Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭paska

Can you use this card to hire a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,166 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

paska wrote: »

I would doubt it unless you had it preloaded with a grand or so that they can put a freeze on.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You'd need to deal with a company that accepts debit cards such as Indigo Car Hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

I have successfully used revolut to pay for car hire, however I did need to use a "regular" credit card to secure the booking and the excess. When returning the car I requested to pay with a different card than presented when collecting the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I used the card to top up with 100 sterling on Amazon last week, I had Amazon currency converter turned on so it took it out in euro.

Since then I turned Amazon currency converter off and I've tried to top up by 5 sterling, I have 7 sterling in the account but I have tried 5 times and it keeps getting declined, anyone experience an issue like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I used the card to top up with 100 sterling on Amazon last week, I had Amazon currency converter turned on so it took it out in euro.

Since then I turned Amazon currency converter off and I've tried to top up by 5 sterling, I have 7 sterling in the account but I have tried 5 times and it keeps getting declined, anyone experience an issue like this?

Isn't the minimum top 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Isn't the minimum top 10?

On Amazon or the card? Amazon definitely tries to take the 5 quid but it gets rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just noticed section verification & limits -it gives you total topped up so far aprox. €2,000 In my case and my limit is €30,000 a year. It says if a big spender and if getting close to my limit I should verify source of funds.

I already verified my identity. Anybody know more about this verify source of funds? I didn't even click on it in case they block my account or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you spend a lot of money Revolut needs to understand where you get the funds from as part of the Anti Money Laundering Legislations.

They will ask you to provide proof of funds like bank statements, incoming statement, tax returns etc. until the point that they are satisfied that you have gotten the funds legally and they can't get into trouble when they process your funds.

That is the same as any bank should do if you get unusual amounts of money.

Would they let you do €30,000? I suppose the answer is a case by case basis. They might let me go to €29,500 -somebody else might get stopped at €27,0000.

Am I right at all on this? The legislation is obviously English law which I would imagine is not as strict as Rep of Ireland?

• Advertisement

The 30000£ (or equivalent) you state is the maximum they allow you to spend on the card a year, not the trigger point for proof of funds. Remember they have limits of £5000 you can spend per 96 hours.

The trigger point for proof of funds is depending on a variety of factors, from top up method over where you spend your money.

You might get a request if you top up 1000€ after you only usually top up 20€ or you might get a request if you top 10000€ or if you spend too much for their comfort gambling, it's down to their compliance department not fixed amounts.

Also please remember that your money in Revolut is not insured in case revolut or paysafe goes bust.

And it's not clear how much fraud cover they actually provide in case of compromised card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Would they let you do €30,000? I suppose the answer is a case by case basis. They might let me go to €29,500 -somebody else might get stopped at €27,0000.

Am I right at all on this? The legislation is obviously English law which I would imagine is not as strict as Rep of Ireland?

There is anti-money laundering legislation in Ireland as well, introduced as part of a EU wide directive so it will probably be as strict for Irish customer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The legislation is obviously English law which I would imagine is not as strict as Rep of Ireland?

Why would you imagine that?

If it says €30k, they'll let you go to €30k. I think this is their default standard. Think any individual top up of £10k or more also requires a verification of funds.

It states a euro limit of €30,000 rather than £ Sterling. I've noticed on the ios app it is starting to push security messages like 'have you enabled location based security' -not exact wording when you open the app.

Why would you imagine that?

If it says €30k, they'll let you go to €30k. I think this is their default standard. Think any individual top up of £10k or more also requires a verification of funds.

I find Rep of Ireland more difficult with lot's of thing's like banking,insurance etc.

A past example of easy - Number26 opening current account via video.

I don't think they would let me go to €30,000 and I'll probably never find out as I would not approach that amount in a single year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah can't see me getting anywhere near 30k, pretty shocked that I'm just shy of 12k at the minute

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah can't see me getting anywhere near 30k, pretty shocked that I'm just shy of 12k at the minute

-Do you use the card to take out cash at Irish ATM's for your day to day spending?

I do most times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

No, the bulk of my usage is online shopping but there were few hefty holidays and ticket purchases in there I suppose.

I plan on replacing the card with a contactless one soon enough and using it for day-to-day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Someone posted in BA that there's a problem with revolut processing purchases today... which of course I only saw after I bought something and it is still "processing" 30 mins later.
    Anyone else having issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Someone posted in BA that there's a problem with revolut processing purchases today... which of course I only saw after I bought something and it is still "processing" 30 mins later.
    Anyone else having issues ?

I had issues but what happened was card getting declined and then they fixed around 11.30am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I topped up this morning and exchanged Euro to Sterling as I was going up norf. Tried twice to get cash at an ATM in Sainsbury's and thought it odd my card was declined as it had never happened before. Bought a few things in Sainsbury's and tried to pay by Revolut but again it was declined so used my CC. I was a bit concerned at it getting declined but when I got home I got the message to say there was a problem with processing the payments.

As has been said, have a plan B/back up payment.

IMG_Revolut.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Is there no fee on card purchases when abroad at all or is there a limit? I plan on using this as my main card for travelling SEA over the next 6 months and am aware of the £500 ATM withdrawal limit before you are hit with a 2% charge. I'll probably be spending around €1,200 a month on average so just trying to figure out the best way to avoid fees completely. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Once you use point of sale transactions you'll have no issues. ATM withdrawals over a certain amount in a month result in a fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Have to been looking at this thread in a while. Two questions.... Has the issue with tsb customers not having the four digits in their statements by fixed work they can register cards?

I'm going to Australia in a week or so, any one have experience using card there. Is it still work my while using it there eve though Australian dollars is not one of the 3 currencys on it.

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Have to been looking at this thread in a while. Two questions.... Has the issue with tsb customers not having the four digits in their statements by fixed work they can register cards?

I'm going to Australia in a week or so, any one have experience using card there. Is it still work my while using it there eve though Australian dollars is not one of the 3 currencys on it.

I don't know about revolut for PTSB as I did not have the problem in the first place as I was an early adapter, but I recently validated something else using my PTSB card and the 4 digit code was displayed online without a problem.

As to Australia, you can use the card there and they are going to charge it to your € wallet. You can check the rates in the App to get an impression of the rates so that you can decide if they are good or you want an alternative way.
    (click on exchange - click in the middle box showing a conversion rate - add new currency - add euro than AUD and you can see the rate all the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,294 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks I know it's been asked before but I can't seem to find it here for some reason, but what is the most you can pay using Revolut in one go.

I have my eye on a car in the UK and it's £7000.

I had to re-register my PTSB debit card for some reason but I've had no problems topping up or with the four digit code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

@emmetkenny - Seems like you can't do the £7k in one go in fact you can't exceed £5,000 in a 96-hour period.
    Card spending is limited to £30,000 or equivalent per year with a sublimit of £5,000 or equivalent per 96 hours meaning that you cannot exceed £5,000 or equivalent in card spending in a 96 hour period. Cash withdrawals from ATMs are limited to £2,000 or equivalent per day.

Revolut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This is probably been asked but I cannot find.

I am going to the States in a few weeks. Ive not used the Revolut before. Do I top it up in Euros from my current ac or do I top up in USD?

And then, if by chance I dont use all the money, is there a charge to transfer it back to my current ac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Top up in Euros. No, assuming you have the sense to convert back to euros before sending to your account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement