Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

This card won't work on Campusoil.ie for some reason :confused:

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    This card won't work on Campusoil.ie for some reason :confused:

Campus website probably only accepts Irish payment cards.

Quackster wrote:
    Campus website probably only accepts Irish payment cards.

They don't specify but more than likely the case alright!

That's my first time not being able to use my Revolut card somewhere apart from a site that required 3D Secure.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They don't specify but more than likely the case alright!

That's my first time not being able to use my Revolut card somewhere apart from a site that required 3D Secure.

Bus Eireann is the same. Obviously tourists never want to book tickets on the Bus Eireann website. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Donal55 wrote: »
    A good time to buy stg this morning.
    .87+ on the exchange.

Theresa May makes a Brexit speech on Tuesday and it could take another slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

They finally have put the Stamp Duty into the T&C:
    In certain circumstances, such as if you are a legal resident of the Republic of Ireland and you conduct an ATM transaction in the Republic of Ireland, Revolut may collect from You the appropriate stamp duty up to the legal maximum as required by the Irish Revenue Commissioners.

Point 5.6
    https://revolut.com/terms2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Used contactless card with the tube for the first time at the weekend, wasn't sure how it worked as it took £10 the first time I tapped in on Friday and nothing else over the weekend, so found this today - good to know:
    If you use Revolut contactless with Transport For London (TFL), who run the tubes and buses in London, we will block £10 called ‘TFL authorisation’. The £10 will be released after 5 days. Your Revolut Card won’t work with TFL if your balance is below £10.
    TFL will deduct the payment for your journey from your available balance rather than the £10 ‘TFL authorisation’. The process is like this:

tumblr_inline_o92t7ynBTN1ty3m0w_500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

They finally have put the Stamp Duty into the T&C:

Point 5.6
    https://revolut.com/terms2

I normally top up here and then withdraw from an ATM in the UK, would i be charged the stamp duty? I've never used the card at an Irish ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

A quick search answered my own question!
    Delta2113 wrote: »
    3.2 Charge to stamp duty - from Revenue.ie

Card issuers are referred to as promoters in the legislation. Promoters (promoter
    includes credit and financial institutions but does not include credit unions, An Post
    or any of its subsidiaries) are liable to stamp duty on cash transactions. They are
    required to pay stamp duty of €0.12 per cash transaction in respect of each cash
    card and combined card which is used at any time during the calendar year and
    is valid on 31 December of that year. The charge is capped at €2.50 in respect
    of cash cards and combined cards that were only used for cash transactions and
    €5.00 for combined cards where both functions were used.
    For a card to be within the charge to stamp duty the card must be issued to an
    individual who has an address (address on the bank statement) in the State.
    The location of the promoter is irrelevant as to whether a card comes within the
    charge. A cash card or combined card issued by a foreign promoter to such an
    individual comes within the charge while a card issued by any promoter to an
    individual whose address is outside the State does not. A non-Irish resident with
    an address in the State with a card registered at that address is similarly liable to
    the stamp duty charge. These rules similarly apply to all cards issued on accounts
    denominated in a foreign currency.
    A “cash transaction” means a withdrawal from an ATM in the State using a cash
    card (ATM only) or a combined card (cash and debit card). Withdrawals from
    ATMs located outside the State or cashback from point of sale at any location are
    not liable to stamp duty.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I see they've finally gotten around to resetting our limits, I had stopped using it for last few weeks as I had come very close to my limit, I just checked there now and it's gone back to €0

B6EBEB6A-8E3E-4FB7-84D2-D97816AFE7FA_zpsuvamhjz4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Really impressed with how quickly it alerts you to payments made. Hadn't even taken my card out of the petrol station terminal today when there was a buzz from my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I see they've finally gotten around to resetting our limits, I had stopped using it for last few weeks as I had come very close to my limit, I just checked there now and it's gone back to €0

Mine hasn't. I'm stuck on 29999 at the moment.

Word of warning, they locked my account and said I had to verify my source of funds. They wanted to see a payslip. Im topping up from a business account so sent them our business details, bank statements etc and they said they couldn't accept them, they unlocked the account alright but told me not to use this account to top up in future. The whole process to get it unlocked took about 3 weeks, i was talking to about 4 different reps, and they all gave me different information. Pain in the ass tbh - will be checking out number 26 now to see what way their currency conversion works.

Mine has definitely reset anyway, as has my wife's account, not sure when they actually reset thou, but both are now showing €0 topped up so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm also back to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Pain in the ass tbh - will be checking out number 26 now to see what way their currency conversion works.
    Is there anyone out there that has used both n26 and revolut? How do they compare? Are there any other competitors in this space?

Mine has also reset to 0 even tho I have topped up a few hundred this month. Im guessing it only reset within the past 24 hours or so and is counting from then as opposed to Jan 1st?

Is there anyone out there that has used both n26 and revolut? How do they compare? Are there any other competitors in this space?

N26 uses the official Mastercard rates (set once a day) as per
    https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

Revolut uses spot rates (beside on weekends) provided by Morningstar
    http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/markets/Currencies.aspx
    On weekends they use Friday nights rates plus 1.5-3.5% adder (depending on currency).

So if you shop loads of £ right now with Brexit you might be better off using Revolt as it over the last couple of days was consistently better spot than mastercard. But for other rates you experience might vary.

Also N26 is a current account with a card so you get more.

They don't take Revolut in post offices now apparently?

What a joke.

What a joke.

Must be feeling the pinch: https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Foreign+Exchange/Choose+the+PostFX+MasterCard+Currency+Card.htm

What a joke.

I tried a transaction in the post office last year and it wouldn't go through then, so I don't think this is a new thing, I'm open to correction here though.

• Advertisement

What a joke.

Their acquirer sees the card as a credit card rather than a debit card (as Revolut claims it is) and as AnPost does not accept credit cards they won't take it.

You can complain to AnPost and ask them to check with their acquirer and ensure they update the record. And while it usually takes ages to get an answer, I had a similar problem a while ago on one of their platforms and it they fixed it within weeks.

Sent complaint to An Post, Comreg (why not eh? :D ) and the Ombudsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why don't AnPost accept credit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

irishgeo wrote: »
    CC charge a higher transaction fee compared to Debit cards.

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

I con't find the exact link, but I believe it's a legal thing, whereby you can't buy certain Post Office services on Credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Spocker wrote: »

I con't find the exact link, but I believe it's a legal thing, whereby you can't buy certain Post Office services on Credit
    There was a similar concept with Lotto - not using borrowed money to gamble

I'm paying for a postage stamp though? :-/

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm paying for a postage stamp though? :-/

Its not you, it's how An Post are treating your payment method, they think it's a Credit Card

Spocker wrote: »
    Its not you, it's how An Post are treating your payment method, they think it's a Credit Card

I know that, and it's idiotic and stupid on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I know that, and it's idiotic and stupid on their behalf.

its more than likely that the payment provider they use hasnt updated their binrages to tag your card as a debit card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement