Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

dohouch wrote: »
    Do you think 3rd parties can make one-off payments into this account. For example a sometimes generous family member in U.S.A. might like to pay in say $1,000 randomly.

Third party payments in are perfectly fine, but only in euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Personal GBP accounts are available again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hopefully, Revolut add standing order and direct debit functionality to their EUR accounts so. Would be nice to see new current account competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Do you think 3rd parties can make one-off payments into this account. For example a sometimes generous family member in U.S.A. might like to pay in say $1,000 randomly.

You could open a boderless account by transferwise, they give you a US bank account number for that your generous family member can use. Cheaper for him and cheaper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

You could open a boderless account by transferwise, they give you a US bank account number for that your generous family member can use. Cheaper for him and cheaper for you.

Let's say he wants to cash the $1000 in Ireland. Transferwise will charge 1% conversion fee and €0,60 for the outgoing transfer. Thats around €7 in fees which is alright but not great.

• Advertisement

soirish wrote: »
    Let's say he wants to cash the $1000 in Ireland. Transferwise will charge 1% conversion fee and €0,60 for the outgoing transfer. Thats around €7 in fees which is alright but not great.

Yeah but there are no wire transfer fees involved for him sending to an account outside the USA (which are rather high in the USA) as the account is US based. So he can do it as domestic ACH to the borderless account which for most banks in the USA is free, while wire transfers can cost 15-35$.

Or combine borderless with revolut and withdraw to your $ revolut account for 1.30$ and than use it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

So my U.S.A. benefactor would do a $ transfer to my LT Revolut Euro account ,,, and Revolut would do the exchange--OR--OR-- does the exchange to Euro have to be done in U.S.A. at U.S. bank and then Euro amount transferred ? (( Up to now it has been done with paper cheque, and my local bank says they're going out of style quickly !))

thanks

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Giving that several European SEPA capable banks can't even deal with the new Revolut € IBAN (as they have not implemented SEPA correctly and can't deal with an LT IBAN with a UK BIC) you might not be able to get money from outside SEPA area in the way you want it.

You need to contact support and ask them if they are able to accept $ payments into the account and if they actually accept non SEPA payments in €.

The best way is to get a US account (borderless or some other provider) and use that instead if you have regular incidents of getting money from the USA.

Remember that receiving money out of the USA is creating a heavy administrative burden on a bank, so most fintech companies do not like to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rawwrrrr

Hi all, heading to New York and considering getting this as an alternative to my debit card to withdraw cash, etc. Reading through the posts however I'm slightly concerned about the possibility of fraud occuring on the card and not getting the money back! Anyone any advice? Might just opt for the PostFx one otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Disabling the card while you're not using it could reassure you. IIRC the An Post one only has limited protection as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

rawwrrrr wrote: »
    Hi all, heading to New York and considering getting this as an alternative to my debit card to withdraw cash, etc. Reading through the posts however I'm slightly concerned about the possibility of fraud occuring on the card and not getting the money back! Anyone any advice? Might just opt for the PostFx one otherwise!

The great thing about the Revolut in my opinion is. So you have €1000 you want to bring to New York and you have it in your say Bank of Ireland account.

Day one transfer €100 onto your Revolut, it's instant and no fees.

Day two repeat. And so on.

You don't have to load all your spending money on day one.

I had An Post Fx last time i was in NY and it was really awkward topping up but I think they may have improved it recently.

Thinking about getting one of these for a trip to Thailand.
    Is there an atm charge ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thinking about getting one of these for a trip to Thailand.
    Is there an atm charge ?

https://revolut.com/faq/#are-there-any-charges

Any advice please,

I tried to book a ticket on Ticketmaster.com for my NY trip but it just keeps coming up with the error Oops. Usually it highlights the section where the oops is.

I've used Revolut to book with Telecharge no problem.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Any advice please,

I tried to book a ticket on Ticketmaster.com for my NY trip but it just keeps coming up with the error Oops. Usually it highlights the section where the oops is.

Did you make sure e commerce is enabled in security settings?

Did you make sure e commerce is enabled in security settings?

Thanks, yeh only have magstripe and ATM withdrawals disabled.

Thanks, yeh only have magstripe and ATM withdrawals disabled.

Maybe the usuals then in terms of delivery address matching billing address etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Any advice please,

Yes, I was recently in the US and couldn't use my revolut card (same issue) to buy baseball tickets from the MLB website as they use ticketmaster. I ended up using Stubhub and no issues purchasing there...

I did a payment from my bunq account at 5:36 this morning to my € IBAN from Revolut and at 6:53 it was credited to my Revolut card.

Looks like the € IBAN uses real time clearance as bunq does, which is excellent.

Now I also did a payment from my PTSB account this morning but that is still not there, let's see when that shows up.

So happened again tonight. I had £9 and €50 and $60.

I purchased something for £15 and instead of taking £9 and then £6 from my Euro balance it took it all from my Euro balance.

This happened on Amazon before but I thought maybe it was because I didn't select pay in £. But this website hadn't an option

Anyone have any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,296 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So happened again tonight. I had £9 and €50 and $60.

I purchased something for £15 and instead of taking £9 and then £6 from my Euro balance it took it all from my Euro balance.

This happened on Amazon before but I thought maybe it was because I didn't select pay in £. But this website hadn't an option

Anyone have any ideas?

I'd assume it's because you didn't have the full £15 in your sterling balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

From their FAQ
    What balance will my Revolut card use when I am abroad?

Your Revolut account can hold a balance in EUR, GBP, USD, PLN and CHF. The card selects which balance to use in the following order:

*The local currency of the merchant/ATM e.g. if you are in Spain, it will deduct funds from your Euro balance.

*Your base currency - i.e. if you used a UK address to sign-up, your base currency will be GBP.

*Your largest balance.

You need to have sufficient funds in one single balance in order to make a transaction. If you don’t have enough funds in the balance of the local currency, it will default to your next largest balance and so on.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'd assume it's because you didn't have the full £15 in your sterling balance

No previously it has taken the amount I have had in Sterling and then gone to the Euro for the balance.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No previously it has taken the amount I have had in Sterling and then gone to the Euro for the balance.

Not for me. It's always required me to have enough funds in a single currency to cover the transaction amount ever since I started using Revolut nearly two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Quackster wrote: »
    Not for me. It's always required me to have enough funds in a single currency to cover the transaction amount ever since I started using Revolut nearly two years ago.

Same here - always from the currency that had enough to cover it all. Sometimes Amazon splits up payment requests from Marketplace sellers and, in that instance, it appears as if it was divided between currencies, but only when a smaller amount was sufficient to cover one purchase in sterling, for example.

Thanks people, maybe I totally imagined it.:confused:

My PTSB transfer from Monday to my € IBAN reached my Revolut card this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Card arrived today. Unfortunately I am stuck in processing logjam for ID verification. Also, unless I am mistaken about the hours, support isn't online when it is supposed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Coeus wrote: »
    Yes, I was recently in the US and couldn't use my revolut card (same issue) to buy baseball tickets from the MLB website as they use ticketmaster. I ended up using Stubhub and no issues purchasing there...

It depends on the team. I was able to buy tickets for the Rays using Revolut. They don't use ticketmaster though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,427 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I doubt it did

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement