Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

DGRulz wrote: »
    Asked my for the usual 4 photos so I sent them with my Public Services card, they claim its not a National ID, but given its issued by the DOSW I would have thought it was?

We don't have a "National ID card", although that one should be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

OU812 wrote: »
    We don't have a "National ID card", although that one should be it.

It's a National ID Card by another name. It took them a few years but they finally got there in the end (may not be rolled out to everyone yet but ultimately it will be).

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's a National ID Card by another name. It took them a few years but they finally got there in the end (may not be rolled out to everyone yet but ultimately it will be).

It simply doesn't meet the requirements of a national ID card. It doesn't even have a person's DOB FFS!

Instead of one proper national ID card, we're inflicted with both this and the passport card instead. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Many more currencies added like Sing Dollar, Aus Dollar, etc. I don't know if it's posted here before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Hi folks, just posting to see if anyone has had similar experience using Revolut as I've had below.

I ordered something from Curry's UK last Thursday and the order was cancelled on the Friday. The money is still deducted from my Revolut card and is showing up that it either needs to be rejected or accepted by the merchant.

I contacted Curry's and they said the have rejected the transaction and have done all they need to do on their end. I also contacted Revolut and they said it could take up to 10 days for the money to be refunded to my card.

Has anyone had similar experience using Revolut?

Its nearly a week now since the order was cancelled and the money is still held up on the card. Don't remember having that much of a wait with other cards and if its a standard thing with Revolut then I definitely won't be using the card for ordering online again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

skerry wrote: »
    Hi folks, just posting to see if anyone has had similar experience using Revolut as I've had below.

I ordered something from Curry's UK last Thursday and the order was cancelled on the Friday. The money is still deducted from my Revolut card and is showing up that it either needs to be rejected or accepted by the merchant.

I contacted Curry's and they said the have rejected the transaction and have done all they need to do on their end. I also contacted Revolut and they said it could take up to 10 days for the money to be refunded to my card.

Its nearly a week now since the order was cancelled and the money is still held up on the card. Don't remember having that much of a wait with other cards and if its a standard thing with Revolut then I definitely won't be using the card for ordering online again.

Usually a week for the funds to released back. Did curry's give you a reason.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Usually a week for the funds to released back. Did curry's give you a reason.

They said there was confusion about billing address and thinking back I may have accidentally put the Parcel Motel address as billing address.

Just thought it an excessive wait to get funds back on the card. It was for a birthday present which I've well missed now and won't get to reorder until funds are released back to the card.

Is a week standard enough wait time with any card provider?

Maybe it just feels worse as other cards would generally have more money in the for day to day stuff whereas Revolut I only top up as I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Authorization holds usually go up to 10 days but for some merchants they can take up to 30 days if that is how long it takes for the merchant to provide the service they provide. This is to give the merchant time to process the transaction and tell the bank what the final amount is.

The only way to speed it up is to have the merchant void the authorization hold which should in theory release the amount nearly immediately, but in reality takes up to 3 days.

Curry's canceling the order might just mean that they are never going to request the full amount from the bank, i.e. let the authorization hold expire rather than canceling the authorization hold which would be the right way of doing it.

I'm afraid you are stuck there until the authorization hold expires.

Revolut usually gives merchants 10 days to transmit the final amount as per their FAQ:
    A pending transaction is a payment which has been authorised but is still awaiting the merchant's confirmation or reversal. The amount won’t be available on your balance until the merchant either cancels the payment or 10 working days have passed and the money hasn't been claimed. After this time, your balance should be adjusted automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm waiting over a month for a refund from a car parts company in the UK. They claim they processed the refund, and Revolut say they can't do with anything without the transaction number, which the company are ignoring my requests for. Not sure who's to blame here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm waiting over a month for a refund from a car parts company in the UK. They claim they processed the refund, and Revolut say they can't do with anything without the transaction number, which the company are ignoring my requests for. Not sure who's to blame here.

Revolut is really bad with refunds in my experience, it takes ages to get the refunds to the card, most of the times manual interaction with support is needed to get that sorted.

It looks like they have problems in their system to credit the refund to the correct account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Has anyone had any trouble with topping - up? Topped up by 30 € at 10.30 this morning and still "awaiting transfer"

TheChizler wrote: »

This is my fear at the moment. They did say that if it hadn't gone back to the card after 10 days to contact them but seems a long time. Will see how it goes but if I've to go chasing them again I won't be using the card again for ordering online. Cheap exchange rates are nice but not at the expense of having to badger them every time you have a transaction cancelled.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This is my fear at the moment. They did say that if it hadn't gone back to the card after 10 days to contact them but seems a long time. Will see how it goes but if I've to go chasing them again I won't be using the card again for ordering online. Cheap exchange rates are nice but not at the expense of having to badger them every time you have a transaction cancelled.

You're fine as yours is a pending transaction which will be released back to your card automaticlly, albeit with an annoying wait. The problem others are having is with refunds from completed transactions where they have returned the goods etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

I can't login to my Revolut app at all?

Any ideas what is wrong? It worked this morning.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

Has anyone had any trouble with topping - up? Topped up by 30 € at 10.30 this morning and still "awaiting transfer"
    Pablo1802 wrote: »

Thanks

I can do both, but I have used it for a transaction today which hasn't appeared in my transaction log, but the credit has left my account for it. I haven't been using it that long though so this might be normal, but any previous transactions have appeared immediately.

Quackster wrote: »
    You're fine as yours is a pending transaction which will be released back to your card automaticlly, albeit with an annoying wait. The problem others are having is with refunds from completed transactions where they have returned the goods etc.

Cheers. I might go ahead and order the item from somewhere else using my normal debit card so. I presume it's straightforward enough to transfer the refunded money back into my bank account once it comes through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Pablo1802 wrote: »

Thanks

EDIT: Apps back working now.

I'd had the same problem, went to use the app just now and it was frozen, killed the process and opened it again and I couldn't log in.

https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/880372095833833472

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Placed order with supplier, Mastercard Verification showed on the screen but went through with any input from me.

Supplier cancelled the order and called me to say it failed Mastercard verification.

Anyone seen this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

paddy19 wrote: »
    Placed order with supplier, Mastercard Verification showed on the screen but went through with any input from me.

Supplier cancelled the order and called me to say it failed Mastercard verification.

They don't support (or at least didn't) 3D secure or whatever the MasterCard version of verified by visa is.

The nice lady from Revolut Support said they do use Mastercard Verification but cannot see what happened until the transaction goes through.

I never came across it but this was my first big transaction.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has had to use the MasterCard Verification process with Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

paddy19 wrote: »

What address were you using

irishgeo wrote: »
    What address were you using

I used my own Republic of Ireland shipping and billing address. Same address as I used when I registered the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Hi awaiting a response thro Revolut app (can take bloody ages as you all surely know) so said I'd ask here has anyone experienced similar

Bought something from China yesterday (in CNY). 133.10 and was charged 17.26 (very close to mid market per XE). Today I log into Revolut and see the transaction has changed to 18.23. note this does not show as two separate transactions - the old amount simply changed. Any idea what's going on here or is it simply the case not to use Revolut unless it's a currency that you can have a "wallet" for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Hi awaiting a response thro Revolut app (can take bloody ages as you all surely know) so said I'd ask here has anyone experienced similar

Bought something from China yesterday (in CNY). 133.10 and was charged 17.26 (very close to mid market per XE). Today I log into Revolut and see the transaction has changed to 18.23. note this does not show as two separate transactions - the old amount simply changed. Any idea what's going on here or is it simply the case not to use Revolut unless it's a currency that you can have a "wallet" for?

What could have happened here is that the merchant cancelled the pre authorization and made a fresh transaction on the settlement day.

The quote rate thro XE is almost unchanged

And the CNY amount charged is unchanged also. All that's changed is the EUR amount that's been charged to my account

So after a wait of 16 hours I finally got a response .....

Turns out my transaction (with Shoot Jerseys) was as follows:

- website quotes prices in USD
    - when I bought it showed up on Revolut as CNY
    - speaking to Revolut they say the transaction was actually in GBP and the merchant converted

Has anyone used shoot before? There's a long thread on the soccer forum but I can't access. Essentially looking on how I can know how I'm being billed in advance to minimise charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Hi guys,

My parents are going to Australia in 8 weeks I was wondering if I should set him up with revolut account .. It would work out a lot cheaper wouldn't it? And I see you can now exchange funds from euro to aus dollars in the app.

Will he have any problems using the card over there paying for food in restaurants or or anything else people use cards for? I know there's a fee with withdrawals so will advise him to try pay with card where possible.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Payments are down today, again. Must be the third or fourth time in recent months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

brendan86 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My parents are going to Australia in 8 weeks I was wondering if I should set him up with revolut account .. It would work out a lot cheaper wouldn't it? And I see you can now exchange funds from euro to aus dollars in the app.

Will he have any problems using the card over there paying for food in restaurants or or anything else people use cards for? I know there's a fee with withdrawals so will advise him to try pay with card where possible.

Thanks

To answer the specific questions:

1) Yes
    2) He shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Savman wrote: »
    Payments are down today, again. Must be the third or fourth time in recent months.

It's the second time in a week anyway. I've used it a fair bit this week and thankfully haven't been caught out but it's definitely happening too often for comfort

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement