Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I got a text message from them which I thought was strange, I used my Revolut card in a BOI ATM today which got me thinking along those lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My physical card arrived today, pleasantly surprised because the app predicted the 23rd. Was greatly entertained by the packaging, I can see why it cost €6...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I know they have to cover their costs but I hope they don't price themselves out of the market.

Paid for Amazon stuff there in stg from my eur balance. It was only a small fee but still a fee nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Brother signed up today and the app wanted him to verify his ID before he could top up any funds.
    It says the Verification limit is 0 ,as opposed to 1000 euro before.
    Is this a new thing ? If so its a dreadful move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

adam88 wrote: »
    I know they have to cover their costs but I hope they don't price themselves out of the market.

Paid for Amazon stuff there in stg from my eur balance. It was only a small fee but still a fee nonetheless

Are you sure. I bought stuff this morning on revolut and no fee was charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Zardoz wrote: »
    Brother signed up today and the app wanted him to verify his ID before he could top up any funds.
    It says the Verification limit is 0 ,as opposed to 1000 euro before.
    Is this a new thing ? If so its a dreadful move.
    Same here. The automatic verification this guy didn't work but it was absolutely no hassle to verify chatting to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Had a failed payment by amazing using revolut for the first time on the site. Used my visa card and payment was fine. Hasn't a clue why but reading the past few pages, I'm guessing it was blocked for the same reasons you guys got blocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

adam88 wrote: »

Have you maybe spend too much for their taste this month:
    Using Revolut to send, spend, withdraw and exchange in a foreign currency is free for the first £5,000 / €6,000 / $6,000 (or equivalent) per calendar month. A 0.5% fee will apply to any further cross-currency transactions performed during the same calendar month. 

Revolut has introduced some additional functions like multiple physical (2) and virtual cards linked to the same wallet in their latest update.

An additional virtual/physical card costs 7.00€.

I can understand the charge for the plastic but charging 7.00€ for a virtual card is in no way competitive. While it's nice to have a virtual card to separate charges and minimize the risk of online exposure, 7.00€ is a high price. Others offer this cheaper. It also make it not cost efficient to use virtual cards as one time numbers. Maybe it's a good idea for those online charges from laundr.ie / Deliveroo / Hassle etc to limit online exposure but it's a high charge for something easy.

http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/154551510732/introducing-spare-revolutcards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

does the spare card have the same 16 digit number?
    or is it a different card linked to same account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

does the spare card have the same 16 digit number?
    or is it a different card linked to same account

Diff card same account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Revolut has introduced some additional functions like multiple physical (2) and virtual cards linked to the same wallet in their latest update.

Is the limit for virtual cards 2 as well ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    Is the limit for virtual cards 2 as well ?

If I recall this correctly (can't find it anymore) you can have a total of 5 cards on the same wallet. But that might no longer be the rule, I suggest to contact support with that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes I saw that message about 5 so presumably maximum 3-4 virtual cards. They could make things a lot clearer.

I presume all these extra virtual and 2nd physical card would have to be in same name as first card?

The Store description states:
    You can now have two active physical Revolut cards at one (or up to five virtual cards)!

It's not really clearly described, so let's see if someone here hits the limit and tells us about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭CASEsensitive

I was just wondering has anyone had an issue with sites in the UK refusing to ship either to Parcel Motel or Ireland as they state that the card holder has to be in the same country as the issued card or that Revolut is issued from a country they don't accept (I think it's Estonia but issuing bank in Paysafe registered in UK).

I know there are some issues with prepaid mastercards in the US with this I just though in Europe this would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I was just wondering has anyone had an issue with sites in the UK refusing to ship either to Parcel Motel or Ireland as they state that the card holder has to be in the same country as the issued card or that Revolut is issued from a country they don't accept (I think it's Estonia but issuing bank in Paysafe registered in UK).

I know there are some issues with prepaid mastercards in the US with this I just though in Europe this would be different.

I use amazon and revolut with addresspal regularly and never have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Moon38

Hi
    I had same problem with amazon and Currys. Didn't accept Revolut when using Addresspal as the addresses didn't match

Moon38 wrote: »
    Hi
    I had same problem with amazon and Currys. Didn't accept Revolut when using Addresspal as the addresses didn't match

But Amazon offers you different billing and shipping addresses, so that should not be a problem.

Have your Revolut card set up with the real Irish address and your favorite freight forwarder as delivery address. That works for me without a problem since a long time.

As to currys, have no experience there, so can't comment.

Name and shame the company (companies) please.

UK is still part of the EU common market, so if they offer shipping to Ireland they can't refuse your valid payment instrument. Yes, they can tell you that they only will ship to your billing address, but they can't decline your card because it's not issued in your country, you have the right to use any EU account you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

My revolut card got skimmed/defrauded last week. Had stopped getting spending notifications for no apparent reason and didn't really take heed of it (update your app folks). Then went to pay for something online and found some dude had cleaned out the account to the tune of around €2,300.

There were all sorts of transactions in there, aliexpress, banggood, Walmart, some random hotel in florida. Netflix was there. Anyway a number of transactions weren't approved so they were just returned eventually (funds were placed in a pending status). Still waiting on a bunch of charge backs from some random mobile phone network in Azerbaijan, I've read horror stories that there is little protection on these cards so hopefully there won't be any problems

We only use it on about 5 different sites, all established businesses, so hard to know where the problem came from.

Howdy folks,

Just to follow up on this, we got all our money back in a fairly painless manner in the end. The transactions which were marked as "Pending" were eventually added back to the balance automatically after around 10 days. Revolut then raised chargebacks for the remaining transactions and that took around 3 or 4 weeks to have returned. According to their support staff, the transactions were obviously fraud, so the chargebacks are processed fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Howdy folks,

Just to follow up on this, we got all our money back in a fairly painless manner in the end. The transactions which were marked as "Pending" were eventually added back to the balance automatically after around 10 days. Revolut then raised chargebacks for the remaining transactions and that took around 3 or 4 weeks to have returned. According to their support staff, the transactions were obviously fraud, so the chargebacks are processed fairly quick.
    I remember chasing a chargeback on a Visa Debit Card (I think it was through Bank of Scotland Ireland at the time) some years back. Initially, the bank flat out said I had no such protection as it was a debit card. I stood my ground and maintained that such a protection is covered under all cards issued by visa (having contacted visa europe to confirm same). Took a bit of work but they (the bank) relented in the end - and I got my chargeback.

I can't say for sure but I'd imagine that mastercard is run in the same manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

What does tag your card (optional) mean in relation to ordering a new card?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Delta2113 wrote: »
    What does tag your card (optional) mean in relation to ordering a new card?

I'm guessing you can give each card a tag/nickname like - "dodgy online purchases" or "the missus" something so you can identify what you intend to use the card for.

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

Thought I'd mention this here, seeing as many of us get vouchers over the Christmas period;

I've successfully topped-up/transferred funds from some Entropay vouchers I was given, although I did have to guess at the amounts, as the Entropay cards were in USD$, and I had to factor in the fees. Yes, I could have topped up in USD$, but I don't have much need for that, EUR€ are better for me. You won't be able to fully validate the 'card', you'll have to enter the CVV every time

The transactions went through straight away, and showed on my Revolut balance immediately, but I waited for 5 days, to make sure they weren't reversed.

My next challenge is One4All cards - I tried last night to top up directly from a card, but that failed as expected. One4Alls can be converted to V+ Prepaid Mastercards; not cheap though, the charge is 8%/€100, so I might try that, when I have a One4All with maybe €20 or so, to see if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

Spocker wrote: »
    Thought I'd mention this here, seeing as many of us get vouchers over the Christmas period;

I've successfully topped-up/transferred funds from some Entropay vouchers I was given, although I did have to guess at the amounts, as the Entropay cards were in USD$, and I had to factor in the fees. Yes, I could have topped up in USD$, but I don't have much need for that, EUR€ are better for me. You won't be able to fully validate the 'card', you'll have to enter the CVV every time

The transactions went through straight away, and showed on my Revolut balance immediately, but I waited for 5 days, to make sure they weren't reversed.

My next challenge is One4All cards - I tried last night to top up directly from a card, but that failed as expected. One4Alls can be converted to V+ Prepaid Mastercards; not cheap though, the charge is 8%/€100, so I might try that, when I have a One4All with maybe €20 or so, to see if it works

I tested V+ cards doesn't work. Contacted there support and they said that they restrict Virtual cards which is what they class Revolut as so wont work.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Spocker wrote: »
    I've successfully topped-up/transferred funds from some Entropay vouchers I was given, although I did have to guess at the amounts, as the Entropay cards were in USD$, and I had to factor in the fees. Yes, I could have topped up in USD$, but I don't have much need for that, EUR€ are better for me.

If the Entropay cards are in US$, then you should top up in US$ and then convert to euro in the Revolut app as Revolut doesn't charge for the conversion. That's the whole point of Revolut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Just wondering can the card be used to on now tv site to verify i am over 18 and in the UK.
    If so what address should i use or just use a random address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Quackster wrote: »
    If the Entropay cards are in US$, then you should top up in US$ and then convert to euro in the Revolut app as Revolut doesn't charge for the conversion. That's the whole point of Revolut!

They do charge for topping up in USD though, although that might only relate to US debit card top ups.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

They do charge for topping up in USD though, although that might only relate to US debit card top ups.

Thats correct, and why I didn't top up in USD, as there's a fee on the Entropy side as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement