Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ridley Scott Film "The Martian" - Real Tech from the Movie

Options
  • 22-08-2015 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Here's a clip, as per usual with clips nowadays, they ruin the film, maybe don't watch past 50seconds....or whatever.

On October 2, movie audiences will get to see Ridley Scott's adaptation of Andy Weir's brilliant sci-fi novel The Martian, about a near-future astronaut who gets left for dead on the planet Mars. (Official trailer.) Both book and film are rooted in actual science, and NASA has now posted a list of technologies featured in the movie that either already exist, or are in development. For example, the Mars rover: "On Earth today, NASA is working to prepare for every encounter with the Multi-Mission Space Exploration Vehicle (MMSEV). The MMSEV has been used in NASA's analog mission projects to help solve problems that the agency is aware of and to reveal some that may be hidden. The technologies are developed to be versatile enough to support missions to an asteroid, Mars, its moons and other missions in the future." They also show off their efforts to develop water reclamation, gardens in space, and oxygen recovery.

^^^Linky

Nine Real NASA Technologies in 'The Martian'

Q&A with folk involved.

Why 'The Martian' is NASA's best marketing event in years

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Really enjoyed reading the book. It was very well thought out and accurate. Hope the film does it justice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I've read the book and enjoyed it. But I can't see how it would translate to film. The story was almost completely concerned with planning, calculations, science, etc. And since for most of the story the main character was alone, almost everything (outside of a few key scenes) took place in his head. So I hope we don't wind up with 90 mins of Matt Damon talking aloud to himself.

But I suppose I could have said similar about Interstellar, so I'm still hopeful...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

There probably will be a lot of Matt Damon talking to himself, but I think he has the charisma to pull it off. And the decision to make the narrative akin to video blogs will work much better on screen than the keyboard-written log entries of the book.

Judging by the size and calibre of the supporting cast, I'd say the proportion of Mars footage vs the rest will be around 50:50, whereas the book was probably 80% set on Mars.

Almost universally positive reviews so far following the movie's launch at the Toronto International Film Festival:
    Rotten Tomatoes
    IMDB/Metacritic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Advertisement

Finally saw this on the weekend and really enjoyed it. My younger kids found it a bit over-long and talky, but I guess it wasn't intended for that audience.

They managed to translate most of what's in the book without going to the nth degree of detail that that covered.

Despite a couple of fairly major sequences omitted, it stuck pretty close to the story.
    The dust storm that hampers Watney's long rover journey and also the rover rolling when he finally reaches the crater were both left out, for timing reasons, I guess. They had already covered a lot of setbacks he'd had to overcome and wanted to get to the exciting rescue in space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Advertisement