Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Does anyone use the auto top up features?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Looking for 6 quid to deliver a card on a new account now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Jayop wrote: »
    Looking for 6 quid to deliver a card on a new account now.

And they want 20 to get it here quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Heading on my holidays to Thailand, Malaysia, and China tomorrow. I was hoping to use this card a lot while away. Was wondering should i put a good chunk on it now or just keep topping it up bit by bit while away?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Heading on my holidays to Thailand, Malaysia, and China tomorrow. I was hoping to use this card a lot while away. Was wondering should i put a good chunk on it now or just keep topping it up bit by bit while away?

If you'll have occasional internet access abroad I'd suggest topping it up bit by bit while away. If not load it up in advance with the caveat that you are not as protected against fraud or theft as with a normal credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

msmx5 wrote: »
    If you'll have occasional internet access abroad I'd suggest topping it up bit by bit while away. If not load it up in advance with the caveat that you are not as protected against fraud or theft as with a normal credit card.

Thanks, I think I'll top up incrementally and then put a chunk on it before I go to China in case I don't have access to internet or if sites are blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

curious would anyone pay a monthly fee for higher ATM withdrawal limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Was topping up by a few k today from stg with the intention of transferring to euro. Transaction was stopped and my bank rang me to query the transaction. The woman on the phone said they've seen a lot of fraudulent transactions involving revolut lately and she said nearly all transactions with revolut are being stopped until they can guarantee they are legit.

Suppose this was always going to happen. Don't know what I can do now to protect myself going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

adam88 wrote: »
    Was topping up by a few k today from stg with the intention of transferring to euro. Transaction was stopped and my bank rang me to query the transaction. The woman on the phone said they've seen a lot of fraudulent transactions involving revolut lately and she said nearly all transactions with revolut are being stopped until they can guarantee they are legit.

Suppose this was always going to happen. Don't know what I can do now to protect myself going forward

I had the same with one of my cards. The second I submitted the request a withheld number called (can't understand why fraud protection uses withheld numbers). Once I called them back (how do I know they are really my bank) they explained the same to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

What banks are affected by this fraud check? Could put a right old crimp in the Christmas shopping, especially if away from home when topping up. I keep a minimum in the account and top up as needed - seems as if you can't win sometimes :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

The second I submitted the request a withheld number called (can't understand why fraud protection uses withheld numbers). Once I called them back (how do I know they are really my bank) they explained the same to me.

I hate this - especially when they start by asking you details to confirm who you are first! They're ringing me on MY phone from a withheld number and they want ME to confirm who I am????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Its a pity they will introduce 200 a month cap. It used to be limitless then the 650 came in now this. Its still very handy but cant believe they are charging now for cards to be sent out for new custom.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I hate this - especially when they start by asking you details to confirm who you are first! They're ringing me on MY phone from a withheld number and they want ME to confirm who I am????:rolleyes:

Or even worse when you don't pick up and they leave you a voicemail "this is the bank you have a credit card with, please contact us as soon as possible" without stating what bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Transaction was stopped and my bank rang me to query the transaction. The woman on the phone said they've seen a lot of fraudulent transactions involving revolut lately and she said nearly all transactions with revolut are being stopped until they can guarantee they are legit.
    That may possibly be correct. However, bear in mind that Revolut are costing the banks money! I had a PTSB 'free banking' current account. Ended up in the states for 5 months last year and they were absolutely raping me on 'fees' related to fx (before we even consider the fx rate that was being applied). Got revolut set up and no more fees!

There could be a fraud issue - or it could be a script that they want to use to make their customers shy away from revolut.
    Keep the card blocked - when not in use via the app. I lost my card in Mexico - immediately upon realising it, I opened the app, blocked the card and ordered a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭893bet

I am planning on buying a car up north from a dealer. Any issue with using a revolute card for this (car value around 6k sterling)?

893bet wrote: »
    I am planning on buying a car up north from a dealer. Any issue with using a revolute card for this (car value around 6k sterling)?

That's over the allowed spending limit:
    Card spending is limited to £30,000 or equivalent per year with a sublimit of £5,000 or equivalent per 96 hours meaning that you cannot exceed £5,000 or equivalent in card spending in a 96 hour period. Cash withdrawals from ATMs are limited to £2,000 or equivalent per day.

https://revolut.com/faq/gettingstarted.php?cat_id=2&cat_name=Card#parentVerticalTab8

You could try to pay them via the online transfer function but with that amount it would also cost fee:
    Using Revolut to send, spend, withdraw and exchange in a foreign currency is free for the first £5,000 / €6,000 / $6,000 (or equivalent) per calendar month. A 0.5% fee will apply to any further cross-currency transactions performed during the same calendar month. 

Also most likely the car dealer would appreciate it if you pay him via bank transfer as he saves the credit card charge, you might even get a better price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It wouldn't surprise me if the Irish Banks are knowingly causing issues for it's Customers in blocking top up's to payment apps and using the old security chestnut as cover for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Have they removed the ability to log into app with your fingerprint recently?
    I updated tonight and it's showing a fix for fingerprint login.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭questionmark

do you have to pay stamp duty with these cards ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I'd like to know that as well, regarding Stamp Duty.! .. If you don't have a physical card do you have to pay Stamp duty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

No stamp duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

I'm trying to order something from Toys R' Us and it asks me for a cardholder's name, which isn't on my virtual card (only got this thing set up today.). What do I put in instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

511 wrote: »
    I'm trying to order something from Toys R' Us and it asks me for a cardholder's name, which isn't on my virtual card (only got this thing set up today.). What do I put in instead?

Eh your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Eh your name.

Right, well any card I use on the Toys R' Us website gives the same error verifying credit card.

I'd like to know that as well, regarding Stamp Duty.! .. If you don't have a physical card do you have to pay Stamp duty?

It's irrelevant if it's a physical card or not

The account is liable for ATM Stamp Duty if you withdraw cash from an ATM in the state as it's treated as a debit card.

A while ago Revolut confirmed that they will charge the 12c , but it remains to be seen if that actually is going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Bob Z wrote: »
    It's irrelevant if it's a physical card or not

-How could you use a virtual card in an ATM? - of course it's relevant.

It's 12 cent per withdrawal and is capped at €2.50 and €5 depending on the card. It's the most ridiculous charge but should we expect any less in this Country that like's to make everything complicated.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    -How could you use a virtual card in an ATM? - of course it's relevant.

It's 12 cent per withdrawal and is capped at €2.50 and €5 depending on the card. It's the most ridiculous charge but should we expect any less in this Country that like's to make everything complicated.

I thought he meant customs duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Does BOI have anything got to do with revolut, I got a message today from BOI saying my account fees will be debit the 30th but I'm not with BOI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

mightyreds wrote: »
    Does BOI have anything got to do with revolut, I got a message today from BOI saying my account fees will be debit the 30th but I'm not with BOI
    Text or email? I get spam from "BOI" everyday but I'm also not with BOI and I don't believe it to be genuine and it filters through to the spam folder but one day it did arrive in my inbox.

Actually came up here a long time back in the BOI forum.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056649324

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement