Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Polish Zloty and Swiss Franc currencies have been added with the new update:

"You can now top up, exchange, hold, send and receive Polish Zloty and Swiss Franc in addition to UK Pounds, US Dollars and Euros.
    Your Polish Zloty and Swiss Franc pockets will automatically be created once you top up, receive or exchange money using these currencies. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So, I withdrew €200 free this month on the basic account, then signed up for Premium and got another €400 free allowance. So €600 fee-free withdrawals this month. ;)

Plus the health insurance will come in handy now as I'm about to do some trekking etc.

Will cancel it in a few days when the trip is over. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Just my opinion on support.
    Yes its not instant and ive waited several hours etc etc.
    Can also be a bit stressy when money has been held or something.

But you know what i like , they can actually fecking fix things and know what they are talking about.

Give me a two hour wait anyday over an automated call line then a call centre staff who hasnt a clue what to do and just sends you bat**** , cue 4 or 5 long frustrating phone calls and several emails etc before the simplest of queries can be resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

mrcheez wrote: »
    So, I withdrew €200 free this month on the basic account, then signed up for Premium and got another €400 free allowance. So €600 fee-free withdrawals this month. ;)

Plus the health insurance will come in handy now as I'm about to do some trekking etc.

Just remember if you ordered the premium card (instead of just updating to premium without ordering a card) you will be charged £10 for card delivery retrospective once you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

I thought that you can't cancel as it's a 12 month contract?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Amouar wrote: »
    I thought that you can't cancel as it's a 12 month contract?

First month is free and you can cancel anytime during the first month before a 12 month contract then kicks in.

If you do cancel during the first month and had ordered the premium card, you'll be charged £10 for the card and it will cease to function once you revert to a standard account.

Quackster wrote: »
    First month is free and you can cancel anytime during the first month before a 12 month contract then kicks in.

If you do cancel during the first month and had ordered the premium card, you'll be charged £10 for the card and it will cease to function once you revert to a standard account.

I didn't know that you can still use the "normal card" with the premium account. I thought that they will send the new premium card automatically when selecting premium account.

Thanks for the info!

I didn't know that you can still use the "normal card" with the premium account. I thought that they will send the new premium card automatically when selecting premium account.

Thanks for the info!

Nah didn't select to get premium card so just matter of contacting them a few days after signing up when trip is over

Nah didn't select to get premium card so just matter of contacting them a few days after signing up when trip is over

Let us know how this goes as I will be doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Anyone elses balance not updating since the latest update?

Transactions update fine but the balance isn't shifting, caused some confusion yesterday trying to pay for something when it said I had €50 on the card but actually only had €4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Made a purchase this AM in USD and it has updated my USD balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

What's the deal with sending money directly from your Revolut account to someone in your contacts list using their phone number? Would this be a reliable way of paying for stuff on for example adverts.ie, removing the need to use Paypal (therefore avoiding fees), or is it not worth taking the chance?

Paypal gives the buyer a bit more options if something goes wrong, Revolut wouldn't take any involvement in that case.

I've sold a few things on Adverts and been paid by Revolut, if both parties are happy to use it then no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

maximoose wrote: »
    Anyone elses balance not updating since the latest update?

Transactions update fine but the balance isn't shifting, caused some confusion yesterday trying to pay for something when it said I had €50 on the card but actually only had €4

Yep. I've had two orders go through yesterday and my balance hasn't moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

This card is great. I'm on a break in the UK and got the physical card. I can easily budget and top up in Euro as needed and see transactions and balance instantly in the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Wondering if any would be able to answer my question

Could you use the card at the multi currency atm at Dublin airport to get sterling notes?

Ie the machine would just charge gbp to the UK card rather than using local exchange rate.

Thanks
    W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Wondering if any would be able to answer my question

Could you use the card at the multi currency atm at Dublin airport to get sterling notes?

Ie the machine would just charge gbp to the UK card rather than using local exchange rate.

Thanks
    W

I've used the multi currency machine in T2 recently to withdraw sterling on the revolut card.

The machine just deducted the withdrawal amount from the sterling balance.

I did get charged 12 cent stamp duty for using the card which was deducted from the small euro balance which was left on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

My balance doesn't get updated for some time (like say for upto 1hour to overnight) after the purchase. This is happening to me like for others here, after I updated the app to the latest version.

mac.in wrote: »
    My balance doesn't get updated for some time (like say for upto 1hour to overnight) after the purchase. This is happening to me like for others here, after I updated the app to the latest version.

I've tried reporting the bug to support but they haven't a clue what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

Only since the latest update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Bought an item from a site for UK site for €20.98 cents, I used my revolut card with paypal and my card was charged €21.76? What happened here? My paypal receipt says €20.98 so did revolut charge me for the transaction?

• Advertisement

Bought an item from a site for UK site for €20.98 cents, I used my revolut card with paypal and my card was charged €21.76? What happened here? My paypal receipt says €20.98 so did revolut charge me for the transaction?

PayPal sees your Revolut card as a UK card and therefore 'helpfully' automatically converts your transaction to sterling at an extortionate rate unless you step in and stop it doing so.

You can only do this by being logged into your PayPal account I think so basically never complete a PayPal purchase as a guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Quackster wrote: »
    PayPal sees your Revolut card as a UK card and therefore 'helpfully' automatically converts your transaction to sterling at an extortionate rate unless you step in and stop it doing so.

You can only do this by being logged into your PayPal account I think so basically never complete a PayPal purchase as a guest.

I was logged into my account though :|

I was logged into my account though :|

It still defaults to applying its own currency conversion unless you manually undo it during the checkout process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Negative_G wrote: »
    I've used the multi currency machine in T2 recently to withdraw sterling on the revolut card.

The machine just deducted the withdrawal amount from the sterling balance.

I did get charged 12 cent stamp duty for using the card which was deducted from the small euro balance which was left on the card.

Is that 12 cent stamp duty a new thing from Revolut? I havent used the atm function in a long time in Ireland, but I dont recall seeing a 12 cent stamp duty on it either, back when i did use it?
    Is it to a max of 5 euro in one year?

Is that 12 cent stamp duty a new thing from Revolut? I havent used the atm function in a long time in Ireland, but I dont recall seeing a 12 cent stamp duty on it either, back when i did use it?
    Is it to a max of 5 euro in one year?

I think they had been adsorbing it themselves up until a few months ago.

Max of €2.50/€5.00 a year depending on whether or not you used it for purchases as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i was caught by paypal before cost 25 cent on a 5er, i got onto revolt support which said to
    go to paypal and go to payments section
    select pre approved payments
    select funding sources
    click conversion options next to the card
    select bill me in the currency listed on the sellers invoice

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Paypal recognises the card as 'Sterling card' and by default applies the conversion at its own rate if the payment is being made in non-sterling. You have to cancel this so that the Revolut takes care of the exchange rates. You have an option in Paypal called 'currency conversion options' where you can let the card issuer do the currency conversion and not the paypal.

Pictures here might help further.
    418158.png

Let us know how this goes as I will be doing the same.

As (bad) luck would have it I get to test out whether the travel insurance health cover is up to much now too. Just back from hospital :/

Nothing too serious I think but will be interesting to see if they cover the bill

Just back from the US. Used my Revolut card as the only payment method. Didn't withdraw any money and only used the card as it was accepted everywhere including taxis. The only thing that I found weird is that almost all transactions didn't require a PIN code.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hope you're ok and the insurance works out for you.
    As (bad) luck would have it I get to test out whether the travel insurance health cover is up to much now too. Just back from hospital :/

Nothing too serious I think but will be interesting to see if they cover the bill

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement