Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

That's the cvv number of the revoult card, I wouldn't worry about that one, it's the card I use to topup from I thought was visible in the app. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dafringe

Beware. I got scammed. I was in Estonia and someone hacked my revolut account and tried to withdraw money from my account in Seoul and new York. Luckily I had no money in my account so they were unsuccessful but when I asked revolut would I have been protected from the potential loss they said no i wouldn't so let the warning go out.if you get scammed you take the loss not revolut. I don't know what the situation is with other credit cards. Is protection afforded in circumstances like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

dafringe wrote: »
    Beware. I got scammed. I was in Estonia and someone hacked my revolut account and tried to withdraw money from my account in Seoul and new York. Luckily I had no money in my account so they were unsuccessful but when I asked revolut would I have been protected from the potential loss they said no i wouldn't so let the warning go out.if you get scammed you take the loss not revolut. I don't know what the situation is with other credit cards. Is protection afforded in circumstances like this?

Any idea how they hacked it?

I used it in Poland to pay for accommodation,in supermarkets etc and at ATMs so I think somehow they made a duplicate card with my account details. Maybe my account was cloned somehow. They would have cleaned me out if I had cash in my account

Or two duplicate cards for the different locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That's the cvv number of the revoult card, I wouldn't worry about that one, it's the card I use to topup from I thought was visible in the app. :eek:

It's there when you click topup. Full card details not available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Would MasterCard not protect you ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My AIB Visa card has been got at a couple of times over the years. In each case AIB/Visa took the hit. They're pretty sharp on unusual activity on an account. I wouldn't have any confidence in Revolut to monitor unusual activity so I don't keep money on the card. I top up by the amount I need, unblock the card, use it, and block the card again when I've completed the transaction.

It's handy for FX transactions but IMO in no way suitable for everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

My AIB Visa card has been got at a couple of times over the years. In each case AIB/Visa took the hit. They're pretty sharp on unusual activity on an account. I wouldn't have any confidence in Revolut to monitor unusual activity so I don't keep money on the card. I top up by the amount I need, unblock the card, use it, and block the card again when I've completed the transaction.

They clearly say in their t&C that they are a prepaid card and there is no legal requirement from them to cover any fraudulent transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I wouldn't have any confidence in Revolut to monitor unusual activity so I don't keep money on the card. I top up by the amount I need, unblock the card, use it, and block the card again when I've completed the transaction.

^^^This. We keep only a minimum amount on our cards and block what we don't need until we do. It can be a bit of a pain when I leave my phone at home though and I'm standing at an Asda checkout :o

If my phone were lost or stolen, one of the first things I'd do would be to contact my bank and block any Revolut top-ups. I know the thief would have to hack my pin before he'd have access to the app and transfer himself some of my money, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

app down for anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

No, fine for me. I used it in Lidl this morning (11:30am) and actually thought it was quite fast. I hadn't even moved from the till and my phone bleeped to notify me of the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They seem to have opened up the application process again but I needed to verify identity before I can top up by any amount. Just going through the motions with support since I locked myself out with an unreadable picture apparently...

Edit: Just ordered my card. Estimated delivery Dec. 23rd. Cutting it close for holidays on the 29th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TheChizler wrote: »
    They seem to have opened up the application process again but I needed to verify identity before I can top up by any amount. Just going through the motions with support since I locked myself out with an unreadable picture apparently...

Edit: Just ordered my card. Estimated delivery Dec. 23rd. Cutting it close for holidays on the 29th...

i would be more concerned about the huge postal delays and the fact you got 2 bank holidays as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

irishgeo wrote: »
    i would be more concerned about the huge postal delays and the fact you got 2 bank holidays as well.
    Exactly why it's cutting it close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I used it in Poland to pay for accommodation,in supermarkets etc and at ATMs so I think somehow they made a duplicate card with my account details. Maybe my account was cloned somehow. They would have cleaned me out if I had cash in my account

Activate the GPS protection on the card, it works only based on location. That way you are protected before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

What's the difference between this and a debit or credit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Bob Z wrote: »
    What's the difference between this and a debit or credit card?

It's a prepaid credit card that allows you to pay in multiple currencies.

irishgeo wrote: »
    It's a prepaid credit card that allows you to pay in multiple currencies.

Yes but my debit card allows me to use different currencies anyway doesn't it?

If people already have a credit card why use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Yes but my debit card allows me to use different currencies anyway doesn't it?

If people already have a credit card why use it?

Have you checked recently what your credit / debit card are charging you for the usage in foreign currency?

Banks usually use the Mastercard or Visa Exchange rate plus up to 2.75% conversion fee (some banks take 1.75%, some 2.75%, check your bank).

Revolut uses near spot rates and does not charge a conversion fee.

So if you regularly spend in foreign currency than you will be able to save some money by using Revolut over your debit / credit card. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Anyone get a pop up saying free £50 for investing £500 in something called money farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

They said this at the start of this month:
    We're working towards this by taking steps to become our own issuer. Hopefully we'll be able to implement this further down the line!

maximoose wrote: »
    They said this at the start of this month:

Remember that due them transitioning from paysafe as issuer of their cards to their bank license and mastercard membership it will take a while for them to come up with new offerings. I would not count on this happening anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Just signing up. What's the best way to do it . Use pm address as uk address but use Irish credit card /bank account with Irish address for top up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

You don't need to use PM, use your own address

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

maximoose wrote: »
    You don't need to use PM, use your own address

Was I wrong in assuming that a card issued to a uk address would have more flexability I.e. Some uk companies will only accept uk cards?

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Was I wrong in assuming that a card issued to a uk address would have more flexability I.e. Some uk companies will only accept uk cards?

In Revolut's case even with your Irish Mailing Address the card is still issued by a UK financial service provider (Paysafe) as UK card (at least at this moment).

I've got a virtual revolut card is it worth getting the real card?

I know it's handy if you go on holiday or to northern Ireland but any other reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I know it's handy if you go on holiday or to northern Ireland but any other reason?

I tend to use it for general bricks n mortar purchases in IRL also these days (albeit that I agree with others - only load relatively small amount of funds into it at a given time for security reasons).

It's nice to see a record of transactions appear immediately. Furthermore, the app's block card feature is useful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement