Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Contact Amazon.

Otherwise, contact Revolut and see what they can do.

Otherwise, cancel your revolut card and re-order one with a new number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

Contact Amazon.

Otherwise, contact Revolut and see what they can do.

Otherwise, cancel your revolut card and re-order one with a new number

Have done all three. New card arrived this morning. Changed passwords on amazon. No outstanding orders. Still two transactions appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone getting rogue payment requests in their accounts?

I'm regularly getting two from amazon.de (where I've used the card) on the same day. 54.65 & 53.85. I've checked amazon and there's no orders pending, I've changed the passwords there so I think it's being used as a fraudulent name for the charge item.

There's only €10 in my account so both transactions always fail, but I'm concerned that if I do go to use it in the future that this charge will go through when I top up.

I've just got a replacement card from them this morning and yet again the charges appear this afternoon. My card is currently on hold in my app.

Amazon should be able to tell you why they are charging your card.

If the charges appear despite the card number no longer be valid it could be one of two common things:

a.) Amazon and Revolut are participating in the continued charge authority process in which revolut allows revolut to charge your new card number associated to your account. That's a service which is supposed to help in case of subscription payments. A useful service but I did not know that paysafe (the card issuer) actually supports it.

b.) These charge actually relate to an old order and revolut never took the funds from your account and now they noticed the issue and take the money from your wallet (not your card). This is something that was pointed out a while ago with charges / credits issue with the wallet. Refunds were double, charged did not happen etc. Sooner or later revolut needs to consolidate the payments.

I would go back through your order list and check if you had charges similar to those amounts in past and if all your amazon charges actually were taken from your revolut wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Anyone getting rogue payment requests in their accounts?

I'm regularly getting two from amazon.de (where I've used the card) on the same day. 54.65 & 53.85. I've checked amazon and there's no orders pending, I've changed the passwords there so I think it's being used as a fraudulent name for the charge item.

There's only €10 in my account so both transactions always fail, but I'm concerned that if I do go to use it in the future that this charge will go through when I top up.

I've just got a replacement card from them this morning and yet again the charges appear this afternoon. My card is currently on hold in my app.

Have you a subscription of any kind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

Amazon should be able to tell you why they are charging your card.

If the charges appear despite the card number no longer be valid it could be one of two common things:

a.) Amazon and Revolut are participating in the continued charge authority process in which revolut allows revolut to charge your new card number associated to your account. That's a service which is supposed to help in case of subscription payments. A useful service but I did not know that paysafe (the card issuer) actually supports it.

b.) These charge actually relate to an old order and revolut never took the funds from your account and now they noticed the issue and take the money from your wallet (not your card). This is something that was pointed out a while ago with charges / credits issue with the wallet. Refunds were double, charged did not happen etc. Sooner or later revolut needs to consolidate the payments.

I would go back through your order list and check if you had charges similar to those amounts in past and if all your amazon charges actually were taken from your revolut wallet.
    bromley52 wrote: »
    Have you a subscription of any kind?

No subscriptions, have no historic transactions for these amounts - in fact I've only ever bought two things on there.

Amazon.de are currently looking into it. The thinking is that it might be someone using amazon.de & amazon EU as identifier fraudently. There were two more today on the old card number even though the card has been cancelled & replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

hey lads,

Moving to canada for 3 months? does this charge me for withdrawing money at an atm? If I put 2k euro in, do they charge me when I do a pay for something?

any tips ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

DaraDali wrote: »
    hey lads,

Moving to canada for 3 months? does this charge me for withdrawing money at an atm? If I put 2k euro in, do they charge me when I do a pay for something?

https://revolut.com/faq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

No subscriptions, have no historic transactions for these amounts - in fact I've only ever bought two things on there.

Amazon.de are currently looking into it. The thinking is that it might be someone using amazon.de & amazon EU as identifier fraudently. There were two more today on the old card number even though the card has been cancelled & replaced.

Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

DaraDali wrote: »
    hey lads,

any tips ?

I wouldn't be putting 2k on it and leaving it sit there. Leave the 2k in your Irish bank and top up the Revolut as and when you need it.

Revolut is probe to fraud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

adam88 wrote: »

Revolut is probe to fraud

That's a big statement there, I presume you have something to back it up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

BuffyBot wrote: »
    That's a big statement there, I presume you have something to back it up with?

I've had up to 1500 euro worth of rogue atm withdrawals attempted on my revolut card a few weeks back, luckily I only keep 10 euro or so on the card.

Revolut said there would have been nothing they could have done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've had up to 1500 euro worth of rogue atm withdrawals attempted on my revolut card a few weeks back, luckily I only keep 10 euro or so on the card.

Revolut said there would have been nothing they could have done about it.

That *doesn't* really prove the point. Fraud happens with all card providers. The poster made a pretty specific implication that Revolut was more prone than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Over the years I've had attempted fraud on three separate bank accounts. The fact that fraud happens is not evidence that it is "prone" to fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Over the years I've had attempted fraud on three separate bank accounts. The fact that fraud happens is not evidence that it is "prone" to fraud.

Is it not a question of what they do and how they respond in the event of fraud? Do they offer the same protections? I know that there have been suggestions that they don't but I would have thought that the underlying scheme to which they adhere to (mastercard) would have a standard template/policy to follow in this regard.

I once had a bank stoically insist that I couldn't effect a chargeback on a visa debit card because it was a visa debit card. I went round them - and contacted visa europe - who informed me that this was bs - and brought me up to speed on my rights. Went back to the bank - and their argument suddenly dissolved.

Of course it is - I'm pointing out that the fact one poster has apparently had fraud issues with his card/account is not evidence that Revolut are particularly "prone" to fraud. They may well be of course, but the evidence of one poster doesn't merit such a sweeping statement.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I'm due to receive £30k and thinking if using my Revolut account (and quickly convert to € and withdraw) to avoid the exchange rate loss of settling into my € current account, is this risky (e.g. Revolut going bust?). Anyone have experience of a similar situation

Ask Revolut before you do something like this. There's likely checks involved.

Also there's a limit to how much you can exchange each month.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm due to receive £30k and thinking if using my Revolut account (and quickly convert to € and withdraw) to avoid the exchange rate loss of settling into my € current account, is this risky (e.g. Revolut going bust?). Anyone have experience of a similar situation

Changing that amount you're probably better off using an FX service such as CurrencyFair or TransferWise. Unless you need to provide a UK sterling account in your own name and you have your own Revolut UK account number.

If you do use Revolut, make absolutely sure you have your Revolut card(s) disabled while you have any significant amount sitting in your Revolut account!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Anyone having problems today? Trying 3 different atms here in London with no joy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

When travelling abroad to Asia, and making payments via the card, do you ask that they charge in the local currency or will it generally be converted to US$ before being requested from Revolut?

• Advertisement

Always local

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

I'm emigrating to Canada soon with a job sorted over there. I have a loan with aib here and money in savings to cover that loan for a year or so.

I'm wondering can I use revolut to 'send' money to my aib account to keep paying my loan off. Like 600 per month would be fine for a year or 2?

Is this possible or sensible? Or is there a better way?

I will have access to a lot of Canadian banks that are giving me very good loan rates under 3% I believe. I'm paying 4.75% with aib right now. Might make sense to just get a big Canadian loan and pay it all off? But the exchange would be a killer... It's only 18k eur loan

I don't think it's currently available in Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I don't think it's currently available in Canada.

A friend of mine has it over there ,but linked to his Irish bank account and address .
    He was using his Canadian phone number though but he told me yesterday that the login portal has changed and now only allows European numbers to be used to login.
    The result is that he cant login anymore ,he isn't happy to say the least as he can't seem to find a support email for them and the phone number is automated and obviously in app support is no good if you can't get into the app!

Well yes, if you sign up with an Irish address and connect it to a bank account it should work. I don't think that's what the poster is proposing though. My understanding is that he'll be living and working in Canada, getting paid Canadian dollars into a Canadian bank account and wants to know could be top up Revolut with his CAD and convert some of them and send them home to Ireland. I think the answer is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Zardoz wrote: »
    A friend of mine has it over there ,but linked to his Irish bank account and address .
    He was using his Canadian phone number though but he told me yesterday that the login portal has changed and now only allows European numbers to be used to login.
    The result is that he cant login anymore ,he isn't happy to say the least as he can't seem to find a support email for them and the phone number is automated and obviously in app support is no good if you can't get into the app!

Tell him to go into the forum and make a pot there. I kept my phone abroad and couldn't login. They then allowed me to login with a Thai land number

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Why doesn't your friend buy a dual SIM phone Irish number and a Canadian number... should fix.the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

has anyone managed to get get his id verfied without a passport or driving license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

noel100 wrote: »
    Why doesn't your friend buy a dual SIM phone Irish number and a Canadian number... should fix.the problem.

He had a dual sim until recently ,it broke though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement