Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Amouar wrote: »
    Just back from the US. Used my Revolut card as the only payment method. Didn't withdraw any money and only used the card as it was accepted everywhere including taxis. The only thing that I found weird is that almost all transactions didn't require a PIN code.

Yanks don't Use chip and pins. They swipe the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

bpb101 wrote: »
    Yanks don't Use chip and pins. They swipe the card

Or they do CHIP + Signature now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Or they do CHIP + Signature now.
    Its mad when you think about how backwards they are with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

So basically who ever steals your card can use it anywhere as no PIN code is required.

Amouar wrote: »
    So basically who ever steals your card can use it anywhere as no PIN code is required.

Yup just as with swipe + signature.

CHIP + Signature is only protecting against someone cloning the magstrip of your card.

It's backwards for European customers but the US credit card industry did not see that the cost of moving to a chip + pin was worth spending as the amount of credit card fraud expected to happen with chip + signature was less than the implementation cost of chip + pin which would have been very high.

It's why US Cards used in Europe are fun, with the card requesting signature instead of PIN which confused shop staff. Some US banks have started issuing Chip + Pin cards for frequent travelers too.

So with Revolut use the security functions to block the card when you don't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    So, I withdrew €200 free this month on the basic account, then signed up for Premium and got another €400 free allowance. So €600 fee-free withdrawals this month. ;)

Plus the health insurance will come in handy now as I'm about to do some trekking etc.

Will cancel it in a few days when the trip is over. :)

Back from trip yesterday and cancelled the Premium account today as I'd already used up the €600 free allowance for ATM withdrawals. The downgrade went through instantly and I didn't need to wait 14 days. Now it's saying I have another €200 of free ATM withdrawals this month after I reduced my account back down to Standard.

So for anyone travelling in a month consider doing this to avoid ATM fees...

- Take out €200 from ATM
    - Send them a message to cancel Premium and you can take out another €200 fee-free

I didn't bother pursuing the medical claim as the excess was £95 but my bill was only around £50, so my main travel insurance will probably cover that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Back from trip yesterday and cancelled the Premium account today as I'd already used up the €600 free allowance for ATM withdrawals. The downgrade went through instantly and I didn't need to wait 14 days. Now it's saying I have another €200 of free ATM withdrawals this month after I reduced my account back down to Standard.

So for anyone travelling in a month consider doing this to avoid ATM fees...

- Take out €200 from ATM
    - Send them a message to cancel Premium and you can take out another €200 fee-free

I didn't bother pursuing the medical claim as the excess was £95 but my bill was only around £50, so my main travel insurance will probably cover that instead.

Perfect. I am travelling for 2 weeks to states on Saturday so this truck will come in handy. That would be a possible €1600 fee free between myself and girlfriends card? So I have 2 weeks when I sign up to premium to cancel is it?

Perfect. I am travelling for 2 weeks to states on Saturday so this truck will come in handy. That would be a possible €1600 fee free between myself and girlfriends card? So I have 2 weeks when I sign up to premium to cancel is it?

You can risk it and go the entire month, then cancel a few days before the 30 day period, but I cancelled after 2 weeks as another poster mentioned it might take 14 days to cancel.

It seemed to take 1 minute.

Perhaps play it safe and withdraw the full amounts within the 2 weeks if you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

It might seem like a silly question, but...
    Thinking about the sign-up to premium, and cancelling after 2 weeks.
    From looking in their app, I can get a physical card sent for free with premium.

If I cancel the premium, and revert back to free, do I get to keep my card?

smartblaa wrote: »
    It might seem like a silly question, but...
    Thinking about the sign-up to premium, and cancelling after 2 weeks.
    From looking in their app, I can get a physical card sent for free with premium.

If I cancel the premium, and revert back to free, do I get to keep my card?

Nope.. someone else mentioned here that if you get the card you need to pay for it if reverting back.

I actually never saw the option to get a physical card when I signed up on the app.. strange. Perhaps it's because I already have a physical card from when I originally signed up over a year ago.. just not a "Premium" card or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Nope.. someone else mentioned here that if you get the card you need to pay for it if reverting back.

I actually never saw the option to get a physical card when I signed up on the app.. strange. Perhaps it's because I already have a physical card from when I originally signed up over a year ago.. just not a "Premium" card or whatever.

ah, no problem. worth asking anyways! thanks

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Not only do you have to pay for the premium card if you revert to a standard account but the card also ceases to function so you'll have paid for a pretty but useless piece of plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Is the card compatible with Uber these days? In the past it hadn't been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Used it in the US with Uber and worked fine.

Quackster wrote: »
    Not only do you have to pay for the premium card if you revert to a standard account but the card also ceases to function so you'll have paid for a pretty but useless piece of plastic.

Do you not get the standard card free anymore when you sign up as a standard user?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Do you not get the standard card free anymore when you sign up as a standard user?

No, only the (first) virtual card is free. You've to pay for both the physical card and its postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's €6 for a standard card to be delivered when you sign up

They refunded me as there was a slight delay

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Last time I tried it on Uber it didn't work but I manged to use PayPal on Uber with Revolut linked to paypal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

New update for mobile insurance, not in Ireland or UK yet but 'other countries coming soon'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Big thread, apologies I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly

While I know there is an annual limit (mine appears to be €30k) is there a daily or monthly limit? Want to but something in GBP for c£1,100

Will this transaction go through ok (will be in a bricks and mortar shop in Belfast)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Big thread, apologies I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly

While I know there is an annual limit (mine appears to be €30k) is there a daily or monthly limit? Want to but something in GBP for c£1,100

Will this transaction go through ok (will be in a bricks and mortar shop in Belfast)

https://revolut.com/fairusage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Heh guys, would this be ideal for me?

I have a tenant in UK could I set him up to xfer montly rent to my revolut account and give him my referece number?

Could I also then transfer some funds to a english bank of my own and keep money on my card for euros?

Hey found this for you, I was of the belief that you had to transfer from your own bank account for revolut.

By bank transfer
    Can a friend make a transfer to my Revolut account?

Topping up in GBP:

If you're a UK resident, you can receive third party payments like a salary into your unique GBP UK current account. You can share your Revolut sort-code and account number with friends easily. Tap 'Top Up' by 'Bank Transfer' and select 'GBP'. Then hit the export button in the top-right of the screen. Remember you need to have your unique GBP account active to receive 3rd party transfers.

Topping up in EUR/USD/PLN/CHF:

Currently you can top-up your Revolut account only from a bank account registered in your name. Transfers from third parties, including but not limited to companies, friends & family, will be returned to the sender's account after deducting processing fees of £5.

If someone else wishes to transfer money to your Revolut account, they can open their own account and then top it up via debit or credit card. They can then transfer this to you instantly via the 'Send' function.

https://revolut.com/faq/#can-a-friend-make-a-transfer-to-my-revolut-account

I don't know how that works for you setting up the app in Ireland? Have you heard of N26? That's more of a bank account than Revolut is.

Now apologies if I'm wrong on any of this I'm sire someone can correct me.

I have Revolut and it's amazing for traveling in the UK with no fee FX.

brendan86 wrote: »
    Heh guys, would this be ideal for me?

I have a tenant in UK could I set him up to xfer montly rent to my revolut account and give him my referece number?

Could I also then transfer some funds to a english bank of my own and keep money on my card for euros?

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Hey found this for you, I was of the belief that you had to transfer from your own bank account for revolut.

By bank transfer
    Can a friend make a transfer to my Revolut account?

Topping up in GBP:

If you're a UK resident, you can receive third party payments like a salary into your unique GBP UK current account. You can share your Revolut sort-code and account number with friends easily. Tap 'Top Up' by 'Bank Transfer' and select 'GBP'. Then hit the export button in the top-right of the screen. Remember you need to have your unique GBP account active to receive 3rd party transfers.

Topping up in EUR/USD/PLN/CHF:

Currently you can top-up your Revolut account only from a bank account registered in your name. Transfers from third parties, including but not limited to companies, friends & family, will be returned to the sender's account after deducting processing fees of £5.

If someone else wishes to transfer money to your Revolut account, they can open their own account and then top it up via debit or credit card. They can then transfer this to you instantly via the 'Send' function.

https://revolut.com/faq/#can-a-friend-make-a-transfer-to-my-revolut-account

I don't know how that works for you setting up the app in Ireland? Have you heard of N26? That's more of a bank account than Revolut is.

Now apologies if I'm wrong on any of this I'm sire someone can correct me.

I have Revolut and it's amazing for traveling in the UK with no fee FX.

Ok thanks gizmo , I see in my revolut it gives me all details for him to xfer to my account but as im not pernament resident maybe not worth it.. I looked into N26 before dont fully understand it maybe I will look into it again..

Yeh I don't fully understand N26 myself either but at the moment it's free to set up an account bar the €5 stamp duty. Might be worth just setting it up before charges come in.

I've transferred from an old UK bank account i had to my Revolut and it was in the account in a couple of hours.
    brendan86 wrote: »
    Ok thanks gizmo , I see in my revolut it gives me all details for him to xfer to my account but as im not pernament resident maybe not worth it.. I looked into N26 before dont fully understand it maybe I will look into it again..

I have just registered to N26 have wait to be fully verified in morning with passport, if N26 allows me to recieve GBP transfers and allows me send GBP and Euro bank transfers will be perfect for my use. When account is up and running will know more.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Revolut did allow Irish residents open an UK 'local account' for a short time but apparently restricted this to UK residents pretty quickly

They allowed the U.K. accounts to stay open too

N26 does not allow you to receive £ payments, they only deal with incoming € payments.

Revolut does no longer offer their individual account number to non UK residents (they did for a time as Dodge pointed out).

Right now any payment to revolut needs to come from a bank account in your own name or it will be rejected unless you got the individual account while it was available.

If you need an easy UK account number you could look at monese (monthly fee) or fire (free) and than combine it with revolut or currencyfair etc for better exchange rates. They are currently not full accounts (direct debits etc.) but monese is moving towards that as of this month. But good enough for receiving a quick UK payment both are.

Dodge wrote: »
    Revolut did allow Irish residents open an UK 'local account' for a short time but apparently restricted this to UK residents pretty quickly

They allowed the U.K. accounts to stay open too

I opened a account when shortly after this thread was started and recieved a card but never used account. I have since been onto support and they gave me details to log back into my account.

I have a uk bank account and reference same with euro to deposit funds.

I can also transfer to any account in 23countries for free it says I have a option to send money to other person so I must have the functions from the start and now I can recieve and send money in GBP I assume..

Will get onto support later when have more time to confirm

Thanks

• Advertisement

Was talking to support there my account was not allowed access to anyone transferring money unless it came from my name but then was just asked to send in proof I have a address in england and they would give me my own uk current account for xfers, so sent in screenshot of a maintenance bill I had online now have full access to revolut now.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement