Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Calendar for Ireland?

Options
  • 22-08-2015 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Gardeners and Farmers have their yearly calendars of things that need to be done or are better done at particular times of year so I wonder if we can create something similar that is survival related? Perhaps there are Hunting and Fishing items that also need including - reminders of yearly online/shop sales even?

I think it could be divided up into two parts, one a 12 month calendar the other a list of items that need doing on a periodic bases but aren't date related.

Some examples to start it off, please don't just copy and paste great dollops of googled data, try and post from your own experience.

Calendar:

February - Parsnips - Plant when ground conditions permit.
    March - Potato planting - St Patricks day traditional (and often the best) day for planting potatoes.
    November - Broadbean sow "The Sutton" for an early crop

Periodic:

Every month
    Check and recharge rechargeable batteries and items that include them.

Every 6 months
    Check stores and first aid kits for items that are nearing best before dates.
    Check and repack BOB's - including first aid kit items, batteries and any rations.
    Check BBD's on any stored batteries

I know not everyone will agree on dates or how often jobs need doing but just having an item on the list might be a timely reminder for someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Aug to Dec source firewood for burning 15 months hence.

Dec to June cut split and stack firewood. Prepare kindling into drums.

June to Aug look for fuel deals, oil, coal, Briquettes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In the past (but in the UK with different weather conditions) I would have chopped firewood mainly in Jan and Feb when the ground was frozen. An hours splitting firewood would at least warm me up on a cold morning.

December would have been the month when the main vegetable garden (1/2 acre) was dug buy hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

my3cents wrote: »
    In the past (but in the UK with different weather conditions) I would have chopped firewood mainly in Jan and Feb when the ground was frozen. An hours splitting firewood would at least warm me up on a cold morning.

December would have been the month when the main vegetable garden (1/2 acre) was dug buy hand.

where in uk did u live out of interest?

where in uk did u live out of interest?

I worked for 10 years as head gardener on a 100 acre estate near Guildford in Surrey. You'd think it would be a warmer area than it actually is.

I worked for 10 years as head gardener on a 100 acre estate near Guildford in Surrey. You'd think it would be a warmer area than it actually is.

it can get cold there alright. even tho close enough to london. it gets proper cold in manchester

• Advertisement

it can get cold there alright. even tho close enough to london. it gets proper cold in manchester

I lived a good few years in Bradford - eeeey in back to back lad - cold don't talk to me about cold, you could pick 15ft long icicles off the gutters in winter (true can remember 2 winters with massive icicles on the gutters even if it was only for a few days).

But my point about an Irish Calendar is that you need to experience the difference in the UK to realise what a non descript weather we tend to get here in comparison. We get bad weather alright but the hots aren't as hot and the cold isn't as cold.

I lived a good few years in Bradford - eeeey in back to back lad - cold don't talk to me about cold, you could pick 15ft long icicles off the gutters in winter (true can remember 2 winters with massive icicles on the gutters even if it was only for a few days).

But my point about an Irish Calendar is that you need to experience the difference in the UK to realise what a non descript weather we tend to get here in comparison. We get bad weather alright but the hots aren't as hot and the cold isn't as cold.

john seymours book has a calender in it.

Another example thats open for debate, when do you switch off outside taps and make sure any outside water pipes are protected against frost? Down in Waterford I find that the last week in October is a good time to turn off outside taps and drain them down as the first really bad frosts we get are normally in November. Then last week in April is when they go back on again.

I know a lot of people will get away with leaving the taps on but we have a static caravan with pipes underneath it which freeze and burst if I do nothing.

Another example thats open for debate, when do you switch off outside taps and make sure any outside water pipes are protected against frost? Down in Waterford I find that the last week in October is a good time to turn off outside taps and drain them down as the first really bad frosts we get are normally in November. Then last week in April is when they go back on again.

I know a lot of people will get away with leaving the taps on but we have a static caravan with pipes underneath it which freeze and burst if I do nothing.
    we have stables with water drinkers in them. They were a nightmare in 2010

Advertisement