Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Donal55 wrote: »
    A good time to buy stg this morning.
    .87+ on the exchange.
    That exit poll has hit sterling.

1 EUR = 0.878805 GBP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

watching it on the Revolut myself, I wonder will it go over the .90???
    That exit poll has hit sterling.

1 EUR = 0.878805 GBP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Pound dropped 2 cents against the dollar after exit polls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Just been scammed in Manchester 290 euro on a revoult card. Will their by any chance of getting money back or just forget? Can't get any help on the support

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

but1er wrote: »
    Just been scammed in Manchester 290 euro on a revoult card. Will their by any chance of getting money back or just forget? Can't get any help on the support

Can you give us more details as to how you were scammed please, might be helpful to others.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »

Can you give us more details as to how you were scammed please, might be helpful to others.

Purchased wellies in sports direct by tap. 12 mins later I get a notification from revoult saying payment of 290 paid in electronic traders. Quick Google discovered its a second hand shop across. I went to the shop to investigate. They tried twice and took a signature for the payment. They never checked the name on the card or the signature and off your man went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Purchased wellies in sports direct by tap. 12 mins later I get a notification from revoult saying payment of 290 paid in electronic traders. Quick Google discovered its a second hand shop across. I went to the shop to investigate. They tried twice and took a signature for the payment. They never checked the name on the card or the signature and off your man went.

Maybe I'm a bit simple but how did they get your card details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How do you purchase by tap? :confused:

JeffKenna wrote: »

Maybe I'm a bit simple but how did they get your card details?

This is the mystery. No idea how they got it. Did they clone it from a payment in sports direct shop? By tap I mean I tapped the car for a payment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The problem with NFC cards is it's pretty easy to steal the details without you even realising. The person would just need a little electronic device on them, then rub past you and the device will scan your card details.

and you mentioned they swiped the card as opposed to chip&pin so that explains that part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This instance of you being scammed is not really a flaw in Revolut's service it's just unfortunate that it was your Revolut card that was compromised it could have easily been your visa or debit card. I would be interested to see how you fair out regards getting your money back from them though, as that does actually affect us all. Be sure to let us know how this pans out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Isn't there an option to turn off magnetic strip payments? Would that help this kind of fraud?

Edit: Disable magstripe in card security)?
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    The problem with NFC cards is it's pretty easy to steal the details without you even realising. The person would just need a little electronic device on them, then rub past you and the device will scan your card details.

and you mentioned they swiped the card as opposed to chip&pin so that explains that part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

gizmo81 wrote:
    Isn't there an option to turn off magnetic strip payments? Would that help this kind of fraud?

There is. There should be an option to disable contactless too and disable the card altogether, just enable it when you go to use it.

Thanks for reminding me tho, must disable magstrip myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There should be an option to disable contactless too and disable the card altogether, just enable it when you go to use it.

There are options to do both those, in Security section of the card. The same wplace where you disable the magnetic strip option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Hopefully you'll get the money back anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Am I right in thinking that the shop are responsible in that case if they cant get the money back from the thief? They opted to allow the least secure method of payment. Maybe they checked the fake signature against the fake signature on the duplicate card. Do banks even indemnify against magstripe payments any more?

Another question: I was due a refund against something I bought online within the cooling off period a few weeks ago. I've been assured the refund has been processed but nothing has shown up on my card yet. Does this normally take a while with Revolut? It's been over 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I was in the states last week and it was all signing. I reckon 80 percent of purchases were signatures and the remainder chip and pin

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

gizmo81 wrote: »

Edit: Disable magstripe in card security)?

There is absolutely no reason not to have the magstripe disabled unless you're in backward places like the US. Indeed disabling the magstripe is the first thing anyone should do when they set up a Revolut account.

As the shop accepted a swipe & signature payment, they are liable for the fraud.

I disagreed. Many places use it here. A prime example is car park ticket machine, Savoy cinema to purchased tickets at the desk. Cinemas again like savoy and the lighthouse and I think cineplex to claim tickets bought online and although rare, some old atm machines.

Contactless is the biggest security risk and I have that turned off .

AFAIK when a shop swipe the card they take the security risk of fraud. But for places like car park they won't loss anything if there is fraud and they save the money on new machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

bpb101 wrote: »
    IContactless is the biggest security risk and I have that turned off .

You know disabling contactless in the app doesn't turn off NFC on the card right? All you're doing is stopping transactions from completing. You can still end up with the fraudulent situation above where the details required to duplicate a magstripe card can be technically skimmed.

If you mean you're protecting against someone rubbing up against you with a card terminal and doing a transaction without your knowledge, I don't see that as that big a risk as you have a full electronic record of the transaction which can be disputed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I have those little foil covers for all my cards. Does anyone know if these actually work or are they just the equivalent of a foil hat on my head?:D

Well pass the Bacofoil as you are not alone. I use one of these…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I was looking for a one of these thanks. Oh, and Major League Baseball are spying on us.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bpb101 wrote: »
    I disagreed. Many places use it here. A prime example is car park ticket machine, Savoy cinema to purchased tickets at the desk. Cinemas again like savoy and the lighthouse and I think cineplex to claim tickets bought online and although rare, some old atm machines.

Yeah, that's true, forgot about vending machines. And I used my N26 card at a toll booth just last week!

But best using a bank card rather than Revolut for stuff like that unless you're in a non-euro country and only then turn on the magstripe to complete the transaction and turn it off again.

Cheapskate here - these are the ones I have at £2.69.
    I actually pondered making my own with foil ...

TheChizler wrote: »
    You know disabling contactless in the app doesn't turn off NFC on the card right? All you're doing is stopping transactions from completing. You can still end up with the fraudulent situation above where the details required to duplicate a magstripe card can be technically skimmed.

If you mean you're protecting against someone rubbing up against you with a card terminal and doing a transaction without your knowledge, I don't see that as that big a risk as you have a full electronic record of the transaction which can be disputed.
    i know it doesn't stop nfc on the card. But if somebody takes your card they cant just flash it

One big flaw with how contact is used is in shop when you hand your card to them to put into the machine they try and tap it( i dont know how much your trying to tap their but i didnt say you could.)
    my normal aib card doesnt have contactless.
    shops have often tried to tap by normal bank card like 3 or 4 times before they realize that there is no nfc chip in it

Anyone else having a problem with Revolut top-ups and having to enter the CVC code every time?

I had to update my expired bank card in the Revolut App and went through the re-verification process with no problem. However, I now have to enter the CVC number every time, which then triggers the Verified-by-Visa security feature and another password step. This is a real PITA!

I got on to support - boy, but that is a painful experience all on its own! Twenty minutes (at least) between every response and most of those not actually answering the question at all. In the end, after a protracted period of about 4 hours for the process, the reply I got stated that I would have to continue to enter the security code for now but 'you will not need to enter it after some time'!

I have no idea what that actually means but I thought top-ups were supposed to be straightforward - they certainly were in the past and I was one of the early adopters of Revolut.

I am also but I only changed my card on it in the past week as I moved from AIB to PTSB. I put it down to that as I have only done 2 top ups since the change. It was a pain as I forgot my verified by visa password.

And another thing. Mine seems to be getting moody. I used it in Sainsbury's on Monday no problem, Woodie's in Dundalk today (contactless) no problem then stopped for petrol in GO, Dundalk and it refused and had to use the CC. Answers on a postcard please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I am also but I only changed my card on it in the past week as I moved from AIB to PTSB. I put it down to that as I have only done 2 top ups since the change. It was a pain as I forgot my verified by visa password.

And another thing. Mine seems to be getting moody. I used it in Sainsbury's on Monday no problem, Woodie's in Dundalk today (contactless) no problem then stopped for petrol in GO, Dundalk and it refused and had to use the CC. Answers on a postcard please.

Contactless will fail every 5 goes it makes you input your pin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement