Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 m27sv

It’s not just the banks: Government charges too From January 1st, new government charges apply to financial transactions. Out is the old €5 stamp duty on ATM/debit cards and in are new per-transaction charges.
    This means that each time you withdraw money from an ATM, you will be charged 12 cent, although the fee is capped at €5 (42 transactions) a year. And bear in mind that you don’t pay as you go; the duty is collected in arrears on December 31st of each year.
    A heftier fee of €30 applies to credit cards and is deducted from your account on April 1st each year.
    Finally, don’t think that signing up to an online foreign player will allow you to skip stamp duty. The up-to-€5-a-year charge applies to all Irish residents with debit cards, regardless of where they originated. According to the Revenue Commissioners: “All cards regardless of the location of the issuer are liable if the cardholder has an address in the State.”

ww.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/is-it-time-to-switch-to-save-on-banking-charges-1.2587104
    (Tue, Mar 29, 2016, 06:00)

do I need to pay 5 euro tax for revolut card? where to pay ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've seen a 12c charge already when using a BOI ATM although interestingly I was not charged when using one of the new type ATM's installed in Topaz service stations.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I used BOI LATM on Dec 6 2016 and was charged 12 cent. It was refunded January 5 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveydon

Lads I'm trying to add my revolut card as a payee through my PTSB online banking as I'm having issues with my ptsb debit card but I keep getting an error stating Iban & BIC are invalid. Anyone had this problem before and know of a workaround? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

steveydon wrote: »
    Lads I'm trying to add my revolut card as a payee through my PTSB online banking as I'm having issues with my ptsb debit card but I keep getting an error stating Iban & BIC are invalid. Anyone had this problem before and know of a workaround? Cheers

Can't help you but you shouldn't have any issues with your PTSB debit card. I haven't (nor Mrs Dodge)

Get on to Revolut support though the app. They were very quick getting back to me recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

steveydon wrote: »
    If you're having issues with your debit card, are they related to issues with account access in general? i.e. is this why you can't add the payee?

This is not a revolut issue - it's one to follow up with PTSB support.

I've added revolut as a payee account on my ptsb online banking in the past without any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

I'm sure this questions been asked many times, but..

Has anyone had any issues using the Revolut physical card over in the states? Like should it work in most ATMs and credit card terminals?

I'm heading over in about 2 months and was planning to put money on the card (haven't yet ordered the card) as I go, i.e as I'm a bit nervous putting a large amount on it I was gonna say put 3 or 400 on and top it up every few days.

Rosstopher wrote: »

Has anyone had any issues using the Revolut physical card over in the states? Like should it work in most ATMs and credit card terminals?

I'm heading over in about 2 months and was planning to put money on the card (haven't yet ordered the card) as I go, i.e as I'm a bit nervous putting a large amount on it I was gonna say put 3 or 400 on and top it up every few days.
    I was over there for 6 months last year. PTSB was screwing me with FX fees - that's what led me to Revolut.

The thing is that you can't depend on it. You have to have 2 options available to you at all times - there's always the possibility that Revolut won't work out. I was topping up at €1000 a time - but do what suits you best. That said, there were often delays in getting funds credited to the account (have not had to top up for many months - perhaps this has improved?).

Any manner of debit card doesn't seem to work at a U.S. filling station - you'll need cash for that. Otherwise, Revolut card worked fine most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was over there for 6 months last year. PTSB was screwing me with FX fees - that's what led me to Revolut.

The thing is that you can't depend on it. You have to have 2 options available to you at all times - there's always the possibility that Revolut won't work out. I was topping up at €1000 a time - but do what suits you best. That said, there were often delays in getting funds credited to the account (have not had to top up for many months - perhaps this has improved?).

Any manner of debit card doesn't seem to work at a U.S. filling station - you'll need cash for that. Otherwise, Revolut card worked fine most of the time.
    You need the enter 99999 as a zip code and it works at filling stations

ted1 wrote: »
    You need the enter 99999 as a zip code and it works at filling stations
    Tried that and it wouldn't have it - perhaps it's something that's been addressed since....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Rosstopher wrote: »

I'm in the US at the moment. Haven't used it in an ATM, but everywhere else we've used it has been no problem - just make sure you have photo id with you though. Only time it was rejected was when the hotel went to put a pre-authorisation on it and it wouldn't accept that

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

I'm trying to buy a camera off the Canon website but it requires a UK billing address, they offer PayPal too but again it recognises that it's an Irish account.

Is there any way I can get the Revolut card to work? I've searched through this thread but nothing appears to work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

pjjk90 wrote: »
    I'm trying to buy a camera off the Canon website but it requires a UK billing address, they offer PayPal too but again it recognises that it's an Irish account.

Is there any way I can get the Revolut card to work? I've searched through this thread but nothing appears to work...
    try use revolut's postal address for the billing address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Can you use Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Dardania wrote: »
    try use revolut's postal address for the billing address?

I'll try that now, thanks for that idea. Initially I used Parcel Motels address, the payment appeared on the Revolut card (pending) but a "technical issue occurred" appeared on the Canon site, so I assumed they knew that the addresses didn't match up.

Edit: Tried that and I keep getting the same error...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'll try that now, thanks for that idea. Initially I used Parcel Motels address, the payment appeared on the Revolut card (pending) but a "technical issue occurred" appeared on the Canon site, so I assumed they knew that the addresses didn't match up.

Edit: Tried that and I keep getting the same error...

Try setting up a UK PayPal account. You could load it by bank transfer from Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Quick few of questions:

Heading to the UK next month. I have the account set up and verified. Just have to order the card now.

1. Is the max withdrawal €200 or £200? In other words if I withdraw £200 have I then exceded my €200 limit as £200 is worth about €233 at the moment.

2. If I'm using contactless payment over there do they automatically take the sterling rate?

3. When I'm making bigger purchases do I go with the UK rate? What is the difference?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

2. Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

3 - Yes, Always pay in local currency, IE sterling. Pretty sure everything goes through as sterling without a choice in the UK anyway as the card is from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Just made a withdrawal from ATM and was charged 12c Irish stamp duty, will 12c be withdrawn every time I use the ATM?

• Advertisement

Just made a withdrawal from ATM and was charged 12c Irish stamp duty, will 12c be withdrawn every time I use the ATM?

- Happened to me and I got a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SeamusHollahan

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Happened to me and I got a refund.

How did you go about getting a refund? I queried Revolut about the 12c charge and this was their response:

"Irish residents spending in ireland will need to pay stamp duty on their ATM withdrawals. If they've signed up after Dec 5, they will need to pay that from when they signed up. If they signed up prior to Dec , this will be implemented Feb 5 (New T&Cs). The cost is 12c per transaction."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, I have 12c on all my atm withdrawals lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Important to note, that the 12 cent are only if you use an ATM in the republic, they are not for any transactions outside the state.

So if you get charged for using an ATM outside the state you should get them to refund it.

How did you go about getting a refund? I queried Revolut about the 12c charge and this was their response:

"Irish residents spending in ireland will need to pay stamp duty on their ATM withdrawals. If they've signed up after Dec 5, they will need to pay that from when they signed up. If they signed up prior to Dec , this will be implemented Feb 5 (New T&Cs). The cost is 12c per transaction."

I used BOI LATM on Dec 6 2016 and was charged 12 cent. It was refunded January 5 2017. I did not contact Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 tsiklon

I just tried withdrawing dollars from a US atm. Near the end of the transaction the atm showed a warning of an exchange rate from GBP/Dollars. This is despite having loaded the card with dollars beforehand.

At this point I cancelled the transaction as I wasn't sure if this was normal.

Is this normal for the Revolut card?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SeamusHollahan

I used BOI LATM on Dec 6 2016 and was charged 12 cent. It was refunded January 5 2017. I did not contact Revolut.

I'd say if you tried it now...there would be no refund!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You were charged in error as an existing user before the new T&Cs kicked in (when Revolut absorbed the cost). I made a few ATM withdrawals in ROI ATMs in January and wasn't charged.

Since the beginning of February, we're all subject to being charged this stamp duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

tsiklon wrote: »
    I just tried withdrawing dollars from a US atm. Near the end of the transaction the atm showed a warning of an exchange rate from GBP/Dollars. This is despite having loaded the card with dollars beforehand.

At this point I cancelled the transaction as I wasn't sure if this was normal.

Is this normal for the Revolut card?

Looks like the ATM you used wants to charge you in £ (Card currency) which some ATM providers try to do for your benefit, in reality it's a scam as it's offering a bad rate and most banks will still charge foreign transaction charges.

What ATM / bank was that.

Try again with a different ATM and make sure, you get charged in $ by declining being charged in any other currency or accepting an exchange offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 zamadar

Hey all,
    I have blank page after trying to enter security details on MasterCard webpage afterr trying to add top up card from EBS . Never had problems with AIB but don't have AIB card anymore. Anyway to solve it or i have to transfer money all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement