Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Quackster wrote: »
    As already said, you get a less favourable rate over the weekend so if you're going to be doing any spending over the weekend, use the 'exchange' function in advance to secure the best rate.

The rate it's actually converted at won't be known until the transaction finalises in a few days and at that point the bank's currency conversion fees will be added too so the final amount will be higher than what's showing now.

Yes, Apart from the weekend "spread" you are correct the BOI €42.47 was possibly a "pending" transaction. I've found (with AIB) they often settle at a higher value - possible that the pending value doesn't include the 1.75% FEX fee which is applied when the transaction finalises.

Wonder what the rate actually ended up being?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Remove-Misread post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Revolut has launched a premium version: https://revolut.com/premium

It offers

Premium Card in 3 designs (Currently not available, to be send soon)
    GLOBAL MEDICAL INSURANCE see https://revolut.com/premium-terms
    UNLIMITED INTERBANK FX
    2X ATM WITHDRAWAL LIMIT speak £400/€400
    GLOBAL EXPRESS DELIVERY within 3 working days
    EXCLUSIVE 24/7 SUPPORT

And it costs £ 6.99 a month!

Interesting price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

It offers

UNLIMITED INTERBANK FX
    EXCLUSIVE 24/7 SUPPORT

Interesting price point.

2X ATM WITHDRAWAL LIMIT is still very low for a premium product. N26 Black has unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

7.99 in euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It offers

UNLIMITED INTERBANK FX
    EXCLUSIVE 24/7 SUPPORT

Interesting price point.

hmm... cheap health insurance, or is there a catch?

mrcheez wrote: »
    hmm... cheap health insurance, or is there a catch?

I would not call that health insurance, it's a very basic Overseas emergency medical assistance & expenses insurance.

Consult the T&C to see what you get: https://revolut.com/premium-terms#travel-insurance

I would not call that health insurance!

Consult the T&C to see what you get: https://revolut.com/premium-terms#travel-insurance

ah it's Travel Insurance, so "Global" means "everywhere, except where you live" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Quackster wrote: »
    Also bear in mind, your pending CC transaction is just the estimated euro value of the transaction at the exchange rate applicable when the transaction occurred.

The rate it's actually converted at won't be known until the transaction finalises in a few days and at that point the bank's currency conversion fees will be added too so the final amount will be higher than what's showing now.
    msmx5 wrote: »
    Yes, Apart from the weekend "spread" you are correct the BOI €42.47 was possibly a "pending" transaction. I've found (with AIB) they often settle at a higher value - possible that the pending value doesn't include the 1.75% FEX fee which is applied when the transaction finalises.

Wonder what the rate actually ended up being?

Good points, checked again and the finalised transaction was a bit more expensive, €43.55. So Revolut would have been a bit cheaper at €42.48.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

ok i know there is a charge for atm withdrawal but is the revolut card free in shops?

• Advertisement

Bob Z wrote: »
    oknow there is a charge for atm withdrawal but is the atm free in shops?

ATM's independent of their location are charged if you go over the 200€ monthly limit and if the ATM is located in Ireland you are also charged the 12 cent tax.

If you mean cashback at the check-out than in theory you should not see a charge, however I don't know if you can use the Revolut card for cash-back, have not tried. Maybe someone else can report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

oknow there is a charge for atm withdrawal but is the atm free in shops?

ATM's independent of their location are charged if you go over the 200€ monthly limit and if the ATM is located in Ireland you are also charged the 12 cent tax.

If you mean cashback at the check-out than in theory you should not see a charge, however I don't know if you can use the Revolut card for cash-back, have not tried. Maybe someone else can report?
    no worded it wrong what i mean is if i use it in a shp to buy grcoceries is there a charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

no worded it wrong what i mean is if i use it in a shp to buy grcoceries is there a charge?

No.

As long as your monthly total cross currency transactions are below £5000 (or currency equivalent) it's free.

If you spend more than that cross currency (and that is card spend and/or bank transfer spend) than you would pay a 0.5% fee for any spend above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SeamusHollahan

Hi guys, can anyone answer this problem i'm experiencing with revolut. I'm going to be shopping in asda tomorrow in strabane, because the rate is fixed in over the weekend and may not get a great rate on the sterling, i'm going to exchange 100 euro worth of sterling and have that in my sterling "wallet" within revolut. The problem i'm experiencing though is when i pay for something with the card say in asda, it will take from the euro wallet as there is more cash in that and not from the sterling i bought the previous day and not stored in the sterling wallet.
    Is there any way to tell revolut to take the cash out of the sterling wallet? Currently i have to withdraw the sterling from the ATM and pay by cash.

Cheers
    Seamo

Hi guys, can anyone answer this problem i'm experiencing with revolut. I'm going to be shopping in asda tomorrow in strabane, because the rate is fixed in over the weekend and may not get a great rate on the sterling, i'm going to exchange 100 euro worth of sterling and have that in my sterling "wallet" within revolut. The problem i'm experiencing though is when i pay for something with the card say in asda, it will take from the euro wallet as there is more cash in that and not from the sterling i bought the previous day and not stored in the sterling wallet.
    Is there any way to tell revolut to take the cash out of the sterling wallet? Currently i have to withdraw the sterling from the ATM and pay by cash.

Cheers
    Seamo

Weird, in my experience with online shopping, it always took the funds from the GBP balance first, before looking at the EURO balance if the GBP wasn't sufficient.
    (note it can't take a portion of the payment from the GBP and the balance from the EURO, you have to have the full amount in GBP in order to use it)

Have you asked the staff to charge you in GBP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Cheers
    Seamo

Not a particularly elegant solution, but can you temporarily send your euro balance back to your bank so that there's no choice but to take the sterling? Failing that, just take the sterling out of the ATM outside Asda (assuming it's working - it doesn't always)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

Cheers
    Seamo

Sounds like a bug to me. I would contact Revolut.

The below is taken from the Revolut FAQ. It suggests your GBP account should be charged first providing sufficient funds are available.
    https://revolut.com/faq

What balance will my Revolut card use when I am abroad?

Your Revolut account can hold a balance in EUR, GBP and USD. The card selects which balance to use in the following order:

The local currency of the merchant/ATM e.g. if you are in the U.K. it will use GBP, your base currency (for a UK resident this would be GBP, if you are within the Eurozone this will be EUR and anywhere else will be USD).

You need to have sufficient funds in one single balance in order to make a transaction. If you don’t have enough funds in the balance of the local currency, it will default to your next largest balance and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I got the physical card (in the mail) , but then i read here the cvc and expiry date changes (my payment was being declined) , so i logged out and back in again and my card is grey, with no numbers on it Just my name. So do i lose the virtual card when i get the physical one ?

Delivery of a physical card now costs €6 for new customers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Delivery of a physical card now costs €6 for new customers?
    what was it?

It used to be free. And you need a minimum top up of a tenner now as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

Is Revolut tied to the phone app you use?

The sim card receptacle on my phone is damaged. It can't read a sim & no longer works as a phone. But it still works with wifi. Other apps are getting updates with wifi.
    Revolut is not updating any transactions since the damage and I cannot exchange currencies.
    Solution?

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

rabjoshu wrote: »
    Is Revolut tied to the phone app you use?

The sim card receptacle on my phone is damaged. It can't read a sim & no longer works as a phone. But it still works with wifi. Other apps are getting updates with wifi.
    Revolut is not updating any transactions since the damage and I cannot exchange currencies.
    Solution?

You'll probably need to switch to a device that has a working SIM. See the FAQ "What if I lose my Phone" or "Can I change my mobile number" -https://revolut.com/faq to contact Support

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kennek1

I am going travelling around Asia for 8 months. I am wondering can both of us transfer money from our Irish card to top up the revoult card? We were planning on using one of these cards for our flights, accomadation and anything else which is joint.

Kennek1 wrote: »
    I am going travelling around Asia for 8 months. I am wondering can both of us transfer money from our Irish card to top up the revoult card? We were planning on using one of these cards for our flights, accomadation and anything else which is joint.

No.

Cards used to top up should be in the name of the account owner.

Bank transfers Payments to revolut in € continue to have the requirements that the sender account is in the same name as the Revolut account.

Only payments in £ to the "current account" details can be from anybody.

So your workaround could be to both create a revolut account, load and than transfer between the accounts with the inbuild transfer to other people functions.

Also never put all your eggs into one basket, having a second credit/debit card with you would be wise.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Kennek1 wrote: »

Both of you set up your own Revolut accounts on your phones and each top up your own account.

If you want all the spending to come from one Revolut account, you can transfer funds from one to the other instantly for free.

Still though, both of you should order physical cards to have back up in case one is lost or malfunctions and to reduce ATM charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Question for the Revolut wizards here:

I'm a Revolut virgin so please don't shoot.

About to purchase something on EBAY and then parcel wizard-ing it to Dublin. It's 185STG with free shipping. I know its only a few quid but better in my pocket that the banks. Only option for payment is paypal or ring them with alternative card details.

If I top-up from my AIB account and then convert to STG and then ring them with the card details, is this the correct process? (If I transfer in STG (easier) I guess I will be charged a conversion fee by AIB?)
    Will it be an issue that I do not have a UK address for the card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

dodzy wrote: »
    If I top-up from my AIB account and then convert to STG and then ring them with the card details, is this the correct process? (If I transfer in STG (easier) I guess I will be charged a conversion fee by AIB?)
    Will it be an issue that I do not have a UK address for the card?

Never top up your card in a currency your bank account isn't in, always use the account currency, as the bank will use unfavourable rates and charge commission. You don't need to convert to STG on the app unless you plan on making the transaction at the weekend, and that's just so you lock in the good rates before the markets close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I've my revolut card setup on PayPal. Was very easy to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement