Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Something strange happened to my revolut today.

First it said welcome to Vietnam

Then it said welcome back home just a few mins after, something to do with selling travel insurance

Did anyone get anything similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm trying to order a second physical card. I'm getting stuck in a loop basically when I try to select free postage. It pops up with an option of free global express delivery with the option to view upgrade options or cancel. When I press cancel it just goes back to the same page to select a delivery method.I choose free and it pops up with the same message again. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm trying to order a second physical card. I'm getting stuck in a loop basically when I try to select free postage. It pops up with an option of free global express delivery with the option to view upgrade options or cancel. When I press cancel it just goes back to the same page to select a delivery method.I choose free and it pops up with the same message again. Any ideas?

I have solved my own problem. Turns out global express delivery is only available with premium...it helps if you read the second line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Bought four items on Amazon. (nothing over £30) All put through my Revolut card separately but within minutes of each other. After the fourth transaction I got a notification from the Revolut app saying that they had noticed unusual transaction and frozen the card. If I was happy with said transactions I should unfreeze the card again. (Which I did.)

Impressed!

Had an issue last week, which turned out to be something I missed, but their support was excellent.

(Standard user; still pondering upgrade)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

J_A_F_A wrote:
    Bought four items on Amazon. (nothing over £30) All put through my Revolut card separately but within minutes of each other. After the fourth transaction I got a notification from the Revolut app saying that they had noticed unusual transaction and frozen the card. If I was happy with said transactions I should unfreeze the card again. (Which I did.)

J_A_F_A wrote:

Had something like that prior. At a wedding and topped up card to use for the bar run. A few hours later card was frozen but I was in no state to unfreeze it by that point so off to bed I went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone else seeing lazy balance refreshes?

Twice now recently I've opened the app, it's displayed enough credit for the transaction but then the transaction gets declined.

When I top up again the balance then refreshes and takes into account some recent transactions that it must have missed when calculating the current balance

Anyone else have this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Anyone having problems topping up using N26 bank card?

Saying this card is not supported , had been using it for years without issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Round up change saving is now live, happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

maximoose wrote: »
    Round up change saving is now live, happy days
    It's a really clever idea - it encourages people to use their Revolut for day to day expenses rather than just when abroad. Smart

I've been using my Revolut as my sole card for about 2 years now, have wanted that feature for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I closed my AIB current account recently due to excessive charges/fees and now use my Revolut as my primary current account for getting wages paid into etc. Glad I switched and no issues so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If they introduced Google Pay I'd immediately switch for day to day spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

Just signed up today.

I’m going to verify by sending the ID and selfie soon.

My main reason for joining revolut is because i’m moving to UK soon and need to pay rent.

Yesterday i paid a deposit of £250 using my boi current account and got charged €290.30
    So definitely got stung a few euros!

I need to pay off a £4,320 lump sum soon, so should i deposit €4863.49 which is the current rate and maybe more to cover extra fees?

I would appreciate all advice i’m a broke student and struggled a lot to pay for this independantly so any savings is a bonus towards for living costs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Just signed up today.

My main reason for joining revolut is because i’m moving to UK soon and need to pay rent.

Yesterday i paid a deposit of £250 using my boi current account and got charged €290.30

I need to pay off a £4,320 lump sum soon, so should i deposit €4863.49 which is the current rate and maybe more to cover extra fees?

I would appreciate all advice i’m a broke student and struggled a lot to pay for this independantly so any savings is a bonus towards for living costs!

£250 is currently €287.52 on the app, so you weren't completely ripped off, but obviously better in your pocket than the banks :)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

£250 is currently €287.52 on the app, so you weren't completely ripped off, but obviously better in your pocket than the banks :)

The €290.30 is probably just the £250 converted at the MasterCard/Visa rate before BOI get around to lobbing on their fees. This generally doesn't happen until a few days later when the transaction has completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Just signed up today.

If you had have taken that cash out of a U.K atm, you would have got charged for that too, so not that bad really! I believe the TSB atms in the U.K don't charge for you though for atm withdrawals on an Irish card.

I'd prob deposit €4,900 for any currency fluctuations. I know sterling went up to about €1.15 last week or so and held onto some of it since...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

Cant seem to find the page where people got the physical card for free, just to confirm it costs €11 something to get it aside from being a premium user which is free? Thanks as i topped up €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

sugarman wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can pay for an item in dollars with my Revolut linked to my Paypal?

Its trying to convert £ to $ at checkout giving a lousy rate.
    You need to disable Paypal's automatic conversion for the Revolut card.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding&buyer_hub

You basically have to use this link since it's (for me at least) impossible to find in your settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Any idea how long a transfer takes from Revolut (Turbo Payment) to N26?

Money was sent this morning and at the end of the transaction it said 'Money will show up by Tuesday'.

That seems awfully slow. I am hoping they are covering themselves.
    If that is the case, it would have been quicker to withraw the cash, lodge it into Irish bank account and then transfer to N26.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You do realise it’s the weekend, all bank transfers take longer at weekends

Aquos76 wrote: »
    You do realise it’s the weekend, all bank transfers take longer at weekends

Yep, but often have had to do the same transaction, and if it is cash they lodge the cash into AIB via the local Post Office, and it appears in N26 first thing Monday Morning.
    So a direct transfer from Revolut to N26, I would have thought would be at least, the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Suckit wrote:
    That seems awfully slow. I am hoping they are covering themselves. If that is the case, it would have been quicker to withraw the cash, lodge it into Irish bank account and then transfer to N26.

Anytime I transferred to my rabo account from revolut, it took 3 days minimum, if I did the same transfer from my bank account to rabo it would be in my rabo account the same afternoon. I did a couple of international bank transfers as well and it took 3 or 4 days as well with revolut, seemed very slow to me as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Anytime I transferred to my rabo account from revolut, it took 3 days minimum, if I did the same transfer from my bank account to rabo it would be in my rabo account the same afternoon. I did a couple of international bank transfers as well and it took 3 or 4 days as well with revolut, seemed very slow to me as well.

Haven't used them for transfers, but waiting for a refund to my revolut card - 3 business days so far..

Thanks. Not a big deal, but good to know.

Same as. If the cash is transferred from an Irish bank account before closing (I think before 3pm realistically), it will be in my N26 account the same day. But if it is after that, it will be first thing in the morning. If Transferred on a Friday evening, Saturday or Sunday, then it will be in N26 first thing Monday morning.
    I guessed that Revolut would be quick because they call it 'Turbo transfer'. But noticed that message at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Anyone get an email this evening advising that their card had an issue whereby it would not work to pay at London Underground terminals. Apparently this issue affects a number of cards including mine! They are sending out a free replacement card within 30 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

Deleting it to avoid confusion....

Deleting it to avoid confusion....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I clicked into it not thinking but it didn't ask for anything too personal. No address or card numbers or anything just name and phone number. Seemed quite legit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

It's legit, Revolut twitter has stuff up about ti.

• Advertisement

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    It's legit, Revolut twitter has stuff up about ti.

Ah, ok. The landing page is poorly made. I will contact them through the chat first.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Anyone get an email this evening advising that their card had an issue whereby it would not work to pay at London Underground terminals. Apparently this issue affects a number of cards including mine! They are sending out a free replacement card within 30 days.

Got that email too. Have both a MasterCard and Visa with them but the email doesn't explain which one the issue is with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Think it’s the MasterCard.... as a few people who also were issued their MasterCard the same time as me also received the email.

Suckit wrote: »
    Any idea how long a transfer takes from Revolut (Turbo Payment) to N26?

Money was sent this morning and at the end of the transaction it said 'Money will show up by Tuesday'.

That seems awfully slow. I am hoping they are covering themselves.
    If that is the case, it would have been quicker to withraw the cash, lodge it into Irish bank account and then transfer to N26.

The money showed up at 7:28am this morning.
    I won't be using that on a weekend again. Very slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just ordered my new FREE card via e-mail about London payment issue. The app has also let me open a U.K. bank account. Have they brought this back - think it was active before but only on a temporary basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I set up a vault for the rounding up feature. Great idea. I've been buying my lunch with it since. Will see how much I have at Christmas. I'm also auto topping up the vault by €5 a week to help boost it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Quackster wrote: »
    Got that email too. Have both a MasterCard and Visa with them but the email doesn't explain which one the issue is with.

looks as if the problem is with their Mastercard. https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/988526888485351432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Someone in USA used my card last night to spend 32 euro . They tried to spend hundreds more but I didn't have the funds.
    Luckily it wasn't earlier on in day as I did have more then.

Wonder will I see that back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Someone in USA used my card last night to spend 32 euro .
    Any idea how/where your account was compromised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Someone in USA used my card last night to spend 32 euro . They tried to spend hundreds more but I didn't have the funds.
    Luckily it wasn't earlier on in day as I did have more then.

Wonder will I see that back now.

Probably a lesson for all not to have too much on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Just freeze the card until you want to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I sent €50 yesterday to my account by the Swift method with the ref supplied in app. This is an advance transfer to see if it works before sending a larger amount.

How long before it shows ? I am with PTSB.

Failing that, am I better to use transfermate ? (Amount would be £2250 about €2500)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Why did you not pay to your personal IBAN?

That is usually there next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Why did you not pay to your personal IBAN?

That is usually there next day.

Thanks.
    Yes, my mistake. I thought I had to go the SWIFT route. SWIFT is sloooooow and may even have fees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There won't be extra cost as while it's called swift due to it being an IBAN the bank will treat it as such unless you went down to the branch and asked them to do it as swift. If you did it via open24 it will go as SEPA transfer.

There is just going to be a slight processing delay once it reached Revolut. They will get it next business day (if you did it before the cut-off point) and they then need extra time to process, but usually, it's there maximum 2 days after sending.

Doing it directly to your personal IBAN will make it quicker as it's usually there next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

I was thinking of getting a revolut card mainly for use on the london underground and hotels so would usually only have under €100 on it at a time.

The free card offer is over but I was wondering if the physical MasterCard can be ordered for non-premium accounts in Ireland? On their own forums people are complaining that Visa all they can get in the UK for non-premium accounts, but I wondered about Ireland.

The reason for MasterCard over Visa is the frequent comments online about visa being coded as a prepaid card and failing for transactions that exclude prepaid cards.

What's the ID requirements for small amounts? A selfie in the app and a photo of my passport? Is there a proof of address requirement before I load money onto it and buy the physical card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi all,
    Can someone riddle me this.... Has anyone had an issue trying to add your Revoult Bank account (GB IBAN, Euro Account) to AIB? I cannot add a GB IBAN to AIB as a Payee (I have contacted them)

I don't want to go down the Debit Card route as it's a business debit card, when I checked how much a 1,000 eur payment to Revoult would be, Revoult were going to charge €13.

I really don't want to setup a new personal account with personal debit card just for this, although may have to.

I can purchase using Credit Card with no fee, but it's a bit of a long way round... i'd prefer to just pay straight from my current account into Revoult (There is no way to avoid the charge on a business debit card) - I'm a sole trader hence the business account.

-Edit- Reason I don't want to open another account is that I have too many accounts as it is for different businesses... last thing I want is more bank / stamp duty charges.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Can someone riddle me this.... Has anyone had an issue trying to add your Revoult Bank account (GB IBAN, Euro Account) to AIB? I cannot add a GB IBAN to AIB as a Payee (I have contacted them)

Yeah, AIB don't allow non-Irish accounts to be setup as Payees. I've gotten around this for my N26 account by setting up a standing order instead, you can use any SEPA account for that. If it's a once-off you just need to remember to cancel the standing order after it's done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Spocker wrote: »
    Yeah, AIB don't allow non-Irish accounts to be setup as Payees. I've gotten around this for my N26 account by setting up a standing order instead, you can use any SEPA account for that. If it's a once-off you just need to remember to cancel the standing order after it's done

Thanks. Pain in the hole. Don't want to do a SO!

Looks like Revoult may not be for me (not their fault) - They have offered to refund my 10eur top up and cancel my account.

Although, I think i'll keep it as i'll save a few quid when purchasing from UK.

I presume there's no issues using Revoult card with PayPal?

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »

I presume there's no issues using Revoult card with PayPal?

None. Just make sure to disable Paypals crap currency converter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement