Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auckland for a family

Options
  • 22-08-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

i currently live outside Hamilton with my wife and 4 kids. To put it mildly I am not impressed with NZ so far but we are getting used to it now after almost three years here. We have a very safe, quiet life, the kids like it, we live close to work and schools, no traffic. Life is easy but pretty boring.
    I have been offered a job in Auckland with better money but this would probably be eaten up by the increase in rent. Can anyone recommend living in Auckland for what it might offer us that the Waikato can not or would people advise not moving into the stressful city life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where in Ireland did you come from? And what are you unimpressed about NZ?

Outside cow-town can indeed be deadly dull. But it can also be compensated for by closeness to recreational activities, slow pace of life etc.

It's hard to say whether you'll like Auckland better, without knowing what you don't like about the current place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

It is more the stress of living in Auckland I am concerned about not what is on offer there. We were thinking about living in buck lands beach and I get the ferry to work every morning. Has anybody any experience of this commute or similar? Does it make for a long day?
    I have also been offered a job in Tauranga, would anyone recommend this over Auckland?
    Life in the Waikato is dull and boring, I want to live by the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

If the finances are equal, go to tauranga - there's a reason why lots of kiwis holiday in tauranga, but the same can't be said for Auckland.

Bucklands Beach is a nice area (I've got a brother in Half Moon Bay and another in Botany Downs), and yes the ferry is a good option (not in winter though!) but the traffic will drive you demented. Surprised you are not enjoying Hamilton - have you made many friends? How old are the kids? It would be my OHs first choice to live in NZ apart from my mother living there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Hamilton is just one of those places which is great for getting to places but nothing there itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Did you make the move yet? I just spent a day on business in Auckland and drove from the airport to north shore and back then through a few suburbs to visit various people, spent nearly the whole day not getting above 2nd gear in my rental car except when i got back down south of the city. It really made me realize how good commuting life is in Wellington. Sure you get snarled around rush hour in a few spots but it moves well enough usually. The traffic in Auckland was horrendous, ALL DAY, not just during rush hour. So commuting by ferry would seem way more attractive! There sure are nice shops and suburbs, great housing, lots more flat land etc and some very nice schools, but I don't think after that experience I could live or do business there.

Tauranga on the other hand is a very nice place to live i'm sure, especially if you have a decent job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement