Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It's not only them, there are several companies that have had an outage this morning. Most of the modern fintech providers in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's not only them, there are several companies that have had an outage this morning. Most of the modern fintech providers in fact.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uk-fintech-firms-monzo-revolut-curve-loot-down-users-2017-7?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Funny enough I was using revolut all day today, no issues. Must have been fortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Got my money back from Manchester fraud case at the start of June. Long process but its back. Delighted but will never use reovult again

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I've used my Revolut card three or four times today, also topped up and sent money to someone, no issues with any of those transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Revolut said I had insufficient funds for an Amazon transaction today.

Had money in sterling, euro and dollar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Revolut said I had insufficient funds for an Amazon transaction today.

Had money in sterling, euro and dollar.

It went down twice today.

Can't understand how this never happens to my bricks & mortar bank. Very hard to trust them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Transfered euro to sterling and seems to have gone through now :confused:
    OU812 wrote: »

Can't understand how this never happens to my bricks & mortar bank. Very hard to trust them.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

OU812 wrote: »

You're obviously not a customer of Ulster Bank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

Quackster wrote: »
    You're obviously not a customer of Ulster Bank!

Actually, I am & apart from one incidence in 2011 or 2012, (can't remember which), I've never had any issues with them. That one time though I was inconvenienced as I was abroad at the time & was left unable to access funds for several days - not a *huge* deal as I had some cash & a credit card on me, but they compensated me extremely well when I kicked up a fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

To save me wading through 4,000 posts,if I intend to use my revolut card in the UK(card purchases),do I need to transfer money into sterling on the app first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

No, you can keep it in euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

maximoose wrote:
    No, you can keep it in euro.

The rate isn't great at the weekend as the fx markets are closed.

So if you are planning to use it at the weekends you are better off converting it to sterling during the week first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

dubrov wrote: »
    The rate isn't great at the weekend as the fx markets are closed.

So if you are planning to use it at the weekends you are better off converting it to sterling during the week first

Better yet is to track when sterling is at it's lowest and buy in bulk.

Tend to do this for Amazon despite not ordering anything for a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

mrcheez wrote:
    Better yet is to track when sterling is at it's lowest and buy in bulk.

If you can consistently predict when sterling is at its lowest you are in the wrong game. Easy millions await you in trading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

dubrov wrote: »
    If you can consistently predict when sterling is at its lowest you are in the wrong game. Easy millions await you in trading

https://www.dailyfx.com/eur-gbp

I'll take that cheque for a million now please, k thx

Bitcoin coming.

Also a new funding round - might take a punt

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-fintech-revolut-idUSKBN19W2U0

I don't know, they promised their own bank license and direct mastercard issuing and instead they now move from paysafe to wirecard (which dominates the prepaid issuer area).

Maybe it's only a temporary step because paysafe did not allow them to serve some markets (like Switzerland which is now back online due to wirecard being the issuer) but still there is very little communication about that.

Also while there are signs that with wirecard issuing the cards they will shortly do ApplePay and AndroidPay overall I think there is only limited amount of growth potential in the end with more and more providers coming in (Monese is now also going to do Euro accounts).

So the only area where they could make money is if they offer premium services, but looking at the debacle with the premium cards not being delivered (because of the move to wirecard) and the value for money I see that as very hard business if other providers are offering better service for a better flat fee for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Monese at 5 GBP per month isn't a real competitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Have taken the plunge and registered. Will be in Oz later in the year for a while and will report back on how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Tristram wrote: »
    Have taken the plunge and registered. Will be in Oz later in the year for a while and will report back on how it goes.

- I've seen some good feedback on Oz but just make sure you always have a back up card and even then some small amount of Oz Dollars with you.

They seam to have started rolling out IBAN for € accounts. Check in the App by going on top up / bank transfer / euro.

Also it seams they finally are sending out premium cards (issued by Wirecard, coded as prepaid cards).

They seam to have started rolling out IBAN for € accounts. Check in the App by going on top up / bank transfer / euro.

Also it seams they finally are sending out premium cards (issued by Wirecard, coded as prepaid cards).
    Not there for me yet, however I do seem to be able to activate a sterling account for some reason...
    Any consequence to opening another account - I have a fuzzy recollection of offshore accounts in the 90s and various tax liabilities as a result...

soirish wrote: »
    Monese at 5 GBP per month isn't a real competitor.

That depends on your usage.

If you withdraw more cash than the Revolut allowance it might be cheaper.

Plus Monese offers some additional features like direct debits but their rates are also worse as they are the fixed mastercard rates.

It remain to be seen what the pricing is going to be for their € account and how it is linked to the £ account. It could make competition to N26 for sure.

Dardania wrote: »
    Not there for me yet, however I do seem to be able to activate a sterling account for some reason...
    Any consequence to opening another account - I have a fuzzy recollection of offshore accounts in the 90s and various tax liabilities as a result...

It is my understanding, that you will need to declare it in your tax return (the revolut account not each IBAN assigned to it).

Plus you will need to provide them with your PPS number at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just noticed I can activate a Euro account (with IBAN). Any reason why I should/shouldn't?

The advantage of having your own IBAN (Lithuania based) is that you can make payments to it without a reference number to load the card.

It also allows other people/organizations to make payments to that account to load your card, so you could receive payments directly to the card.

Now it's not a current account and it does not change the way payments out are done (at this time).

It's just easier to load via bank transfer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Got app notification today that I can activate a Euro account (with IBAN). Can't find the option anywhere in app. Think it should show under profile. Have version 4.5.3_updated 2 days ago. Am free user. Anybody care to put up screenshot showing this Euro IBAN option.
    35d0qyf.jpg
    Thanks

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

click account details, then the EUR account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Dardania wrote: »
    click account details, then the EUR account

Do you think 3rd parties can make one-off payments into this account. For example a sometimes generous family member in U.S.A. might like to pay in say $1,000 randomly.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement