Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting links in an ad?

Options
  • 22-08-2015 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I have an ad running on donedeal (and adverts.ie) at the moment for an item I want to sell. It's been up for approx 3 weeks. It's a used item, 10 years old. I'm a private seller, it's a one off item that I no longer need.
    Today I got a call from the company that distributes the item here in Ireland telling me I have to remove the link to their website that describes the item in detail including the current retail price.
    My ad on donedeal gives the following:
    * The make and model.
    * Photos of the item.
    * A web link to the main seller in Ireland so that prospective buyers can check out the current model and see all dimensions and current prices.
    * The approx cost of the item new in Ireland to the nearest €5.
    * A good description of the item and it's uses.
    * Praise of the item and it's high quality, (obviously as I want to sell the thing).
    * My price and delivery or collection details.
    * My contact details.

From my little research and knowledge they cannot do this as there has not been trademark nor copyright infringement on the ad.
    Poor form in fairness and lost advertising for them as I believe several people contacted them regarding the newer model.

Anyone here got any advice or thoughts on this?

I don't want to mention the company involved since they spat their dummy out of the pram once already!

Just a passenger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tell them to sod off. If they continue harassing you, go to the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Clearly they're not a very intelligent bunch. Tell them to get f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Thank for the replies. Have they any legal standing?

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I don't see how they have any legal standing. You're an individual selling an old item of yours. They would have legal standing if you were distributing the item and they had an exclusive deal, though legally that would be a civil case between them and the other seller.

As it stands, I wouldn't even reply to them. If they ring you again tell them you'll report it to the Gardai for harassment if they call you again.

Advertisement