Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

sorry i hadnt fully woken up. of course its a monthly limit :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

200 isn't too bad. I use Revolut for all my day-to-day spending including nights out etc and I rarely find myself having to go to an ATM.

What's annoying is the lack of cash-back because most places code it as a credit card. Very frustrating. Most shops/stores/pubs/clubs/petrol stations take card/contactless though so no biggie really. The problem of the ATM cap is even less prevalent in the UK, where these machines are seemingly everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

200 isn't too bad. I use Revolut for all my day-to-day spending including nights out etc and I rarely find myself having to go to an ATM.
    If you could use Android pay with it for payments I'd replace my current account debit card. Just throw my monthly day-to-day budget on it and work away.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Sono wrote: »
    It is a shame they have dropped it so low though, suppose I could always get a few cards and lodge money into say 3 of them and get around it that way? Would this work?

If you 'encourage' (ie pester!) all your family members and friends to sign up, you could always borrow cards from those who mightn't be using them abroad in any given month.

It's simple transferring funds from yours to another Revolut account and then withdrawing at an ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Quackster wrote: »
    If you 'encourage' (ie pester!) all your family members and friends to sign up, you could always borrow cards from those who mightn't be using them abroad in any given month.

It's simple transferring funds from yours to another Revolut account and then withdrawing at an ATM.

But for every €500 it's only €10 fee right? Unless my maths is way off

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    But for every €500 it's only €10 fee right? Unless my maths is way off

Exactly. It all depends on how much that tenner is worth to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Quackster wrote: »
    Exactly. It all depends on how much that tenner is worth to you.

How is a tenner worth any more or less than a tenner?

A person's financial circumstances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If you have €100 than a tenner is worth 10%
    If you have €1000 than a tenner is worth 1%

Dodge wrote: »
    If you have €100 than a tenner is worth 10%
    If you have €1000 than a tenner is worth 1%

And that concludes today's finance lesson.

Next we move onto "how big is your house".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Quackster wrote:

Pity with the whole confirming identify on new regs. Set up an account for a family member (for my use) but to verify the account I needed to a photo of their ID (passport or drivers licence) and take a selfie to confirm all. Seems a little too much. Any way around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

danwhite88 wrote: »
    Pity with the whole confirming identify on new regs. Set up an account for a family member (for my use) but to verify the account I needed to a photo of their ID (passport or drivers licence) and take a selfie to confirm all. Seems a little too much. Any way around this?

- No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

What your doing or attempting to do is illegal and against money laundering laws unless you state your the beneficial user of the account

adam88 wrote: »
    What your doing or attempting to do is illegal and against money laundering laws unless you state your the beneficial user of the account

Settle down with accusations like that

He/she may merely have been trying to help set it up as they more tech savvy than the relative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

What good is withdrawing either side of midnight if the limit is €200 per month? Unless you do it on midnight on the 30/31 of each month?

Just double checking this with their fair usage page, and it says that the monthly limit is £200 with a 2% fee for anything pver that?

https://revolut.com/fairusage

I thought you were limited to £200 no matter what!

So now is there much of a point in withdrawing more than
    £200 when you're abroad?

That 2% is surely higher than your banks exchange rate?

It depends on the FX rate. My bank is 1% but their rate is regularly more than 1% worse than Revolut so would cost me more

I'd be hoping not to withdraw over the 200 though but can see how it's less useful for regular travellers to Asia etc

Set up an account for a family member (for my use)
    adam88 wrote: »
    Dodge wrote: »

He/she may merely have been trying to help set it up as they more tech savvy than the relative
    Sounds like they're the beneficiary in reality. Doesn't sound like an accusation, just a warning that what they're trying to do is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

adam88 wrote:

Dodge wrote:

No he is right, I have been planning to launder money for some time. Revolut will help me get an extra €200 cash pm from money transferred from my personal account.

Adam88 you are one heck of a spy, I will pm you my details and you can inform the guards and revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

No he is right, I have been planning to launder money for some time. Revolut will help me get an extra €200 cash pm from money transferred from my personal account.

Adam88 you are one heck of a spy, I will pm you my details and you can inform the guards and revenue.

He made a valid point that what you are attempting to do is against money laundering regulations. You are essentially trying to set up a bank account, for yourself, in somebody elses name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

You'd be surprised at the lengths people do to launder money. Supermarkets and their saving stamps got caught badly some time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Can I pay a security deposit with this card for say a hotel? I think it's called a pre Authorization? I am staying in a hotel in Germany in a few days time and the hotel wants a security deposit taken from my card on check in which will be refunded again when I check out.. Usually they request a credit card for this but can the Revolut be used instead?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

You can yeah, the funds need to be on the card though of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

A co-worker is heading abroad in 3 weeks and I advised him to get the Revolut card before he goes, though I don't recall if it took a week or a month to get the card.

Reckon he'll have time to sign up before he goes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

mrcheez wrote: »
    A co-worker is heading abroad in 3 weeks and I advised him to get the Revolut card before he goes, though I don't recall if it took a week or a month to get the card.

Reckon he'll have time to sign up before he goes?

Should be fine. Mine took 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

If I wanted to buy something say on mandmdirect.com for 80 pounds, do I exchange my euro to the 80 pounds first on the app, then use the card? Or do I leave the app in euro and let it convert itself? I've tried both and mandmdirect is failing on payment. 

Ideas?

stamjoe wrote: »
    If I wanted to buy something say on mandmdirect.com for 80 pounds, do I exchange my euro to the 80 pounds first on the app, then use the card? Or do I leave the app in euro and let it convert itself? I've tried both and mandmdirect is failing on payment. 

Ideas?
    Sounds like they don't accept prepaid Mastercard or don't recognise the issuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

TheChizler wrote: »

Ideas?
    Sounds like they don't accept prepaid Mastercard or don't recognise the issuer.
    They accept Mastercard and Maestro.

Prepaid though?

Could be a problem with how your address is stored with Revolut and on the retailer website. Did you use your Eircode with both?

Or maybe the retailer requires MasterCard 3D Secure which Revolut doesn't support?

• Advertisement

Sent complaint to An Post, Comreg (why not eh? :D ) and the Ombudsman.

Update on this. Comreg said they won't deal with it. Nothing back from Ombudsman. Comreg advised I contact the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC). I've sent them an email.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement