Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iSight Camera Replacement Program for iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Am I right in saying that if my serial no. is apart of the affected batch that it does not necessarily mean the camera is faulty? I don't want to be looking for a problem that isn't there! I mean the people who have been affected by the issue on here is it happening very often on the pictures you take or just occasionally and are your videos also affected?
    UPS are collecting mine tomorrow for repair and my camera is perfect at the min, would rather get it out of the way now rather than (possibly) waiting for a problem to appear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Quick question, but how do you know if you got a refurbished or new model?

My iPhone was replaced and new phone is improvement on my phone, as it had a couple of scratches on the screen. Cannot fault the express replacement service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

FWIW, I have an iPhone 6 (not plus) and I noticed a small crescent showing beside the camera. This is the same issue that has caused the plus recall. A quick call with Apple and they are sending an express replacement (costing me the €29 though). I explained that even though it was just cosmetic, I waned it fixed while it was still under warranty as it would probably get worse. No argument from the rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

stimpson wrote: »
    FWIW, I have an iPhone 6 (not plus) and I noticed a small crescent showing beside the camera. This is the same issue that has caused the plus recall. A quick call with Apple and they are sending an express replacement (costing me the €29 though). I explained that even though it was just cosmetic, I waned it fixed while it was still under warranty as it would probably get worse. No argument from the rep.

Is it the front camera? If so its well known on some 6 models, particularly silver I think.

I got confirmation this afternoon that my phone arrived with apple from ups through their tracking, is there any way to get an update on the status of the repair from apple?

• Advertisement

Simply Red wrote: »
    I got confirmation this afternoon that my phone arrived with apple from ups through their tracking, is there any way to get an update on the status of the repair from apple?

You should have a mail with the subject line "We got your repair request". There should be a Track your status link in it.

I got my express replacement 6 about an hour ago and the model no shows it as being brand new (manufactured in August). Just restoring my apps now...

You should have a mail with the subject line "We got your repair request". There should be a Track your status link in it.

I got my express replacement 6 about an hour ago and the model no shows it as being brand new (manufactured in August). Just restoring my apps now...
    Perfect, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

How does their "express replacement" in this instance work?

Also, is express replacement offered in all cases or how do I get same? They are ringing me back tomorrow morning.

They send you a new or refurb iPhone. You send them back your faulty one.

They send you a new or refurb iPhone. You send them back your faulty one.

Also, is express replacement offered in all cases or do I have to send the phone back before receiving the replacement?

• Advertisement

I believe that for the recall you can avail of Express Replacement for free.

Mine wasn't covered by the recall so I had to pay €29. Still worth it to get a brand new phone. I think if you pushed it they might waive the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Also, is express replacement offered in all cases or how do I get same? They are ringing me back tomorrow morning.

Do you have AppleCare+?

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Do you have AppleCare+?

No, got the phone as an upgrade through Vodafone. I didn't purchase Apple Care+.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

If you send off your phone as part of this, do you get a new or refurb phone, or do they just repair the camera on your phone and send the same one back? And does having AppleCare make any difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

rwald7 wrote: »
    If you send off your phone as part of this, do you get a new or refurb phone, or do they just repair the camera on your phone and send the same one back? And does having AppleCare make any difference?

Having AppleCare means the express replacement is free.

If you send the phone off its most likely that they are replacing the component with the issue. (Rear facing camera).

Arranged it just there. I needed to ask about the express replacement and it wasn't a problem getting it. €29 and they will also place a hold on your credit card for the amount of a new phone in case you don't send it back. New phone should be here on Tuesday and a box to send this one back. You need to send it back within 2 weeks.

Very efficient service I must say.

PS Is it a new phone they send you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Arranged it just there. I needed to ask about the express replacement and it wasn't a problem getting it. €29 and they will also place a hold on your credit card for the amount of a new phone in case you don't send it back. New phone should be here on Tuesday and a box to send this one back. You need to send it back within 2 weeks.

Very efficient service I must say.

PS Is it a new phone they send you?

It will be refurbished but new battery, new internal, screen etc so basically new, you can't tell the diff.

My phone is eligible for replace too but will wait till 9th to see what 6+S is like, if i am upgrading then no point replacing.

zeromedic wrote: »
    Generally you get a refurbished unit by express replacement. I had war with Apple until I insisted on speaking to a senior advisor at the Irish call centre. Poor guy got an earful!! (Sorry Jonathan). UPS arrived less then 24 hours latter. I had an earlier issue with phone restarting for no reason, plus this, I insisted on an New unit. America said no it was at there discretion. Jonathan eventually after I stopped ranting arranged a new unit plus a gratuity for being a loyal customer which he couldn't discuss until my phone had arrived and the case was settled. Wonder what that will be. A upgrade after Sept 9th in my dreams!!!

As a matter of interest what letter and number does the serial number on your new phone start with as I want to see if mine is new also?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

Did you have to specifically ask for the express replacement? I did an online chat about this last night, and the agent just talked about sending my phone off to Apple and then having to wait 5-7 days to get it back. I also have AppleCare on it, and the agent said 'it won't be necessary to use AppleCare for this'.

Should I be pushing for an express replacement?

rwald7 wrote: »
    Did you have to specifically ask for the express replacement? I did an online chat about this last night, and the agent just talked about sending my phone off to Apple and then having to wait 5-7 days to get it back. I also have AppleCare on it, and the agent said 'it won't be necessary to use AppleCare for this'.

Should I be pushing for an express replacement?

I didn't have Applecare. Not sure if you need Applecare + for free express replacement. I asked about it and its €29 to cover the courier cost they say.

• Advertisement

Just another thing - I got my phone through Vodafone, so I'm wondering will my replacement phone that Apple are sending me be locked to Vodafone also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Just another thing - I got my phone through Vodafone, so I'm wondering will my replacement phone that Apple are sending me be locked to Vodafone also?

It will be. The new phone will have whatever network lock status the old one had.

If you have insurance make sure you notify Vodafone.

guil wrote: »
    If you have insurance make sure you notify Vodafone.

Is that to do with the model no./serial no. change on account of it being a replacement model?

Is that to do with the model no./serial no. change on account of it being a replacement model?

Model number should stay the same but it's the change in imei that will be a problem if you go to claim. Apple will supply a letter with the details of the replacement if you ask so you just have to show that to Vodafone and get them to update their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mac81

I was able to get the express replacement also. It took a bit of time for them to give it to me one phone didn't work and then a web chat which didn't work at first, but they finally gave it to me. They gave me this link support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=ireland&product=iphone. So if there are not willing to do express replacement give them the link. My replacement iPhone is on the way already.

Sent back my original iPhone and the repair status is "original product received". Is that it now as I received the replacement already?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭zeromedic

Thats it.

zeromedic wrote: »
    Thats it.

Grand, I meant will the status change to "complete "?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭zeromedic

It should do. Either way you have your replacement phone. New or a recon?

Advertisement