Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Aquos76 wrote:
    This has been flagged since December, new customers that signed up after 2nd Dec have had those limits since then, the rest of us had the 650 limit till mid February or if you accepted their new T&C then your limits were reduced to €200 from then. Mine reduced yesterday as I had to accept their new t&c to avail of the new U.K. Bank account option.

Wasn't aware of that. Wouldn't of accepted the new terms if I looked into it. UK bank account doesn't appeal to me. Any suggestions to get best rates while in USA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Aquos76 wrote: »
    This has been flagged since December, new customers that signed up after 2nd Dec have had those limits since then, the rest of us had the 650 limit till mid February or if you accepted their new T&C then your limits were reduced to €200 from then. Mine reduced yesterday as I had to accept their new t&c to avail of the new U.K. Bank account option.

Regarding cash back, don't think this has ever been an option with Revolut card

Existing customers had the €650 limit until the 5th February. Everyone is limited to the €200 now I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

danwhite88 wrote: »
    Any suggestions to get best rates while in USA?

Yep, Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Think I'll have to fork out for the contact less card and then use that in the UK instead of withdrawing cash. Although. If you time it either side of midnight you should be OK for a weekend trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

irishgeo wrote: »
    Think I'll have to fork out for the contact less card and then use that in the UK instead of withdrawing cash. Although. If you time it either side of midnight you should be OK for a weekend trip.

A) "forking out" for the card isn't going to break the bank

B) if you don't want to fork out, why not just use chip and pin? Anywhere you can pay contactless will have C&P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm going to have to unfollow this thread. It's getting too much with all the strange comments and questions :(

In other news, 500K worldwide users for Revolut.

It's not the money. It should be a free upgrade to contactless for existing customers that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

It's not the money. It should be a free upgrade to contactless for existing customers that's all.

You'll het charged €6 for posting it out too. Essentially €12 for the card

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

MarkY91 wrote: »
    You'll het charged €6 for posting it out too. Essentially €12 for the card

Isn't that only if you go for express shipping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

express delivery - 17£ UK (12+5) / 26€ EU (20 + 6), 31£ (26+5)/ 36€ (30+6) worldwide - up to *2-3 working days*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Which you'll presumably get, when your original card expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Can only speak for IOS version but you just swipe to the left and it will allow you delete the ones you no longer want

9D53DDCB-7559-44A2-BF4F-9343FB150E43_zpsw7jlr7qw.png

I never knew you could add other currencies besides the USD, GBP and EUR. :eek:

I'll be travelling to Malaysia and Indonesia soon so I presume I'll save a fortune converting and withdrawing in their currencies over using an AIB bank card?

Edit: Just realized you can't convert your balance to the other currencies. So is there any benefit to using Revolut over an AIB card for other currencies then?

Which you'll presumably get, when your original card expires.

Never thought of that.

Doge wrote: »

I'll be travelling to Malaysia and Indonesia soon so I presume I'll save a fortune converting and withdrawing in their currencies over using an AIB bank card?

Edit: Just realized you can't convert your balance to the other currencies. So is there any benefit to using Revolut over an AIB card for other currencies then?

You'll get a better exchange rate.

In going to Thailand, Vietnam etc soon so I'm looking focused the cars abroad too.

I read in the website that you can save money so over the world except with the Thai baht..why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Doge wrote: »

There's no currency exchange fees. That's the big one. If you can make card purchases you can use it pretty much anywhere without an FX fee

The first €200 withdrawn each month is free too

Dodge wrote: »
    There's no currency exchange fees. That's the big one. If you can make card purchases you can use it pretty much anywhere without an FX fee

The first €200 withdrawn each month is free too

If I'm paying in a foreign country using card, do I have to ask them to be charged in the local currency? Or will they do it either way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    When did they officially add Android pay? Just topped up by 35 there, handy out.

Did they? I don't think it works with Android pay. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Did they? I don't think it works with Android pay. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can top up with Android Pay but can't add the Revolut card to Android Pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

What's involved in activating a £ Revolut Current Account? - I see the activate button in the app.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    What's involved in activating a £ Revolut Current Account? - I see the activate button in the app.

Pressing the button and accepted the T&Cs is all it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Happened to me today. The amount to pay was €28.
    I pressed the green button and it went through as £25.05 which is rate of 0.899827, todays rate is 0.846378.

My Euro Revolut account was charged €29.69

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

dohouch wrote: »
    Happened to me today. The amount to pay was €28.
    I pressed the green button and it went through as £25.05 which is rate of 0.899827, todays rate is 0.846378.

My Euro Revolut account was charged €29.69

always pay in local currency.

adam88 wrote: »
    always pay in local currency.

When in a foreign country paying in a shop by card, do I say to tjen to charge in local currency? If I say nothing, would they charge in euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

MarkY91 wrote: »
    When in a foreign country paying in a shop by card, do I say to tjen to charge in local currency? If I say nothing, would they charge in euro?
    When I shop in Sainsbury's (Sports Direct too IIRC) I don't say anything. I find if I get some free staters :) in front of me they might ask to pay in Euro. I'm told the price, stick my card in and by default I'm charged in £STG then Revolut converts.

20170214_112154.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hey folks - heading to the US in a few months and someone's recommended Revolut as an option for getting a good exchange rate - just trying to get my head around how it will work.

If I'm understanding it right, I can set up an account and order a physical card, which I can then top up from my regular current account and use for withdrawals and in-store purchases while abroad (all while getting a better FX rate than my regular debit/credit card would offer). Is that essentially it? And is there any limit to the number of in-store purchases you can make on the card before they start charging a fee (akin to the €200 ATM withdrawal limit)?

Cheers for any info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

flogen wrote: »
    Hey folks - heading to the US in a few months and someone's recommended Revolut as an option for getting a good exchange rate - just trying to get my head around how it will work.

If I'm understanding it right, I can set up an account and order a physical card, which I can then top up from my regular current account and use for withdrawals and in-store purchases while abroad (all while getting a better FX rate than my regular debit/credit card would offer). Is that essentially it? And is there any limit to the number of in-store purchases you can make on the card before they start charging a fee (akin to the €200 ATM withdrawal limit)?

Cheers for any info!

https://revolut.com/faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

flogen wrote: »

Yep you've more or less summed it up. Just note:-
    • Currently €6,000 monthly limit on "free" FX in-store purchases after that there is a 0.5% charge
    • On ATM withdrawls its €200 per month with 2% fee on amounts above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Used a Revolut card in US last October. Worked very well and rate was very good with no additional charges. Be sure to have your passport with you as asked to produce identification when paying with card and also bring your debit/crefit card as backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is there a charge for a replacement card? Mine just won't work in chip & pin machines (it will in ATM's) so I'm hoping a new one will resolve it. They just tell me in the support that that can't see the declined transactions.
    6 euro charge I think for a replacement Revolut or an additional one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement