Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autistic son starting school soon.

Options
  • 22-08-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I'm very new to all this. I'm sort of familiar with boards but I haven't been on the site in years.

My 5 year old son is starting school in September. He's definitely on the autistic spectrum. We're still waiting for a diagnosis.
    We first (properly) suspected autism about a year ago when we were trying to get him into a playschool and they didn't want to take him because of how he behaved and they said we should get him checked out. It was awful. Tbh he wasn't actually badly behaved at all but he was easily distracted. He absolutely loved the playschool and was confused that he couldn't go there. I tried to make up an excuse but he was devastated.

Since then I've heard that they weren't allowed to reject him like that? Is that true?
    I couldn't get him into a playschool after that at all because there were no places.

I brought him back to the public health nurse after that incident and the only time he's been seen by anybody about the possible autism was February and that was in Tallaght Hospital. They said they were 90% sure he was autistic. It's obvious to us at this stage anyway.
    We were told we'd have a diagnosis by May since then but we've heard nothing! We were told he'd need appointments with a speech therapist also but again we've had nothing!
    I've contacted them several times over the phone and email and I'm getting nothing back. Well really all I'm getting is "we're still looking into it and he'll have a diagnosis ASAP".

He's due to start school in September and I am absolutely dreading it. We've met with the principal twice over the summer and they've made it clear they don't want to take him but they've got no choice.

He badly needs an SNA but obviously at the moment we can't get anything for him because he's not diagnosed. All I know is that he's on a reduced day (I'll be picking him up before 11) and that other than that to expect a call at anytime asking me to pick him up if they can't cope with him! They're making me feel like my child is a massive burden. There are no schools equipped to deal with this in my area. They keep hinting that I should send him to another school but this is too far to travel and, as with a lot of other families. money is very tight at the moment.
    I also have a 2 year old (not autistic) who is absolutely raging that she's not in school this year. :P I don't know what's going to be worse lol.

According to the school they only have one other child with ASD and he's finding it extremely difficult.
    We were also told getting an SNA is very hard and that we've a long fight ahead of us. Fair enough I guess.

I'm kicking myself. I suspected something was up when he was just a baby but family and friends assured me that it was normal toddler behaviour and that I had nothing to worry about. I was SO very wrong!

He's a very intelligent child. His memory is unbelievable. He's not violent or destructive at all. He's very he's very passive and sensitive. He talks out of context a lot when he's upset, goes on these nonsensical rants and when he's really upset he shouts and sometimes screams. That's the worst of it.

Only me and his father 'get' him and what he means. It's very hard to explain to other people but I'm sure other people out there know what I mean. :P

He's looking forward to school. I'm heartbroken and terrified that he'll be bullied or singled out. I can't help feeling furious when I think about it all.
    I know there's be plenty of other people in my position. How do you deal with it?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi OP,
    Sorry this is a bit late. Have you sent off the forms for an Assessment of Needs? Your PHN should have got you to sign them and sent them off for you?

If you have the funds you could get a private diagnosis, there are a few Doctors out there that though this. Professor Fitzgerald, who runs a clinic in Blanchardstown charges €350 and you'll have the diagnosis within the week, you can get a discount if you join the DCA Warriors facebook page.

Unfortunately waiting lists in this country for speech and language therapy are very very long, we've waited 2 years for our daughter and even then they could only offer her one block before being sent back into the referral system too. Same with occupational therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Hi OP

I am shocked after reading this. I hope your son is getting on okay..

Like January said have you gotten anything from PHN about assessment of needs.

Schools send their paperwork for SNAs, resource hours etc in February if memory serves me. So I think I would kick up a fuss with everyone now so that the principle has that report for next Feb so that your son can get resource hours next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

mohawk wrote: »
    Hi OP

I am shocked after reading this. I hope your son is getting on okay..

Like January said have you gotten anything from PHN about assessment of needs.

Schools send their paperwork for SNAs, resource hours etc in February if memory serves me. So I think I would kick up a fuss with everyone now so that the principle has that report for next Feb so that your son can get resource hours next year.

Resource hours and SNA's usually need to be applied for in the March before they are needed but there is provision to apply for them in September too (I guess for people who are starting Junior Infants or just getting diagnosis etc) so if you get it done soon enough your son should have a SNA asap.

Advertisement