Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is there a charge for a replacement card? Mine just won't work in chip & pin machines (it will in ATM's) so I'm hoping a new one will resolve it. They just tell me in the support that that can't see the declined transactions.

€6 then €6 posting fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

august12 wrote: »
    Used a Revolut card in US last October. Worked very well and rate was very good with no additional charges. Be sure to have your passport with you as asked to produce identification when paying with card and also bring your debit/crefit card as backup.

did you sign the back of it?

if its not signed they will ask for id in the states.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

msmx5 wrote: »
    Yep you've more or less summed it up. Just note:-
    • Currently €6,000 monthly limit on "free" FX in-store purchases after that there is a 0.5% charge
    • On ATM withdrawls its €200 per month with 2% fee on amounts above.
    august12 wrote: »
    Used a Revolut card in US last October. Worked very well and rate was very good with no additional charges. Be sure to have your passport with you as asked to produce identification when paying with card and also bring your debit/crefit card as backup.

Great, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

I'm having awful problems with them at the moment. I made a bank transfer to Revolut of a couple of thousand pounds that I was going to convert to euro. They have an issue verifying it from their end, even though I have sent screenshots of my bank statements showing the transfer, and so were to transfer the money back to my account.....13 days ago! It still hasn't showed up, and all I get from chat support is that they "understand my frustration" and ask for "patience". I have been in touch with them every day this week, and have been assured every day that the transfer will be done.

I have no doubt that the card is great, and I will be using it next week for the first time, but my experience with them otherwise has left a very sour taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Lustrum wrote: »
    I'm having awful problems with them at the moment. I made a bank transfer to Revolut of a couple of thousand pounds that I was going to convert to euro. They have an issue verifying it from their end, even though I have sent screenshots of my bank statements showing the transfer, and so were to transfer the money back to my account.....13 days ago! It still hasn't showed up, and all I get from chat support is that they "understand my frustration" and ask for "patience". I have been in touch with them every day this week, and have been assured every day that the transfer will be done.

I have no doubt that the card is great, and I will be using it next week for the first time, but my experience with them otherwise has left a very sour taste
    Whoa be careful there mate, you obviously haven't read this thread, anyone who has any issues with the service gets lambasted by the Revolutionaries and called stupid while they pick holes in your story and basically end up saying it's your fault not the great infallible Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I would have checked with Revolut first if I was going to transfer 1000's of pounds rather than going head first in with a bank transfer. Seems like madness to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I would have checked with Revolut first if I was going to transfer 1000's of pounds rather than going head first in with a bank transfer. Seems like madness to me.

Whats to check? There should be a clear electronic record of the transaction - provided the sender input the correct data/references etc.

Their customer service is rubbish.

Check what possible checks would be needed for such a large transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Do I have to verify my debit card when topping up? I topped up my account just now successfully, however it wants me to enter 4 digits of a code from my bank statement followed by taking a photo of my actual debit card? Will I have problems in the future if I don't use the in app function to take a photo of my debit card? I don't really like the idea of it taking a photo of my card like this :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Do I have to verify my debit card when topping up? I topped up my account just now successfully, however it wants me to enter 4 digits of a code from my bank statement followed by taking a photo of my actual debit card? Will I have problems in the future if I don't use the in app function to take a photo of my debit card? I don't really like the idea of it taking a photo of my card like this :/
    Plenty of 'online' banks etc ask for that

I don't remember doing it with Revolut though

On the missing bank transfer was it by using the 'reference code'? I would do all I could to avoid using those type of transactions. Hope it works out obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Yep, the reference code that Revolut have given me wasn't acceptable to them as verification. So I sent them a copy of my bank statement showing the transaction, which wasn't acceptable. So I then asked for the money back, which they said they did on 3rd Feb. However, after spending every day this week hounding them for confirmation that it was sent, I finally got it today, and the money was returned.

I bring home money every month, usually use currencyfair, but thought I'd try out Revolut. Once the money was back in my account today it was straight back to currencyfair with me.

Like I said, hopefully my experience with the card is a bit more positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Yep, the reference code that Revolut have given me wasn't acceptable to them as verification. So I sent them a copy of my bank statement showing the transaction, which wasn't acceptable. So I then asked for the money back, which they said they did on 3rd Feb. However, after spending every day this week hounding them for confirmation that it was sent, I finally got it today, and the money was returned.

I bring home money every month, usually use currencyfair, but thought I'd try out Revolut. Once the money was back in my account today it was straight back to currencyfair with me.

Weird experience...particularly with their new feature suggesting you can get salary paid to the account...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dardania wrote: »
    Weird experience...particularly with their new feature suggesting you can get salary paid to the account...
    Since it requires employers to include a specific reference number I can't see it being used much. Mine don't even include their company name in the transaction, just some reference number and I only know it's my salary because of the amount.

Paying your salary in is only for customers with the UK bank account feature enabled.

Don't get your salary paid into this if you're paid in Euros..... and don't try to use the IBAN for topping up your Revolut. That would be madness again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Until they launched the UK "current account" only payments from accounts matching the name of the revolut account holder were accepted that also required to have a specific reference number in the transfer.

Anything not matching the name or missing the reference number would return via 3rd party payment from currencycloud, however usually that was never automatic and required a lot of chasing.

I know of transfers rejected or placed on hold because the revolut account was "John Smith" but the sender account was "John-Oliver Smith".

Since they launched the "current account" you have your own UK account number and sort code (provided by Prepay Technologies Ltd.) for payments in £ via the UK banking network. That allows more flexibility for receiving £ payments and also faster outbound payments (via the faster network).

For those accounts only it's no longer a requirement to have a reference number and it's possible to accept payments from anybody as long as the account number/sort code is used that is shown under local bank account in the app.

Payments to the IBAN (either £ or €) shown in the App (with the receiver name of Revolut shown) still have the requirement of same sender name matching and reference number.

As to receiving higher amounts of money into the account, in recent month their compliance department is getting more aggressive and blocking accounts quickly if they see unusual high amounts coming in. They than want the full KYC process possible including proof of funds before they release the amounts.

All in all, there are loads of kinks with Revolut but it's good for the occasional payments in foreign currency if you load via credit/debit card or bank transfer within reasonable amounts.

And if they ever offer real "current account" functions like Direct Debits/Standing orders it's an easy way of getting a free UK bank account number instead of paying Monese or using Fire (which kills at the conversion rate).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You can combine Fire, and your new Revolut sterling account to avoid currency charges

(EG company pays into your Fire account, you can transfer to your new Revolut Sterling (no charge) and then use whatever currency you like (no charge))

The new Uk Sterling 'account' in Revolut may make this step unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭CASEsensitive

I'm just wondering how people are getting using bank transfer to Revoluts new bank account, which is with Lloyd's. Previously it was Barclays. With the Barclays account you could top up in Euro but now the Lloyds account is not recognized as a SEPA transfer by my bank, so my bank converts the transfer to sterling.
    Is everyone having this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Are you trying to pay to GB98 LOYD 3080 1286 5682 90?

It's a valid IBAN and your bank should have no problems making a € payment it to, mine does not have any issues.

Your bank might have a problem understanding that GB IBAN can be in € but it's down to the receiving bank which currency the account is not the sending bank. Your bank should send in €.

Just remember to include the reference number.

Yes, that's the IBAN, I rang and managed to speak to someone in bank of Ireland and they said the database for adding new payees has been down for three weeks, and they don't know when it will be fixed.

Only option is to go into the branch and do a single transfer at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

UK own accounts come with new T&C, is there any downside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Yes, that's the IBAN, I rang and managed to speak to someone in bank of Ireland and they said the database for adding new payees has been down for three weeks, and they don't know when it will be fixed.

Only option is to go into the branch and do a single transfer at the moment.

Is that specific to that payee or all payees? Worth testing out. I'm not saying for definite that this is anti-competitive practice but as an example, 11 bitcoin exchanges have had to close down in the UK as the banks closed down/froze/messed about with - the bank accounts they were using to accept FIAT funds from customers. The same happened with BOI and irish bitcoin exchange Bitcove.

I know they're not the same thing - but where they are similar is that they both offer a significant threat to the future of conventional establishment banking.

Is that specific to that payee or all payees? Worth testing out. I'm not saying for definite that this is anti-competitive practice but as an example, 11 bitcoin exchanges have had to close down in the UK as the banks closed down/froze/messed about with - the bank accounts they were using to accept FIAT funds from customers. The same happened with BOI and irish bitcoin exchange Bitcove.

I know they're not the same thing - but where they are similar is that they both offer a significant threat to the future of conventional establishment banking.

No, she mentioned it was all new payees and that it was going on for three weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

Whoa be careful there mate, you obviously haven't read this thread, anyone who has any issues with the service gets lambasted by the Revolutionaries and called stupid while they pick holes in your story and basically end up saying it's your fault not the great infallible Revolut.

Just have an issue with people spouting about a bad product/service when they haven't read the terms and conditions. This was explained to you 3 weeks ago but you clearly didn't get it.

The new withdrawal limit of €200 per month is a bag of ****e, €650 was nice for trips to the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sono wrote: »
    The new withdrawal limit of €200 per month is a bag of ****e, €650 was nice for trips to the UK

The only way around is to use the card everywhere and take out max sum each day or either side of midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

irishgeo wrote: »
    The only way around is to use the card everywhere and take out max sum each day or either side of midnight.
    Cashback?

What good is withdrawing either side of midnight if the limit is €200 per month? Unless you do it on midnight on the 30/31 of each month?

What good is withdrawing either side of midnight if the limit is €200 per month? Unless you do it on midnight on the 30/31 of each month?

Was wondering this myself, this is not a daily limit, it's a monthly cap!

It is a shame they have dropped it so low though, suppose I could always get a few cards and lodge money into say 3 of them and get around it that way? Would this work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Sono wrote: »
    Was wondering this myself, this is not a daily limit, it's a monthly cap!

It is a shame they have dropped it so low though, suppose I could always get a few cards and lodge money into say 3 of them and get around it that way? Would this work?

I presume the limit applies to accounts rather than the number of cards linked to that account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement