Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iSight Camera Replacement Program for iPhone 6 Plus

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

zeromedic wrote: »
    It should do. Either way you have your replacement phone. New or a recon?

Recon - in a brown box. Works fine. Manufactured in August based on the serial no. check. Serial no. starts with F9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I keyed in my serial number from the OP's link and found I was eligible. I got them to call me back (remarkably quick) and she wanted me to post it back and do a repair. I said I didn't want to be without my phone for 7-10 business days so she spoke to a supervisor and offered me the express service. Didn't know it would cost €29 and I don't recall her mentioning it but I don't really mind.
    I had to get a replacement before and one thing to keep in mind is that there might be a problem if you go to unlock your phone with your provider as they'll only have the IMEI from the phone they gave you. I'd advise you keep a record of the IMEI if you're sending a phone back for replacement. It'll come in handy when you're trying to get the replacement unlocked at a later date. I actually assumed the replacement would come unlocked, but the last one didn't and it took a bit of messing about with Apple and my provider to get it unlocked when I was selling it. Having the original IMEI would have come in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If they didn't ask for a credit card then you shouldn't be billed for the replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

stimpson wrote: »
    If they didn't ask for a credit card then you shouldn't be billed for the replacement.
    Probably just use the card on the account.

I had to pay for mine with a card (not the iSight camera issue) despite having a card on my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

jakdublin wrote: »
    I keyed in my serial number from the OP's link and found I was eligible. I got them to call me back (remarkably quick) and she wanted me to post it back and do a repair. I said I didn't want to be without my phone for 7-10 business days so she spoke to a supervisor and offered me the express service. Didn't know it would cost €29 and I don't recall her mentioning it but I don't really mind.
    I had to get a replacement before and one thing to keep in mind is that there might be a problem if you go to unlock your phone with your provider as they'll only have the IMEI from the phone they gave you. I'd advise you keep a record of the IMEI if you're sending a phone back for replacement. It'll come in handy when you're trying to get the replacement unlocked at a later date. I actually assumed the replacement would come unlocked, but the last one didn't and it took a bit of messing about with Apple and my provider to get it unlocked when I was selling it. Having the original IMEI would have come in handy.
    Just ask them for proof of replacement. Whether you have the old imei or not wont make a difference.

guil wrote: »
    Just ask them for proof of replacement. Whether you have the old imei or not wont make a difference.

It does when you go to unlock the phone. The replacement phone won't be registered with the provider so they won't unlock it. There's hoops to jump through, but you'll need the old IMEI.

Happened to me a couple of months ago. Provider wouldn't unlock the replacement because they had no record of the phone and they sent me to Apple. I got the old IMEI from Apple and the advisor said rather than try explain the situation to the provider, just give them the old IMEI and request the unlock. Apple have the old IMEI tied to the replacement as well as the new IMEI so when the request to unlock gets through to them, they'll know to unlock the replacement. Don't know how it all works technically, but that's what happened to me.

stimpson wrote: »

They'll always ask for a credit card when sending out a replacement because they put a hold on it to the value of a new phone until they get your faulty one through the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It does when you go to unlock the phone. The replacement phone won't be registered with the provider so they won't unlock it. There's hoops to jump through, but you'll need the old IMEI.

Happened to me a couple of months ago. Provider wouldn't unlock the replacement because they had no record of the phone and they sent me to Apple. I got the old IMEI from Apple and the advisor said rather than try explain the situation to the provider, just give them the old IMEI and request the unlock. Apple have the old IMEI tied to the replacement as well as the new IMEI so when the request to unlock gets through to them, they'll know to unlock the replacement. Don't know how it all works technically, but that's what happened to me.
    That's interesting regarding Apple applying the unlock but what happens when that phone is refurbed? They hardly give it a new imei each time?

The network should have the imei on file anyway, how else could they block the phone if you reported it stolen etc. Last time I got one replaced by Apple I got a confirmation letter and brought it into eMobile. I would rather do this for two reasons, if the phone is lost or stolen they can't block it and if you have insurance It is worthless if they still have the old imei registered.

They'll always ask for a credit card when sending out a replacement because they put a hold on it to the value of a new phone until they get your faulty one through the post.

Doh. Of course. They did make a point of telling me I would be charged for €29 for the service.

• Advertisement

With Vodafone you can update the IMEI via your online account. Was it them you had the issue with?

guil wrote: »
    That's interesting regarding Apple applying the unlock but what happens when that phone is refurbed? They hardly give it a new imei each time?

The network should have the imei on file anyway, how else could they block the phone if you reported it stolen etc. Last time I got one replaced by Apple I got a confirmation letter and brought it into eMobile. I would rather do this for two reasons, if the phone is lost or stolen they can't block it and if you have insurance It is worthless if they still have the old imei registered.
    With Vodafone you can update the IMEI via your online account. Was it them you had the issue with?

I was/am with 3/O2. Can't answer the questions this raises really. The Vodafone solution would have helped. Maybe when I get this replacement I'll get in touch with 3 and get them to update my details.

Ffs just noticed I now have it again on my replacement phone.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Ffs just noticed I now have it again on my replacement phone.

No way? Blurry pictures and is the picture bad when recording a video? When was the phone manufactured you can check online using the serial no.

No way? Blurry pictures and is the picture bad when recording a video? When was the phone manufactured you can check online using the serial no.
    ah just seen i posted this in the wrong thread should be in the Front Camera Crescent thread

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

I just setup express replacement for mine, does Apple will inform me when they recive my iPhone and when they "unblock" my money?

Advertisement