Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Trying to book a hotel in agoda and they want to know who the issuing bank is for the card?? What do I put down "revolut" "optimal payments" ??

Thanks

Was asked that when booking airline tickets in the 'States before - I said it was Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Was asked that when booking airline tickets in the 'States before - I said it was Revolut.

"Paysafe financial services limited" is what I put down. That's what it said on the Revolut app. Don't think it makes a different what you put down as long as the card number is correct. I could have put issued by Micky Mouse and it still would have gone through Im sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just got confirmation from support that the current version of the app no longer supports top-up via Android Pay but they're working on restoring it. I wonder what happened there.

Just tried to pay at an irish point of sale and it defaulted to gbp (my account is irish and topped up with euro only). I know this has come up here before but cant remember what the fix is??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Has anyone had a problem using this card with their online gambling account?

I read in the T&Cs that 'unlawful gambling' is not allowed but an account with one of the main online bookmakers isn't 'unlawful'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Alanhooly wrote: »

I read in the T&Cs that 'unlawful gambling' is not allowed but an account with one of the main online bookmakers isn't 'unlawful'?

Doesn't work on any gambling sites. Even trying to use it on lottery.ie gets declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Alanhooly wrote: »

I use mine on betfair without any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

j4vier wrote: »
    I use mine on betfair without any problems

Any issues withdrawing on it? I remember having problems with a previous MasterCard years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Dodge wrote: »
    Any issues withdrawing on it? I remember having problems with a previous MasterCard years ago

I did 1 withdrawal about 1 month ago, it took 4-5 days to be processed into my account

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

hi there just opened a Revolut account.
    will go to UK and Poland in the coming weeks and wanted to take advantage of the no-fee exchange rates (I also have N26 so I might use it as well)

Was wandering: I won't have enough time to get the physical card. if I get a virtual one, can I use the phone to pay contacteless in London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

pasquale83 wrote: »
    Was wandering: I won't have enough time to get the physical card. if I get a virtual one, can I use the phone to pay contacteless in London?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Just tried to pay at an irish point of sale and it defaulted to gbp (my account is irish and topped up with euro only). I know this has come up here before but cant remember what the fix is??

Occasionally you are given the option to pay in GBP or local currency (EUR). The merchant should not have selected GBP without giving you the choice.

If you are offered the choice of paying in a different currency that local currency it means the merchants terminal will do the currency conversion (usually at a very unfavourable rate) so you should always decline and pay in local currency - ie EUR in Ireland, GBP in UK, USD in US etc.

msmx5 wrote: »
    Occasionally you are given the option to pay in GBP or local currency (EUR). The merchant should not have selected GBP without giving you the choice.

If you are offered the choice of paying in a different currency that local currency it means the merchants terminal will do the currency conversion (usually at a very unfavourable rate) so you should always decline and pay in local currency - ie EUR in Ireland, GBP in UK, USD in US etc.

That's the thing, though. I wasn't given the option to pay in GBP or local currency. I was used to this option when I spent 6 months in the 'States last year - it would always come up - and I would always decline the option.

However, this was a transaction that took place in Ireland - locally - close to where the registered address for the cardholder (me) is located. I don't understand how the terminal would have come up with this in the first instance? Local card (associated with ROI address), funds held via Revolut account ONLY in euro and bill received in euro?

I queried this - and she didn't seem to be aware of the problem. I got her to cancel the transaction and gave her my PTSB visa debit card instead. This processed in euro (as it should) and I paid on that basis.

If this was a terminal issue, would I not be faced with the same issue via the PTSB visa debit card?

Is there any chance this is Revolut trying to build in an unnatural margin?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

However, this was a transaction that took place in Ireland - locally - close to where the registered address for the cardholder (me) is located. I don't understand how the terminal would have come up with this in the first instance? Local card (associated with ROI address), funds held via Revolut account ONLY in euro and bill received in euro?

I think the issues is that the terminal recognised the Revolut card as a UK card (as Revolut are UK based). The terminal then gave an option or perhaps defaulted to the "home" currency of the issuing bank / GBP.

Your PTSB card is coded as an Irish card with EUR as the default currency so terminal didn't offer to do currency exchange for you.

I normally only use the Revolut card abroad, but on the few occasions I've used it in Ireland there have been one or two offers to pay in GBP - i was surprised the cashiers didn't bat an eyelid and offered me the option, must be common for tourists.

I think you took the right option, cancelling the transaction without completing it and using another card.

I doubt its as a result of any funny business by Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

dohouchFeb 14
    Happened to me today. The amount to pay was €28.
    I pressed the green button and it went through as £25.05 which is rate of 0.899827, todays rate is 0.846378.

My Euro Revolut account was charged €29.69

H E R E Revolut Community

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I have a account, just trying it out, two questions on it:

1/
    Does anybody have any hard data on how much of a saving you might be making? I put a GBP transaction through on my BOI Mastercard of £37.01.
    I can see that in my pending CC transactions as €42.47 charged on the Sat 18th.
    I took a screen capture of the Revolut on the Sun 19th and €37.01 would have cost me €42.48. Assuming they use the same rates on exchange as they do for credit card charges and assuming there's no major swing in rates Sat to Sun, there's no material saving here. Am I missing something?
    XJwn9cq.png

2/
    What are people using the exchange functionality for? I can see what it does but can't think of a situation in which anybody would use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

This has been discussed before, you will find detailed answer in previous posts.

Over the weekend, they are using a fixed rate set Friday night when the currency markets close, which is why on weekend you might not see any savings and sometimes even worse rates than with other providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What are people using the exchange functionality for? I can see what it does but can't think of a situation in which anybody would use it?

Convert EURO to GBP when the rate is lowest to guarantee that's the amount you pay when the transaction is requested from the vendor.

e.g. you may order something on Amazon.co.uk, but you don't get charged until it's actually put out for delivery, which could be several days after you make the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I have accounts in sterling and euro and travel frequently from the eurozone to the UK. My primary account is in Euro (salary paid in etc) but frequently have to top up a sterling account, e.g. to pay a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SeamusHollahan

Hi all, just back from a weekend away and can confirm that revolut doesn't work for Ryanair in flight purchases. Both my partner and I used are cards but came up with an error. Just thought i'd let everyone know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Hi all, just back from a weekend away and can confirm that revolut doesn't work for Ryanair in flight purchases. Both my partner and I used are cards but came up with an error. Just thought i'd let everyone know!

Good to know thanks, Did you book the flight with the card?

Good to know thanks, Did you book the flight with the card?

Hi, no, i booked flight through regular credit card. I only used the revolut card on the flight out of habit, i had another debit card as backup so wasn't a big deal. On a positive note, i used the revolut card in quite a few restaurants, bars and cafes in portugal and had no problems at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Used it many times on ryanair flights without any problem..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You have any of the security settings enabled while trying to use mid air? Might have caused an issue.

You have any of the security settings enabled while trying to use mid air? Might have caused an issue.

I have "disable magstipe payments" and "location based security enabled", might be that then? I would have done same for my partners card.. I'm imagining it couldn't get a fix on GPS co-ordinates, hence the card was refused. Anyway hopefully helpful to anyone else who encounters this..

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I have a account, just trying it out, two questions on it:

1/
    Does anybody have any hard data on how much of a saving you might be making? I put a GBP transaction through on my BOI Mastercard of £37.01.
    I can see that in my pending CC transactions as €42.47 charged on the Sat 18th.
    I took a screen capture of the Revolut on the Sun 19th and €37.01 would have cost me €42.48. Assuming they use the same rates on exchange as they do for credit card charges and assuming there's no major swing in rates Sat to Sun, there's no material saving here. Am I missing something?

As already said, you get a less favourable rate over the weekend so if you're going to be doing any spending over the weekend, use the 'exchange' function in advance to secure the best rate.

Also bear in mind, your pending CC transaction is just the estimated euro value of the transaction at the exchange rate applicable when the transaction occurred.

The rate it's actually converted at won't be known until the transaction finalises in a few days and at that point the bank's currency conversion fees will be added too so the final amount will be higher than what's showing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone find refunds are iffy with Revolut?

Pretty sure this is my 2nd time chasing a refund that didn't appear after 14 days, and the last time it was Revolut that was the problem. Had to contact live support to activate the refund.

You have no way of telling if the seller didn't bother refunding you or if it's an issue on Revoluts end.

On how much it costs/saves. A friend loaded $500 on his An Post currency card last week and it cost €485. Same time it cost €470 if he had done it on Revolut (currently 464)

I received my first payment into my Revolut Sterling account earlier. Happy to receive that instant notification too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

Stamp Duty is now being charged on ATM withdrawals, €0.12 per withdrawal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement