Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I've my revolut card setup on PayPal. Was very easy to do so.
    They (paypal) still take their fee though if you set up on paypal, no? (A fee that I could avoid if I ring them and pay directly with the card?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

dodzy wrote: »
    They (paypal) still take their fee though if you set up on paypal, no? (A fee that I could avoid if I ring them and pay directly with the card?)

You don't pay any fee the seller does.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ArdLix11

Anyone sign up to the new premium service? Not that big a user but am very interested in the opportunity to be one of the first 5000 subscribers to be able to invest in their crowdfunding drive. Anyone have any thoughts? From reading up on it there seems to be a lot of interest from investors. Could be an opportunity to make a few hundred euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

dodzy wrote: »

Yeah always use Revolut through Paypal if you can.

Paypal will reimburse you quickly if you encounter any issues, whereas Revolut might take a good bit longer.

Think of it as free insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Only payments in £ to the "current account" details can be from anybody.

That's not entirely true. Even though - since version 3.7- the app and the website/blog tells me that all Revolut users have a GBP current account, when I got a paid for a short term contract in the UK and asked them to credit it to my fairly new Revolut account, I got a message from Revolut telling me they would send the funds back to where they came from.

Their (feckin useless) customer service insisted that only UK residents can benefit from this, unless you happened to slip through the net before they changed the rules (but not the website :rolleyes:) with v3.8. Feckin useless customer service spent two days telling me I had to send copies of the third party's bank account showing the transaction before they'd refund it :mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Their (feckin useless) customer service insisted that only UK residents can benefit from this, unless you happened to slip through the net before they changed the rules (but not the website :rolleyes:) with v3.8. Feckin useless customer service spent two days telling me I had to send copies of the third party's bank account showing the transaction before they'd refund it :mad:.
    That puts an entirely different spin on it entirely. They should have clarified this from the get-go. It's much less an offering that was originally believed on the back of this info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That's not entirely true. Even though - since version 3.7- the app and the website/blog tells me that all Revolut users have a GBP current account, when I got a paid for a short term contract in the UK and asked them to credit it to my fairly new Revolut account, I got a message from Revolut telling me they would send the funds back to where they came from.

That would be devastating news.

Payments to the dedicated account/sort code visible in the app should not be subject to any restrictions, only payments to the common account.

If you get shown your own account/sort code in the App than there should not be a problem. Lets see what happens if one of my payments get's returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I received 'third party' money through the Sterling account on Tuesday. I'm resident here

I'm hoping this doesn't change as it's a pretty big deal for me. Glad I didn't close my Fire account now. Won't be able to check Revolut until 3 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

They have stopped offering the individual UK accounts to non-UK residents for the last couple of weeks at least.

Whoever activated it before the rules changed will most probably be able to keep using it without any problem.

The option to activate it disappeared with app v3.8 while 'their payment processor changed it due to their procedures, but they are working on it so that they will be able to offer it again to all clients', was their response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Payments to the dedicated account/sort code visible in the app should not be subject to any restrictions, only payments to the common account.

If you get shown your own account/sort code in the App than there should not be a problem.
    Dodge wrote: »
    I received 'third party' money through the Sterling account on Tuesday. I'm resident here

You guys are obviously some of those who managed to get through the "window of opportunity". Unfortunately, I blinked and missed it. Version 3.7 showed me personalised details, but I was distracted getting other paperwork in place for my UK work.
    inel wrote: »
    Whoever activated it before the rules changed will most probably be able to keep using it without any problem.

The option to activate it disappeared with app v3.8 while 'their payment processor changed it due to their procedures, but they are working on it so that they will be able to offer it again to all clients', was their response.

That's what happened to me - next time I logged on, I was upgraded to v.3.8, got a "What's new?" pop up telling me that all customers had individual accounts, thought nothing more about it and gave the "local" bank details to the company paying me.

Last week, when the wheels came off I uninstalled the app and downloaded it again (v.4.0.2). Same welcome message telling me that I could receive salary and other third party payments. Four different people at customer service couldn't get their heads around the inconsistency between the in-app and blog/website information (all Revolut customers - no exceptions!) and them telling me that it was for GB residents only ...

If I hadn't already credited euros to the account (which they lost) and paid 6€ for the card, I wouldn't use them again. But I've got at least three more contracts in this year in the UK, so it'd still be handy. Hopefully they'll get the current account sorted out sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

A work around I was going to use may help some of you. You can get paid via Fire Account, and then transfer that to your Revolut account (bank transfer) to avoid any currency charges with Fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I was wondering why the option disappeared to open a £ Current Account. Not impressed with how Revolut handled this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

when ever i try to top up it ask me to add a card but when i do add a card either manually or by nfc or by camera nothing happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I could not top up, eventually it said I have reached my top up limit this year of €11 and that i need to verify.
    So, i redid the whole passport thing, and it did not lift the limit.
    I did it again and used my ID card. Nothing happened.
    I had tried from 6:2pm on Monday until 8:45pm to contact a live agent.
    Tuesday Morning at 6:30am I had a message saying that my verification failed and then at 7:50am "There has not been a reply for a long time, i will close this chat fairly soon"...
    :mad:
    I could not get through to anyone on Tuesday either, so gave up.
    So i tried again today, and they are still experiencing a high volume, so there are long delays.
    I can not use the card, it can not verify my IDs and there is no support....... :(
    Nearly 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

@Suckit: Although I have not used it for quite some time, their online support function is rubbish most of the time (unless it has changed in the last year). Try emailing them instead => support@revolut.com

It won't be any faster - but at least you have an actual record of communications - and can attach documentation if it's an account verification issue that's at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I might just give up. It is atrocious. I do not think it is worth it, thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i topped up yesterday how long before it shows up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Suckit wrote: »
    I could not top up, eventually it said I have reached my top up limit this year of €11 and that i need to verify.
    So, i redid the whole passport thing, and it did not lift the limit.
    I did it again and used my ID card. Nothing happened.
    I had tried from 6:2pm on Monday until 8:45pm to contact a live agent.
    Tuesday Morning at 6:30am I had a message saying that my verification failed and then at 7:50am "There has not been a reply for a long time, i will close this chat fairly soon"...
    :mad:
    I could not get through to anyone on Tuesday either, so gave up.
    So i tried again today, and they are still experiencing a high volume, so there are long delays.
    I can not use the card, it can not verify my IDs and there is no support....... :(
    Nearly 4 days.

On the limit, by any chance would you have activated it in error via the app?

My one query with support was answered pretty quickly. Perhaps because it was straight forward and didn't require too much effort but I was impressed at the time

You could also post on the community page. Their agents answer queries there too

https://community.revolut.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Does anyone know if the cash withdrawal limit is monthly per calendar or within a 30 day period? I pulled out £200 the last time i was up north a few weeks ago but I'm up again next week. It's still within 30 days but it's a different calendar month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Bob Z wrote: »
    i topped up yesterday how long before it shows up?

My top ups are instant. Best get on to support to check.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Jayop wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the cash withdrawal limit is monthly per calendar or within a 30 day period? I pulled out £200 the last time i was up north a few weeks ago but I'm up again next week. It's still within 30 days but it's a different calendar month.

I'm pretty sure it's per calendar month or at least that's what I've been assuming and haven't clocked up any ATM charges yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Can somebody clarify, i put lets say 100 euros into my account and make 100 -€1 transactions via chip and pin. This cost me nothing while aib charge something like 20/30 cents.???
    So essentially this should be used to avoid all pos sales fees? Also is there a limit on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

bpb101 wrote: »
    Can somebody clarify, i put lets say 100 euros into my account and make 100 -€1 transactions via chip and pin. This cost me nothing while aib charge something like 20/30 cents.???
    So essentially this should be used to avoid all poi sales fees? Also is there a limit on this?

Yes, no charges.

Limit of something like 5k a month card spend? Then there's a fee.

Limit of 200 ATM withdrawals a month.

Read the FAQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Yes, no charges.

Limit of something like 5k a month card spend? Then there's a fee.

Limit of 200 ATM withdrawals a month.

Read the FAQ.
    Thanks
    Couldnt see anything about a pos fee.

When i have 5k to spend, ill take out a second account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

bpb101 wrote: »
    Thanks
    Couldnt see anything about a pos fee.

When i have 5k to spend, ill take out a second account :D

Just watch out for the idiot sales assistant that accept the sterling transaction ... This has happed a few times anoying ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Apologies if this has been answered,
    If I block my Revolut card that I got at the start will the new replacement issued be a wireless card? (original wasn't) and will the new card have the same card number? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yes.

Different card number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Has anyone been the victim of fraud with their cards? somebody tried to take out different amounts from an atm during the weekend, my card must have been skimmed or something. I've since blocked it and made contact with support.

Luckily the account was empty, but I'm wondering would Revolut reimbursed me if there was money in my account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Has anyone been the victim of fraud with their cards? somebody tried to take out different amounts from an atm during the weekend, my card must have been skimmed or something. I've since blocked it and made contact with support.

Luckily the account was empty, but I'm wondering would Revolut reimbursed me if there was money in my account?

I don't think it's covered by the fraud guarantee like other cards. I rarely keep anything more than about 100 euro in mine for just such reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement