Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

gimmick wrote: »
    This is probably been asked but I cannot find.

I am going to the States in a few weeks. Ive not used the Revolut before. Do I top it up in Euros from my current ac or do I top up in USD?

And then, if by chance I dont use all the money, is there a charge to transfer it back to my current ac?

-Top up in Euro - no charge to transfer back to bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,294 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

@emmetkenny - Seems like you can't do the £7k in one go in fact you can't exceed £5,000 in a 96-hour period.

Thanks Cortina, I had a look on the FAQ but couldn't see that anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Looking to load €1,500 onto my card to transfer to sterling.

Do you know if this will cost me anything in fees?

I have a free account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

No fees

If you are using the New York Subway MetroCard Vending Machine and it ask's for your zip code you use 99999 ref Revolut.

• Advertisement

The "send money" - money transfer is not working. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The "send money" - money transfer is not working. Anyone else?

Just tested, worked fine. Have you updated the app recently? There was a major UI overhaul a day or two ago.

Yes updated - now on version 3.2 IOS - keep getting money transfer failed -'were sorry something has gone wrong'

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A quick question about credit card top up, I know they charge a small % for top up via credit cards, but in relation to the transaction on a credit card, does that go through as a cash advancement and will it be then charged interest immediately by the credit card company? My mate is looking to get this card but his only method of topping up would be via a CC, I can't answer him as I've only ever topped up my acc via my visa debit card.

1% fee from Revolut and a cash advance fee from Credit Card company €3-4 I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

1% fee from Revolut and a cash advance fee from Credit Card company €3-4 I'd imagine.

It seems that credit card transactions aren't actually put through as cash advancements, if that is the case, then it's a cheap way of withdrawing money from your credit card.
    You can top-up your Revolut account instantly with a debit or credit card (MasterCard or Visa) on the app. Credit card top-ups will be recognised as a normal card transaction, not a cash advance. Unfortunately, some Maestro, pre-paid debit cards and American Express are not supported.

https://revolut.com/faq/gettingstarted.php?cat_id=4&cat_name=Top%20Up#parentVerticalTab4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It seems that credit card transactions aren't actually put through as cash advancements, if that is the case, then it's a cheap way of withdrawing money from your credit card.

I would be careful with that until someone actually posts his experience and if possible also the merchant category code used.

Revolut might use a code that is not cash advance but your credit card company might still have classified is as cash like transaction and hence charge the fee's. The fee is on more than cash for most companies these days.

It comes down to what merchant category code is used.

So until someone with an Irish card from each provider reports back I am skeptical.

Yeah, that's the main reason I posted here tbh, rather than take Revolut's word for it, I wanted to see what others experiences were.

If the bank that provides the credit card classifies it as quasi cash they will charge the fee but you should not get hit with interest unless it's not paid off in full by due date.

You could ring the bank but you could easily get an agent that doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

An I right in saying though that interest is charged straight away on any form of cash advancement?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Aquos76 wrote: »
    An I right in saying though that interest is charged straight away on any form of cash advancement?

That seems to vary between card issuers. BOI, for instance, doesn't charge interest on cash advances if balance is paid in full by due date each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

I would be careful with that until someone actually posts his experience and if possible also the merchant category code used.

Revolut might use a code that is not cash advance but your credit card company might still have classified is as cash like transaction and hence charge the fee's. The fee is on more than cash for most companies these days.

It comes down to what merchant category code is used.

So until someone with an Irish card from each provider reports back I am skeptical.

I have topped up using an AIB Click Visa and I wasn't charged a cash advance fee when the transaction went through.

I did this about 2 months ago to test it out so not sure if it has changed.

Yes updated - now on version 3.2 IOS - keep getting money transfer failed -'were sorry something has gone wrong'

- Just got following from chat - we are aware of that issue and working on it. we will try and fix it as soon as possible. you may try and change your friend's number in the following way: instead of 0698 change into i.e. +44698 and try to send your money. however it is possible it will not fix the issue.

steokeogh wrote: »
    I have topped up using an AIB Click Visa and I wasn't charged a cash advance fee when the transaction went through.

I did this about 2 months ago to test it out so not sure if it has changed.

Can you see (online or paper) what category this was charged as?

My money transfer is now working when I added +353 before 087 etc. in my contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

255 pages :)

So in summary,you transfer funds from your Irish credit card to this? Or is it you use this card and the transaction appears on your Irish card without foreign transaction fees?
    Or you send money to this card from your Irish debit card and it operates as a prepaid with no fees and charges (the retailer being charged a small fee instead) ?

There are problems too in transferring from certain Irish cards still?

Could someone clarify,thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

Can you see (online or paper) what category this was charged as?

No doesn't show me what category the transaction was.

ArKl0w wrote: »
    255 pages :)

So in summary,you transfer funds from your Irish credit card to this? Or is it you use this card and the transaction appears on your Irish card without foreign transaction fees?
    Or you send money to this card from your Irish debit card and it operates as a prepaid with no fees and charges (the retailer being charged a small fee instead) ?

There are problems too in transferring from certain Irish cards still?

Could someone clarify,thank you

Revolut offers you a prepaid card that is linked to an online wallet (available in €, £ and US$) which you load by either a bank transfer, a charge to your Debit card or a charge to your credit card (1% fee by Revolut). You can only spend what you have loaded into the wallet.

You than use the Revolut mastercard to access the funds in your Revolut Wallet and get charged their own rates for transactions in currencies that you do not have in your wallet.

You can keep all your money in € if you want and every time you use the Revolut card it will take it from that amount (with no foreign exchange fee, only Revoluts rate which usual beside on weekends is better than what other banks charge).

If you want to speculate you can also exchange money from your € wallet to £ or $ and lock in todays rate. Spending in that currency will than first take money out of that wallet before going back to your €.

Does that help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

A little video showcase:

I tested out the credit card top up this morning, I topped up by €10, a transaction of €10.10 was applied to my credit card and it was applied as a retail transaction rather than a cash advancement transaction. My credit card company is Avant (formally MBNA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hi all, any tips on adding my revolut card to paypal? its getting declined for some reason

Cyrus wrote: »
    hi all, any tips on adding my revolut card to paypal? its getting declined for some reason

Do you have money on Revolut so PayPal can take a validation charge?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do you have money on Revolut so PayPal can take a validation charge?

yep just stays there pending

Cyrus wrote: »
    yep just stays there pending

It'll stay like that for a day or two. Is your card showing on PayPal?

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It'll stay like that for a day or two. Is your card showing on PayPal?

no, tell me there an error adding my card, revolut say some people can add to paypal and some cant, nothing they can do :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement