is that you can walk 10 feet but you can't walk 10 miles because reasons. It is demonstrably false.

"New variations of the species are possible, but a new species has never been developed by science."

Again, wrong. We have observed the emergence of many new species. In fact, we've observed it so much that we've had to categorise the different modes of speciation: allopatric, parapatric, peripatric, sympatric. This image might help to explain:

Modes of speciation

The number of new species that we've observed keeps growing but here's a small list of species where we have found evidence for it:

A new species of mosquito on the London underground

Ring species

A new species of apple maggot fly diverging from parent species on North American hawthorns

"In fact, the most modern laboratories are unable to produce a left-hand protein as found in humans and animals."

This is a claim that is as strangely worded as it is laughably false. Firstly, how the claim should read is that the twenty amino acids used for life are all left-handed. Secondly, that's not wholly correct or an impediment to evolution.
    We've known for twenty years or so that some species of bacteria use right handed amino acids. We've also known, for even longer, that some of those amino acids don't actually have a handedness, like glycine.
    Moreover, we know from cosmology and from studying amino acids on meteorites that the tendency towards left-handedness didn't arise by chance but due to a circular polarisation of UV light in the early solar system.

"If natural selection were true, Eskimos would have fur to keep warm, but they don't. They are just as hairless as everyone else. If natural selection were true, humans in the tropics would have silver, reflective skin to help them keep cool, but they don't. They have black skin, just the opposite of what the theory of natural selection would predict.

If natural selection were true humans at northern latitudes would have black skin, but they have white skin instead, except the Eskimos who have skin that is halfway between white and black. The people from Russia and the Nordic countries have white skin, blood hair and blue eyes. This is the opposite of what one would predict if natural selection controlled skin color."

This is a classic example of what Ben Goldacre has described as: "I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that." The author of the article has got it into his head that skin colour just works like a black body effect and that the only relationship of significance is between skin colour, body temperature and climate. He is of course, dead wrong.
    The principal reason why you find lighter skinned people the further north you travel is that the annual amount of sunlight is less the further north you travel. Sunlight is important for a number of things, like making Vitamin D in your body, for example. Avoiding things like rickets is much more important to your survival than being a bit chilly in the long term. However, the reality is that there a number of biological factors which affect the development of something like skin colour.
    As for eskimos, the Inuit people are relatively modern transplants into the Arctic circle having only settled there around 1000CE. By contrast, the ancestors of the Scandinavian peoples the Ahrensburg culture had been living in the Arctic circle since 11000BCE. That's 12 millennia earlier! That I think goes a long way towards explaining some minor physiological differences.

Most of the rest of the author's introduction is filled with assertions and assumed conclusions offered without any supporting argument or evidence:

"His famous book, On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, has a title that is now known to be scientifically false. New species cannot evolve by natural selection."

"Life did not start with a bolt of lightning striking a pond of water as claimed by the main stream scientists.

Kids are taught that life can evolve given enough time. This is a false statement without any scientific support."

The article is very long but if there are any specific points that you would like to discuss, then like endacl, if you want I'll explain any point you like. In detail. With pictures. And small words.

Now as for your other "questions"
    I find it to be the absolute height of arrogant, ignorant, absolute nonsense for an educated person in the 21st century to think that of all the billions of stars in the billions of galaxies in the universe vast beyond our understanding and all life on earth, DNA, our brains and this universe's physics which all heavily point to intelligent design, that everything we know (including ourselves), created itself from an explosion that happened when nothing existed.

How can you explain intelligent design? In the beginning, there was nothing. Then an explosion happened. Stuff appeared. Life started to form. In fact, I can't understand why life would start itself. Why does life need to exist? I mentioned this before, I believe that the universe is inside a closed cardboard box (not literally). Something in this box causes an explosion and then a universe appears inside the box.

How does life get into the universe? More specifically, how does consciousness get into the universe? Even more specifically, how did I get into the universe? Why wasn't I left alone in eternal darkness while someone else was put into the universe? We're all individual, we all have our own individually unique consciousnesses. It's like waking up in a forest without any memory and saying "How did I get here?"

"In the beginning, there was nothing. Then an explosion happened. Stuff appeared."

Well, I've already answered this (not that you acnknowledged that post) but there was never nothing. The furthest back we can go is to a point just after the Big Bang. Before that we think that there was a singularity a point with zero size and inifinite energy density. So not nothing. There was never a point at which there was nothing at all. Check my last post for a more detailed explanation.
    BTW, to address one of your other points. Nobody here is advancing that God couldn't have done it. I and I'm sure a lot of other people here will freely admit that it's possible that God could have created the universe. It's just not very likely because no other evidence suggests that God is responsible. I am an agnostic atheist. I don't know if a God exists but I don't believe that there is one because there is no evidence to support it. You seem to think though that atheism is the positive belief that there are definitely no gods and that God couldn't possibly have started the universe. I doubt you'll find many people who actually hold that view.

"Life started to form. In fact, I can't understand why life would start itself. Why does life need to exist?"

Well, you're really asking two questions here. How did life start? Well, the short answer is we don't know. And it's not a case of we have no ideas at all, we do in fact have several well supported hypotheses. It's just that we don't have the ability to travel back in time to find out which hypothesis is correct. Imagine, for example, trying to figure out how someone was killed after they've already been cremated. You can formulate ideas and gather circumstantial evidence but you're never really going to know for sure. If you want to know the details of how life began I've posted on this topic in the creationism thread previously.
    Now as to why life began? That's really a philosophical question not a scientific one?

"I mentioned this before, I believe that the universe is inside a closed cardboard box (not literally). Something in this box causes an explosion and then a universe appears inside the box."

Well, no. While there are some models within M-theory which describe bubble universes (e.g. Alan Guth, Andrei Linde) none of them describe an actual physical boundary to the universe in the way you're thinking. It's better to think of the universe as a cloud of particles where the edge of the overall cloud is defined by the positions of particles within it. There's no actual container that our universe is inside. At least as far as anyone can tell.

"How does life get into the universe? "

Check out my linked post above.

"More specifically, how does consciousness get into the universe?"

I don't know. To be more specific, we don't really understand to a huge degree how consciousness emerges other than as an emergent property of our evolutionary journey. However, there is an important point to be made here.

Saying I don't know is important. Because it's honest. In most of your posts you have supported your reasons for believing in God by appealing to all the things about life and the universe that you don't understand and that you think nobody else does either. In logic terms, that's what we call an argument from ignorance. Just because you don't know the answer doesn't mean that you can assume God did it.

As Richard Feynman once said:

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting not to know than to have answers which might be wrong."

" Even more specifically, how did I get into the universe? "

Well that's a question for your parents really.

You came onto this thread asking about how atheists cope with life. My response is pretty similar to those already offered. Why would I be. Death doesn't scare me. Dying scares the crap out of me. Lot's of sickness and pain and sorrow. That sucks. Death doesn't. Death is just non-existence. Before I was born the universe was around for over 13 billion years and all that time I was in a state of non-existence. And it wasn't bad, pretty comfortable actually. So I figure it'll be just as comfortable for the next 13 billion years.

Note: Rob, feel free to move this to "that" thread if I've gone too far OT.

Note: OP, in case it got lost in the noise of my post, my offer, like endacl's stands. If there's any part of that godawful article you want explained in more detail (or anything else about cosmology, evolution or all the things that you think we don't understand) just ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Y'all are bonkers if you think our illustrious OP is going to spend more than ten seconds skimming these essays before regurgitating the same tired questions about life and death.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Note: Rob, feel free to move this to "that" thread if I've gone too far OT.
    Nah, it's probably best to let that particular sleeping dog lie :)

Y'all are bonkers if you think our illustrious OP is going to spend more than ten seconds skimming these essays before regurgitating the same tired questions about life and death.

Indeed, I fear you could be right. OP's loss if so, some damn fine writing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Intelligent design has been fairly thoroughly debunked, unless anyone's come up with something less retrodden than the eye and bacterial flagellum.

Samaris wrote: »
    Intelligent design has been fairly thoroughly debunked, unless anyone's come up with something less retrodden than the eye and bacterial flagellum.

The aqueduct?

Oh. Sorry. Intelligent design. I thought you meant the Romans... :o

The platypus? Crocoduck? Banana?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jim tully

Oldrnwisr, that was an excellent post and not only for people ill informed on the subject.

I am reading them all...

1. Something to note, I haven't been saying "only God could have done it". I've been putting forward questions that I believe warrant it worthwhile to once in a while say "You know what, maybe something intelligent could have something to do with life existing".

2. I have my proof of ghosts. You can find famous ghost photos that were taken before "photoshopping" existed on the internet. They will be more convincing than mine, as I could just photoshop a ghost into a photo and send it to you. I'm not trying to convince anyone. Whether you believe in them or not, I don't care. I only brought it up because I know that beings such as ghosts exist so why can't God? That's one of my reasons for believing. I'm not using this as an argument.

3. For the last time, I'm not saying my grandmother hasn't lived her life to the fullest. In fact, I specifically said the opposite of that. I am not discussing my grandmother, I'm saying that I don't understand how she keeps going, despite being convinced that when she dies, that's that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I

2. I have my proof of ghosts. You can find famous ghost photos that were taken before "photoshopping" existed on the internet. They will be more convincing than mine,

If you think people needed a computer to doctor photos then will all due respect you're very naive.

All sorts of stuff has been done to photos for decades before computers came about, some to make them look better such as whitening skin tone etc to introducing stuff into the photos.

My dad pulled large portraits from the 1900s from the attic a few years back and we spotted that whoever took them and framed them used charcoal on the photos to shade parts of the photo and make parts of the B&W photo a darker black. Thats only small stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

3. For the last time, I'm not saying my grandmother hasn't lived her life to the fullest. In fact, I specifically said the opposite of that. I am not discussing my grandmother, I'm saying that I don't understand how she keeps going, despite being convinced that when she dies, that's that.

Really easy to understand.

She knows she hasn't a magic get out of jail free card that is an afterlife, and so, wants to make the most of her time left.

2. I have my proof of ghosts. You can find famous ghost photos that were taken before "photoshopping" existed on the internet. They will be more convincing than mine, as I could just photoshop a ghost into a photo and send it to you. I'm not trying to convince anyone. Whether you believe in them or not, I don't care. I only brought it up because I know that beings such as ghosts exist so why can't God? That's one of my reasons for believing. I'm not using this as an argument.

Massive claims require massive evidence. If you are going to make an incredible claim that ghosts exist then you damn well better produce significantly more evidence than some dubious photographs. It is far far more likely that the object that you are identifying as a ghost is something that is in fact not a ghost. I'm finding it hard to imagine how naive and lacking in rudimentary critical thinking a person must be to believe in ghosts based on photographs. I'm not trying to be insulting OP and I don't mean to be patronising when I say that you really should read some science books on the topic. You seem to be looking for answers which is a great start but you should really take on board everything people on this forum have said as they echo some of the great scientific writers.

I can recommend a lot of videos and books on the subject which are very interesting and challenging should you wish

Jim tully wrote: »
    Massive claims require massive evidence.

Nope, that claim is not correct. Ordinary evidence is just fine.

Nope, that claim is not correct. Ordinary evidence is just fine.

I don't want to be pedantic but I think any evidence that can substantiate the existence of a ghost would be massive evidence. Yes, ordinary evidence is fine as long as we're not referring to photographic evidence which is not evidence at all.

Jim tully wrote: »
    I don't want to be pedantic but I think any evidence that can substantiate the existence of a ghost would be massive evidence. Yes, ordinary evidence is fine as long as we're not referring to photographic evidence which is not evidence at all.

No your claim is incorrect and unscientific. Just plain old ordinary scientific evidence is quite sufficient to prove anything, but none had been presented to date.

Photographic proof of fairies. Pre-photoshop. There are fairies. Because there's a photo. Deffo.

Cottingley_Fairies_1.jpg

• Advertisement

No your claim is incorrect and unscientific. Just plain old ordinary scientific evidence is quite sufficient to prove anything, but none had been presented to date.

Ok. I think we are getting caught up on the meaning of words here. Massive, not describing the evidence itself but rather the implication of the evidence. You're pontificating about it being incorrect and unscientific when its actually a quote from Prof. Dicky Dawkins himself ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I am reading them all...

1. Something to note, I haven't been saying "only God could have done it". I've been putting forward questions that I believe warrant it worthwhile to once in a while say "You know what, maybe something intelligent could have something to do with life existing".
    Does the fact that you can't explain how God actually did all the things you think he did not make you question whether he exists?
    Even when you think that such an inability to answer such questions should make us question our atheism?

Does the fact that all of your questions have actually been addressed pretty completely not make you wonder?

If not, you must be pretty confident in your belief without a whole bunch to support it. Arrogant you might say...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_exposure
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_photography
    Spirit photography was first used by William H. Mumler in the 1860s. Mumler discovered the technique by accident, after he discovered a second person in a photograph he took of himself, which he found was actually a double exposure. Seeing there was a market for it, Mumler started working as a medium, taking people's pictures and doctoring the negatives to add lost loved ones into them (mostly using other photographs as basis). Mumler's fraud was discovered after he put identifiable living Boston residents in the photos as spirits.
    You don't need photoshop.

You'd think that with cameras becoming more and more common as to be in everyone's pockets all the time, and the fact that they are all much higher resolution, better at focusing and eliminating artefacts in the image, we'd be seeing more and more, better and better ghost photographs...

Has she or hasn't she?

It's not that hard a question, is it?

Any chance of an answer to this?

The OP did indicate that in his opinion his grandmother didn't live a full life, and then backpedalled to suggest that she might have - though not to state that she did.

Which is it? Did she? Or didn't she?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Something to note, I haven't been saying "only God could have done it". I've been putting forward questions that I believe warrant it worthwhile to once in a while say "You know what, maybe something intelligent could have something to do with life existing".

Ive only been dipping in to this thread but you started off asking basically how people lived without belief in the specific Abrahamic God, moral code and afterlife aspects of religion. If all you are really doing is suggesting that an unspecified God might exist and/or have created the universe (intentionally or otherwise / solely or in conjunction with others / etc) then you are finally in a position to answer the question you posed in the OP as you do not believe 100% in the specific God of the Christian bible and so are just as uncertain as to the origins and meaning of life as the rest of us.

Want a cup of tea?

I am reading them all...

Cool. This might be an opportune moment to recall the words of Master Kong: "He who studies but does not think is lost. He who thinks but does not study is in great danger".

Yes, you've been firing out questions to beat the band. Some of them are good questions, too. Master Kong again: "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life".

However, and if I may be so bold, you don't seem to be terribly interested in engaging with the answers you've been receiving. Which is a pity, as some of the answers to your questions have been quite good. You should explore them further. Another one-liner from that old Chinese guy: “It is not the failure of others to appreciate your abilities that should trouble you, but rather your failure to appreciate theirs.”

Well, here's the thing. You ARE using it as an argument. You're proposing the existence of ghosts as a kind of implied argument for the existence of God. I find your views here puzzling: if you do indeed believe in ghosts, and you're satisfied with the evidence you have, that would certainly suggest an afterlife; so from where comes your angst?

• Advertisement

The person best placed to answer that would be the woman herself, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I believe warrant it worthwhile to once in a while say "You know what, maybe something intelligent could have something to do with life existing".

Of course it COULD. But "could" gets you nowhere. I doubt you will find many people at all on this forum who doubt that it COULD be so. But the current Irish President COULD have killed OJ Simpsons wife. Despite this "could" it is clearly still a nonsense and entirely unsubstantiated proposition.

So I, along with most if not all of the posters here, realize it COULD be a god that explains all your questions. But acknowledging that "could" does not for one moment lend credence to the claim, or change the simple inconvenient for you fact that at this time the proposition is not just slightly, but entirely, devoid of even a modicum of substantiation of any type. Least of all from you.
    2. I have my proof of ghosts. You can find famous ghost photos that were taken before "photoshopping" existed on the internet.

Ah the old "I have proof but I will not be showing you" canard. We get that a lot around here. The words differ but the narrative does not. It is always a claim to have loads of evidence, followed almost in the same breath with a declaration that, or an excuse for, the user not actually giving or showing it.

And no, photoshop is not required to produce such images. So the "These photos exist from before photoshop" says precisely and exactly _nothing_.
    I'm saying that I don't understand how she keeps going, despite being convinced that when she dies, that's that.

Because, as was said before in one of the posts you appear to have glossed over, for many people the Destination is all important.... that would be you..... but for many people they realize the journey IS the destination.... which is your grandmother.

It really is that simple, and not nearly as hard to understand as you are making it out to be.

"You know what, maybe something intelligent could have something to do with life existing".
    It "could" also be the Flying Spaghetti Monster, so I wouldn't get your hope up too high using the "could" argument as evidence that your specific deity or deities exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

robindch wrote: »
    Now, there's a surprise :)

I dunno. I'm sensing sub-bridge dweller at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I respect that you don't believe in God but I don't understand how you can cope with life believing that when you die, that's it.
    What I can't understand is how you'd be happy being yourself.

For all eternity.

On a cloud.

Now *that*, would drive me insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thargor wrote: »

"What's the hassle in making a change to world maps and the currency in NI and the police force there?"

lol

I think he's genuinely, just prone to simplistic thinking. And probably, like, 16.

"What's the hassle in making a change to world maps and the currency in NI and the police force there?"

lol

I think he's genuinely, just prone to simplistic thinking. And probably, like, 16.

Have you caught his 'can I get a firearms license to shoot burglars? No? OK. Well, can I just beat them up, so?" thread?

endacl wrote: »
    Have you caught his 'can I get a firearms license to shoot burglars? No? OK. Well, can I just beat them up, so?" thread?

Well, he's just more full of questions than a martlebury is full of mizzensails, isn't he?

• Advertisement
Advertisement