Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I headed north and forgot my revolut card, is it possible to pay by giving card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

phobia2011 wrote: »
    I headed north and forgot my revolut card, is it possible to pay by giving card details.

If you write it down on a piece of paper the same size as a credit card they normally accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭paska

paska wrote: »
    I am going North. Topped up in Euro. Should I spend in Euro or change it to sterling on the app?
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Keep it in euro.

Try searching the thread this has been asked loads of times.
    Quackster wrote: »
    No, the advice here has always been to pay in the local currency. Otherwise, what's the point in using Revolut?

You load the card in euro (from a euro bank account) and can then choose either to convert funds to sterling in the app (to lock in the exchange-rate at that point in time) or leave it all in euro.

The Revolut rates are a little worse at weekends so it can make sense to convert funds in advance if you're going to be using the card over the weekend.

That's not the question you asked and not the answer you were given.

I think I did ask that question and got two different answers.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No, you didn't. The question I assume you were trying to ask is whether you should pay in local currency or let the retailer convert the transaction to euro. And the answer to that is clear - always pay in local currency.

The question that you seemed to ask to those of us who replied is whether you should convert your euro top ups to sterling in the app or leave them as euro. And the answer to that is that it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Have those withdraws counted against your fair usage AMT limit?

- Yes counted against the €650 limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

phobia2011 wrote: »

All jokes aside, is it something you could order and pay for online? Otherwise, most businesses would not have have the ability to process your payment without the actual card being present.

If the payee is a person who has a Revolut card themselves, you could transfer payment to them via the app on your phone - probably unlikely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

How long does an Irish bank transfer take - from Revolut card to a business (AIB) account - I have IBAN BIC address name etc of the payee?
    And are there any charges and also is it reliable?
    Can't get to a bank tomorrow to transfer in branch but need this transfer to go through without a hiccup

Anyone any experiences?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

No, you asked about two completely different issues. Your first was about exchanging. Your second was about payment options. You were given very different answers for two very different questions, both of them correct. I'd be grateful instead of being cheeky.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I've carried out numerous transfers to a UK bank acc and it normally takes a day and a half to hit their account. I tend to get it done by about 9am and it's mid afternoon the following day that it hits their account. There are no charges for transferring to a bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I've carried out numerous transfers to a UK bank acc and it normally takes a day and a half to hit their account. I tend to get it done by about 9am and it's mid afternoon the following day that it hits their account. There are no charges for transferring to a bank account.

I've just done the transfer, 1 to 5 business days it says hopefully by Tuesday

• Advertisement

I'm in New York and can confirm that TD Bank now charge a $3 ATM fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Further ATM restrictions on the way as of 5th February 2017(immediately for new users):

Headline: To cover our costs, we are introducing a monthly free usage limit of £200, with a small 2% fee thereafter.

http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/153954103252/fair-usage-policy-update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They mustn't like me taking out the €650 a month.

Further ATM restrictions on the way as of 5th February 2017(immediately for new users):

Headline: To cover our costs, we are introducing a monthly free usage limit of £200, with a small 2% fee thereafter.

http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/153954103252/fair-usage-policy-update

Not great for those who use Revolut on holidays in a non-Euro area :( Personally, I'd prefer an annual allowance - you'd burn through one month's €200 in a few days at times like that. I know you can try and pay by card for most items, but holiday destinations don't suit this type of spending very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

2% is still tiny compared to usual banks abroad and non-euro transactions.

That depends on your bank, mine (non-Irish) allows me world wide ATM usage (as long as it's more then 50€) with no charge at all (not even a % for foreign currency conversion). The conversion is done via Visa rates so it might not be as good as Revolut but at least it's free otherwise.

Yes, if you are UK or Irish customer than these charges are still cheaper than what they charge.

But what is shows is (like other start-ups) they now feel the need to make money and restrict their once special features off one by one.

That depends on your bank, mine (non-Irish) allows me world wide ATM usage (as long as it's more then 50€) with no charge at all (not even a % for foreign currency conversion). The conversion is done via Visa rates so it might not be as good as Revolut but at least it's free otherwise.

Yes, if you are UK or Irish customer than these charges are still cheaper than what they charge.

But what is shows is (like other start-ups) they now feel the need to make money and restrict their once special features off one by one.

No such thing as benevolent investors, eh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Meh, its still great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Would you get dinged the 2% for getting cashback out in the north?

Jayop wrote: »
    Would you get dinged the 2% for getting cashback out in the north?

I don't think they give cashback on credit cards - afaik, that's how a Revolut card is logged? Open to correction here ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I don't think they give cashback on credit cards - afaik, that's how a Revolut card is logged? Open to correction here ...

Aah possibly. My local where I've used it a few times to get cash back will hand you money back on any card. They just run through a sale or 50 quid or whatever and hand you the money.

Purchasing MTA credit from a machine on New York, as a last ditch attempt tried my five digit postal code from the same house in Barcelona that the card is registered to. It worked! No idea how this can work for Irish addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

My revolut card got skimmed/defrauded last week. Had stopped getting spending notifications for no apparent reason and didn't really take heed of it (update your app folks). Then went to pay for something online and found some dude had cleaned out the account to the tune of around €2,300.

There were all sorts of transactions in there, aliexpress, banggood, Walmart, some random hotel in florida. Netflix was there. Anyway a number of transactions weren't approved so they were just returned eventually (funds were placed in a pending status). Still waiting on a bunch of charge backs from some random mobile phone network in Azerbaijan, I've read horror stories that there is little protection on these cards so hopefully there won't be any problems

We only use it on about 5 different sites, all established businesses, so hard to know where the problem came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

My revolut card got skimmed/defrauded last week. Had stopped getting spending notifications for no apparent reason and didn't really take heed of it (update your app folks). Then went to pay for something online and found some dude had cleaned out the account to the tune of around €2,300.

There were all sorts of transactions in there, aliexpress, banggood, Walmart, some random hotel in florida. Netflix was there. Anyway a number of transactions weren't approved so they were just returned eventually (funds were placed in a pending status). Still waiting on a bunch of charge backs from some random mobile phone network in Azerbaijan, I've read horror stories that there is little protection on these cards so hopefully there won't be any problems

We only use it on about 5 different sites, all established businesses, so hard to know where the problem came from.

Updating as I type! That's horrible, hope you get everything back.

My revolut card got skimmed/defrauded last week.

Ouch.. I hope you get at least some of the money back, let us know how Revolut behaves in this, it surprised me that their fraud monitoring did not catch this pro-actively.

It is always good to go into the security settings and configure the options even if you are using the card regularly but especially when you don't plan on using it.

Disable magstripe payments (unless you travel to a backwards country without chip+pin).

Enable the "location based security" unless you don't have roaming data in the country you are going to.

Disable ATM withdraws, you can always enable it again if needed, just take a couple of minutes to update.

Disable e-commerce transaction if you don't plan to use the card in a while, again just take a couple of minutes to update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Be great if they offered orbiscom/mastercard temporary credit card numbers via their app that you could use only once. Why don't they!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Ouch.. I hope you get at least some of the money back, let us know how Revolut behaves in this, it surprised me that their fraud monitoring did not catch this pro-actively.

It is always good to go into the security settings and configure the options even if you are using the card regularly but especially when you don't plan on using it.

Disable magstripe payments (unless you travel to a backwards country without chip+pin).

Enable the "location based security" unless you don't have roaming data in the country you are going to.

Disable ATM withdraws, you can always enable it again if needed, just take a couple of minutes to update.

Disable e-commerce transaction if you don't plan to use the card in a while, again just take a couple of minutes to update.

Or alternatively, block the card when not in use, and unblock it when you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Have they removed the ability to log into app with your fingerprint recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Have they removed the ability to log into app with your fingerprint recently?

working here, you might check if its switched on as I've noticed an update can de activate this

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

2% is not 'tiny' compared to 'usual banks abroad!

My Mastercard charges 2.25% above interbank for non-Euro transactions and I get up to six weeks free credit and I do not have to preload the money onto the card. So I typically pay with the CC for almost everything and with the way most bars in Europe allow you to run up a tab for drinks, the credit card is even good for buying jar!

That 2% charge and the monthly free ATM limit would negate any benefits the Revolut card might have had for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement